How do you beat depression?

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
phoenix6 said:
Id get a mechanics apprenticeship. I could, but $6/hr here, not thanks.

$6/hr? Yikes....that's tough
Min. wage here is $8/hr...Most apprenticeships start at $15/hr, that's why I suggested it
Well...trucking is still an option I suppose then. haha

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
See, the thing with computers is that building them really doesn't take a whole lot of skill. If you realize what shapes can fit where, then you're pretty much set. With that said, you will probably never make too much money putting components together because so many people know how to do it. If you truly understand how to make an EFFICIENT system (ie. one where all of the components aren't just picked at random, but will actually run at their full capacity by matching them with the right components) then you could probably make a couple bucks on the side helping people pick out parts.

But if you can teach yourself something like C++ or assembly or some other type of programming language, and really learn how to program efficiently and in a manner that no one else can figure out (job security for you if someone uses your code) then you might be able to be something like a free agent programmer (if that makes sense).

You'd be amazed at some of the stuff you could do if you learned C++ (write your own OS and sell it for cheap or write some program that does something incredibly useful) or if you went the assembly or VHDL route, if you used a microcontroller and some basic circuit components you could come up with some very nifty stuff and sell it

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
Yellow 13 said:
Is that $8 CDN.

Im in CA and minimum is only $6.75 USD. Its supposedly supposed to go up to $7.50.

$8 CDN yes....Which is what, like $7.20 US or something
But everything here is based on the CDN currency, not the USD...Everything here costs more. And I do mean everything

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Alcohol is a depressant, so there's no way it can help you fight depression.

Alcohol's status as a "depressant" has nothing to do with the state of being depressed. It is more scientific with regards to what it does to your body physically, not emotionally.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I know alot more about computers than just puttin em together, I can make a pretty mean machine. Ive taken tons of friends shopping for them, we always end up building them one. I built mine as well.

I tried learning C++, I have all the software, my step dad does it for a living, so I could get some great help. It just never grabbed me. Plus I know learning C++ takes YEARs to get to that level of expertise.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
From the sounds of it, I think you should consider going to get a degree in something you enjoy doing, so that you can pursue it into a nice career. Being self-taught will only get you so far. I'm still deciding what I want to get into as well, but I realize schooling is the best way to get there.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Thats my other dead end. Scholarships wont work, parents make too much and I live at home. Loans are shot bc, my credit is. I tried going to 3 different schools, all ended in some bad news, no way to pay. I went to ITT Tech and scored one of the highest on their little entry/iq exam, they tried everything to help me get in, they wanted me in, but it just didnt work.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
parents aren't always an option.... i hear you man, i used ot get depressed over music hwen i was writing and touring with my ex band. bad thigns happen after another and it just gets worse. i got a call from one of my girl friends one day, she cheered me up and i will never stop loving her for that day. try to think of the ups in the world when its got you down.

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
buy an expensive car. i was never depressed before, but it was still a lot of fun at the dealer ship. telling them i was going to finance the car and when we fill out paper work i ended up financing $100 as a joke and paid the rest upfront in cash.

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
i would also wisely choose your music, dont sit there and listen to people screaming about how they want to die and shit, or even more depressing music like mearl haggard. no it is not near as sinical as bloody screaming but none the less is just down right sad

Yakuzastinger

will she ever run right?
Dec 18, 2005
Greensboro, NC
i went through a good bit of depression when my car was down but i got it back and was happy for a while now i just try to work my ass off and play my ass off a heatlyh balance and building things there is always pride in something u built be it a program an engine or a swing set

as for a job i understand so much wanting enough money to pay ur bills but not wanting to be stuck at one job doing one thing for yrs with no room for growth i just left a job like that that promised me room for growth but inturn did not let me and i am finding without a degree u cant get a good job period doing anything even if ur apt at it it sux how much value is put on the paper and not what u can actually do.

i would say get ur car going again if u can that might help u feel better work things out with ur girl a good girl is one of the most valuable things in life imo

dont loose urself in worry and bad toughts that will drive u mad just try and let things slide and focus on a goal best advice i know

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
mc_h said:
Well....one of the things I'm looking into myself is trucking - Done it before, but downtown runs aren't my thing in this city...And it doesn't require a huge downtime for schooling and the such. It's getting to be a more desirable career nowadays...Otherwise, you could try apprenticeships.

Generally speaking, here it's VERY easy to get a job for $20/hr as a trucker...Which isn't all that much money - But let's face it...Down south, the cost of living isn't like it is up here. - I'd take $20/hr there over $35/hr here any day of the week

All depends...It's something you could do in the interim anyways

...i have reason to beleive driving is a great way to make a living...

2 weeks of school, month or two of driving with a trainer, 36-40k first year, 50-60k after about your 3rd year

yeah, it keeps you away from the house for a while, but you really need about a year on the road to be considered for a good local gig

i'm actually a driver trainer for student drivers, and it's been great to see guys in your position start new careers, as well as "older guys" who thought they were retired and just got bored, looking for a 2nd career

most major companys will pay for your school if you give them a year commitment, try, swift, jb hunt schneider, warner, they all have facilities in/close to houston

yeah, they suck after the first year, but by then you have the time in to go get that kick ass local job

i only went local in last couple of weeks(start mon in fact) for an oil co...why work in thier mailroom for 24k when you can drive their equipment for 70k?
(it's great saying my dd is a 600hp volvo with 1800ft/lb tq)

ity's alifestyle, not a job....not everyone can do it, not everyone makes it, but those who do will tell you it's definately worth it

btw, all those co's i mentioned also have reigonal/local work, but those are highly desirable jobs, might have to wait a little while for one,,,

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I try to think positive--but sometimes it is kind of hard in some situations.
Being depressed is sort of dwelling on bad things.

Make a list of things that you like or like to do--don't forget the things that make you happy (often people do).
As I have said before, happiness can be looking forwards to things.
What things do you look forwards to and what are you doing toward getting them?
Try to eliminate the things that piss you off/cause your unhappiness.
Lots of folks find that some kind of exercise on a regular basis makes them a bit happier.
Try to surround yourself with good folks and friends, although sometimes that may be harder than other times. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have good folks around.
Lots of times, people can be surrounded by negative folks that bring them down--try to limit those folks from being around you!

I am no shrink (nor a pro at this), but that is the best of what I can tell you.

Eh, if it helps, I already made a post once on a similar thread.
Here is my post on that, if you care or to see what others have posted or others that may be in your ship. .... :p Hope that helps a little.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=236273#post236273