Kotu's NA-t swap

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
I dont know if it was me i would still put an aftermarket MHG in just to be safe, ecspecially since your shooting for 350hp+ It wouldnt hurt, it's worth the extra money. its like $300 for a package, Greddy timing belt, HG & Head studs. Or just go with the MHG & Head studs. Just make sure you torque the head down right. Im not sure how much i dont remember, maybe 80-85lbs. Just ask someone on here. But i would still consider it if your planning on running more than 12psi. Actually now that i think about it that guy in Lynn has a MHG in his supra. Maybe you can buy that off him. See i always have good ideas! :biglaugh: But anyway just think about that and put up some god damn pictures of your progress :icon_mad: lol peace

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The only problem im having w/ picking the MHG is because i already have to spend about $500 on pistons, bearings, ARP, gasket set, i wasnt planning on spending a grand on the motor. i know im never gonna upgrade from the stock ct-26, and i only said 350 as the most highest evar. im never gonna actually hit 350, shit ill be happy if i hit 300 :icon_surp. i really dont wanna try putting a MHG on an unmachined head+block, then again i have heard a few people have gotten away w/ this.
gah.... so many different routes so little money.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Well yea thats true too i wouldnt put a MHG on an unmachined head. I didnt think of that. And if your already spending all that money on that other shit then guess its not worth it. But about that paint progress.....WE WANT PICS OR BAN!!!!!!! :evil2:

:biglaugh:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
haha raining today so no paint, but i'll put up some pics of the finished bay and i got the rest of the car masked. MAYBE ill paint the hood, doors, header panel, mirrors, hatch, and moldings today. damn rain and coldness is ruining my plans.

ill be ordering my clevite 77 bearings, timing belt + tensioner, ARP headbolts, and gasket set today. where can i get good OEM pistons. dont wanna spend more than $200 if possible.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
Yeah the rain sucks. :nono: I was going to screw around with my car today, maybe start it, but i dont wanna be out side in the rain. Too cold. And about the pistons. Im not sure..try in the for sale section on here. Might find some.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
2543arvin;870239 said:
The 7ms had 6m cranks in them up until late 89. My 89 7MGTE had a 6m crank in it when we took it apart. I was like WTF? But then found out it was no biggie. Supposedly the 6M revs faster, but the 7M revs smoother. I wouldnt think that 400hp would be a problem on it. Atleast I hope not, cause Im getting close.

guy in malta was making 1200+rwhp on a knife edged 6m crank. his problem was bending them, though he was running a insane amount of timing advance. was shifting at 9k rpm's as well. he had the engine in a long tube dragster. you wont have any probs wit hthe crank. just make sure all the oil holes ae properly chamafered. ran across alot myself that #2 rod throw wasnt

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
also, use a 4 puck ceramic clutch disc with sprung hub. that disc is worn alot. the 4 puck should hold great. the pp you have appears to be a stock unit. also, make sure to go mhg. its cheap insurance. nice build so far.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
williamb82;880843 said:
also, use a 4 puck ceramic clutch disc with sprung hub. that disc is worn alot. the 4 puck should hold great. the pp you have appears to be a stock unit. also, make sure to go mhg. its cheap insurance. nice build so far.

Thats what i said about the Head Gasket too. Its probably a good idea. Otherwise your future could hold this: ::bhg:: :cry:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
hmm.... maybe ill call the shop again tomorrow and see if they can come down on the prices a lil bit. i really wasnt planning on spending a grand on this motor. shit i only spent $250 on paint lol.
ill see if the block and head are warped tomorrow and how bad. if they're within tolerance can i put a MHG on it or is there another reason i need to get it decked?

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
kotu100;881134 said:
hmm.... maybe ill call the shop again tomorrow and see if they can come down on the prices a lil bit. i really wasnt planning on spending a grand on this motor. shit i only spent $250 on paint lol.
ill see if the block and head are warped tomorrow and how bad. if they're within tolerance can i put a MHG on it or is there another reason i need to get it decked?

I spent nearly two grand on my engine to have it done right. New Toyota GTE oil pump, new pistons, cleavites, machined block/head with Titan MS MHG. I'm not looking to go over 300 hp either but I wanted a reliable platform just in case I do.:naughty:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
TuRbOdReAmZ87;887471 said:
No updates?? :nono:

i've basically just been doing prep work as its waaaay too cold to paint. cut out the grille in the stock bumper. just gonna see if i can finish the scuffing today so i can clean up and then its just playing the waiting game for the weather.
oh and also today im gonna order my pistons, and maybe bring my block and head to the machine shop. but that will be done by the end of the week.
friggin 25* out, i hate new england.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
so i measured the rod journals and the cylinder bore.
cylinder bore is between 3.2675-3.2685, well within spec.
rod journals are 2.047 all around. didnt get a chance to spec the rest out but so far, im thinkin this is a very low mileage engine that a previous owner swapped in, had problems and thought the motor was on its way out. on to some pics. also included is the custom hackjob i did to the front bumper. ill be adding some type of lip to it before paint, just not sure which.

p889769_1.jpg

the tools i got at a local Wholesale Tool, got the micros, caliper, telescoping gauges, gear puller, 4ft straightedge, and some dust masks all for less than $100.

p889769_2.jpg

this is the mess i call my workbench.... i can wait to finish this car so i can clean up the place.

p889769_3.jpg

the rest of it

p889769_4.jpg

p889769_5.jpg

2 of the main bearings. how they look?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
hm..... nah, if anything i'd just smooth it out but i plan on keeping my front plate on. dont wanna get busted by the cops. thats the whole point of this build.

AAAHHH i cant wait to get this thing on teh road.

saw another supra yesterday. 89+ @ a gas station. i pulled in to see if it was for sale. unfortunately not but i learned that the owner is getting the engine fixed. for the 4TH time! i asked to leave a number and name so the owner could call if he was intrested in selling but no dice.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
kotu100;880656 said:
, ... where can i get good OEM pistons. dont wanna spend more than $200 if possible...

I have a set of OEM type .020 over anodized pistons w/ rings. I was going to use them in a second rebuild, but I'd sell em for $85 + shipping.

TuRbOdReAmZ87

Supramania Regular
Feb 2, 2007
Southern mass
www.cardomain.com
kotu100;890011 said:
hm..... nah, if anything i'd just smooth it out but i plan on keeping my front plate on. dont wanna get busted by the cops. thats the whole point of this build.

AAAHHH i cant wait to get this thing on teh road.

saw another supra yesterday. 89+ @ a gas station. i pulled in to see if it was for sale. unfortunately not but i learned that the owner is getting the engine fixed. for the 4TH time! i asked to leave a number and name so the owner could call if he was intrested in selling but no dice.

Well you could always keep the plate in the car on the dash. Thats what i did after i crashed mine. Really? What color was the supra? Was it light blue?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Yesterday, saw two chicks in a blue 89 wingless w/ 18" TSW Thruxtons and an N1.
How hot is that??
sorry- I KNOW it was OT