How do you beat depression?

NgoFcukinWay

Formerly Got Boost?
Apr 3, 2005
Houston, Tx
Dude, you shoulda called me up. I'm free today and Saturday. I'm gonna be doing a bit of job hunting today then probably head down to Champions Toyota to pick up some stuff and talk to my brother-in-law about the Celica.

I've been through a depression type phase back in high school. I knocked myself out of it cuz I noticed that I was letting other people down and to me, it wasn't worth it. So I went and found other things to do like go to car meets and what not to just hang out with new people. That's what I did, but I don't think it was anything major.

Solid Soup

Solid like soup sandwich
Mar 10, 2006
B.C. Canada
I never had a problem with depression but I had a buddy that did. He started gaining a lot of weight, became very withdrawn etc etc. Anyhow (keep in mind I was 20), me and a few friends decided to help snap him out of his depression by making him realize that he should appreciate life more ....so......we home invaded his place with balaclavas and various sticks and knives and then proceeded to duct tape him (eyes, mouth, body) and drag him to a running car after working him over for a few minutes. At this point he is terrified that we are going to kill him as he did not know our identities and believed he was being home robbed. We ended up letting him in on the little joke when he got scared and started to dry heave and blubbering about he was afraid to die....

I know the story sounds awful, but it kicked him right outta his depression and he said it really let him know that people cared about his well being to go through and develop an elaborate plan to home invade his house and scare the crap outta him. He said he knew that this experience let him know that life was worth appreciating and living to the fullest. Anyhoo that was 8 years ago and he's still in good shape. Now that I think about it, thank gawd no one called the cops on us...

Don't know how this would help you, but it helped him. This story is not a lie, it is an example of how retarded 20 year olds can be and their retardedsolutions, but it's not BS.

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
My best suggestion is to avoid all drugs and alcohol all together. From the sounds of it, you feel the same.

I've dealt with some depression before, which was fairly minor, when I was in flight school out here in HI. I can't really put my finger on what I did to get over it and my situation was totally different than what you're in. I didn't have to worry about paying for school or getting my next job. Believe it or not, the next job that I went to was more difficult in many ways (being a fucking new guy in a squadron in the military isn't fun), but I pulled myself out of it before long.

I wish I could help you out more, man.

You should probably start listening to heavier music. ;)

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
when ever i feel depression sinking in, i go for a long, long drive somewhere in the supra, choose a nice day, cruise somewhere with lots of people, get a few looks, then go tear up a highway. Always works for me, fool proof you could say

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Hi,

1/. No drugs and Alcohol
2/. As suggested before, get a degree in something you love. You said you loved working on computers or CAD. Do a small CAD course...It doesnt cost much. That would be a start.

3/. Lack of money does make people depressed. So you have to make sure you do have enough money. If you really need money, go find a job...any job Just earn some money and save it. With some money saved, your options will open up more. Then using that money, you could fund your education. dont spend your money on the car yet...Save...Save...Save...Seeing alot of money in your bank account will make you happier.

Finally make a plan...write it all down and make a schedule to make things happen. Make long term goals and short terms goals to get you to your long term goals. And take it step by step...little goals that you can accomplish easy at first so it gets you happy and on a roll.Keep really busy studying and working towards your goals so your mind wont have time to get depressed!. if it is too busy thinking about making money, studying, working and all the good things, it wont have time for depression.

Depression is just a state of mind...always remember you control your mind and body. So take charge and shape your life how you want it to be.

Cheers,
Roy

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
Ive had manic depression since primary school ( i didnt know i was depressed till i realized until a few yrs ago) Sometimes im hyper, jumping around, bouncing off the walls, doing crazy shit, not worried about the legalities of what im doing, other times ive got a lack of interest in everything, just wanted to be left alone, get frustrated, angry, abusive, pissed off at the tinyest insignificant thing.

I went to my local GP and told him I was having conversations with myself, hearing voices and just got no motivation and lack of energy. He refered me to a psychiatrist.
He put me on anti depressents and anti anxiety/agression tablets. I took them for a few weeks, then turned into a zombie, no reactions, no reflexes, just in a kind of daze. Lost all sense of fear (i was driving down the freeways at over 100kph closing my eyes counting to 10 and seeing where I end up) The shrink told me its to bring my chemicals in my brain into a flatline so after that I stopped taking the pills and seeing the shrink, as he wanted to convert me to christianity.(why do christians try to convert people to their religion I don't know why, I went to a catholic highschool and got religion rammed down my throat 5 days a week, sorry its not for me)

After that I started getting a heavier wallet since im not paying $90 for 30mins of his just sitting there prodding me with questions trying to make me talk to him.

Changed jobs, took up boxing (more out of curiosity as to what happens after you get hit/hit someone) got fit, slowly got out of my depression, moodswings started leveling out, made a few friends, still dont trust many people, got my confidence up and fitness (ran 8kms in under 27mins without breaking a sweat when i locked my keys in my car at the gym)

When my new job started pissing me off I took it upon myself to find another job/career. Now im inthe oil/gas industry. Having a great time, earning more $ than I ever dreamed of, visiting places I'd never get to visit.

Those who say you have to snap out of it as its like a light switch have never experienced the lows of depression. You don't just wake up one morning and everythings fine, Sometimes I used to lie in bed listening to the alarmclock beeping asking myself why am I getting out of bed to go to a shithole workplace? Surely theres something better? Had many thoughts of ending it all but just didnt have the guts to go through it. (if I had a gun then I wouldnt be writting this, this is another reason why I cant get a gun lic as im not mentaly stable) Then I end up getting more depressed that I can't even do that.
I was sleeping for most of the day, ate very little, didnt return any fonecalls, and soon the fone stopped ringing, didnt socialize with anyone and became a hermit basically.

I worked out there is no magic pill, no quick answer to get "un-depressed" you have to change your surroundings to make you happy, a lot of it is in your mind, I always was talked down to, made to feel shit, my opinions wernt important so I changed that all in my mind.
My mother was depressed and abused myself and my sister when we were young, That contributed to my depression as a child in primary school I believe.

Don't think about things that are out of your control, try not to worry about things that you can't control either, Just try to live each day and look for those windows of happyness and try to make them last longer each time they present themselves. Keep your mind occupied with doing something you enjoy doing, this stops you thinking about depressing things that inturn make u more depressed.
Most importantly your not alone, millions of people go through depression and come out ok, Took me most of my life to work it out and come out but here I am.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
i'm so depressed all the time that i just got used to it. my life is shitty, i know i'm the only one who can change it, but i'm too depressed to do anything about it.

i've become complacent with a shitty situation.

complacency is cancer.

i have cancer and i know it.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
I was going through a tuff time in my life for a while.

I smoked some pot, did some more drugs and im as happy as anyone now!

Its probably all the rock crap music your listening to.

Listen to some good trance. Itll only help ya.

York - the awakening
GMS - Juice

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Sandy Man, like you said, it's up to you to pull yourself out of your situation. Ask those that you hold close in your heart for some help, man. Trust me, if you get a few people behind you to push you and motivate you, how can you lose? All you need to do is take what they may do for you to heart and have the drive to be truly happy again.

s383mmber1 said:
Drugs are bad when they get outta control. mmkay/
:nono:

SnowMongoose

May 20, 2005
Bellingham, WA
This sounds like I'm just being funny, but...

get laid.

I tried prozac/etc and it helped a bit, but ultimately, you just have to change whatever parts of your life are sucking.
Me? I started playing rugby, working out, switched to real college from my local CC, and started 'hollering at bitches.'
Life is now good.

DISCLAIMER: Totally did not read anything before page 6.
DISCLAIMER PART THE SECOND: 'hollering at bitches' in the most respectful and thoughtful sense of the phrase.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I wanna thank all of you for the responses. Im not better yet, but Im on a path. I think I pinpointed the major areas, money, my car, my father not being around (asshole left us, not dead, might as well be), and last, my gf (were fighting so much and as of last night its hanging on a thread.

Today at work, after last nights fight, I was extremely unstable, I cried 6 or 7 times and tried so hard not to. I had to go to the bathroom 3 times bc it was so out of control. Im loosing my grip on life and I dont see why. Im not taking any control bc Im scared of the consequence. I always thought ahead of the punishment, what itll do to me. The shit with my GF, theres some things that shes done that any man would straight up get rid of her (hasnt cheated, not that bad) But shitthat isnt right. I thought I had my life planned out from here out with her, its falling through the cracks. I think Ive written 5 or 6 songs in 3 days about it.

Without her Id pursue my music career, I dont want to but itll be my only way to get over it, cuz Im good at it and its my therapy.

Im not sure what to do right now, I told her Im leaving her alone to think for a while, and Im doing the same. I dont believe in breaks, your together or you arnt, pure and simple. Shes 19 and shes trying to win the fight and keep all the glory, Im about to make it very simple for her. Although Im kinda pushing her away, seeing if she realizes me not around is a big change.

Id go work on my car but I gotta wait one more week, need more money to get my parts. That thing would get all my money if I was single, Id be dropping a fully built 1JZ in there with big fucking turbos, so when I need to go for a drive, I go for a DRIVE. I used to go out there at night after a fight, drive the supra for 30mins to an Hour, speed my ass off in local dead spots, I felt better.

Anyways, my job, Im still looking, not quite sure what Im gonna do yet. I think Id actually be ok with my job, if I was paid $4/hr and still got overtime.

My mom loves my GF, but she sees the damage, shes trying to get me to befriend a girl she works with, whos 20, (1 year yonger than me) and just lost her bf, says wed be good friends... I dont know what the fuck shes thinking. I might do it to make my GF jelous, she was pissed when I went to see my moms store grand reopening sale and I met this chick, she was new, and my gf goes, "well was she ugly? haha..." ME: No...

yeah she wasnt happy. Anyways, Im trying to figure it out, its really hard to let go of someone you devoted everything too and was perfect for 85% of the time. 2 years down the drains?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Id go work on my car but I gotta wait one more week, need more money to get my parts. That thing would get all my money if I was single, Id be dropping a fully built 1JZ in there with big fucking turbos, so when I need to go for a drive, I go for a DRIVE. I used to go out there at night after a fight, drive the supra for 30mins to an Hour, speed my ass off in local dead spots, I felt better.

dude...if you're not married...you are single.

not to be an ass but if she's giving you hell...move the fuck on. {ladies you might want to look away now} at 21 you dont even need to be tied down to one anyway, esp if its causing you so much drama. to be frank, pussy is everywhere. yeahyou think you are in love and you might be, but guess what? you will be in love again 10-15 times before you find the right one.

a good woman will not bring drama into your life unless you do something stupid.and you wont bring any to her life either...just my .02 and free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Last night I had somewhat of an epiphany, left her a LONG email, and told her to check it. She hadnt seen her phone til this morning and called me, she hadnt read it yet, so Ill know the results later. It was long and said everyting I wanted to get out, shes either gonna love me and understand or bitch me out and thatll be it. Pray for me guys, I really do love her, I want this to work out.

EDIT: On my way out to finish this surprise, try and show her Im still me, here, waiting...wish me luck!

Last edited: