High Compression in 1 cylinder others fine also smoke issue

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Trent;1942231 said:
I was in no way suggesting that my response would solve his problems. I was suggesting a way for him to rule out the turbo as the issue. Front to back play on a turbo 99% of the time will mean a rebuild is necessary. I was not speaking to the -10inhg of vaccuum he is experiencing.

No need to be rude and condescending about it.

thank you I was trying to do the same and tell him to check some things to rule them out but instead got a rude comment also

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
dominicanpanda;1942237 said:
Also don't 7mgte already have catch can?
if you'd like to consider the intake a catch can then yes XD
but no it does not come with one
the reason you stall comin off boost is becuase it's looking for the air that's supposed to come back through the intake becuase it was already metered so when vented to the atmosphere it doesn't get that air back and makes it go rich and stall hence the black smoke from your unburnt fuel

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
dominicanpanda;1942232 said:
Word well Imma deff change oil and valve cover gaskets today and inspect i/c piping and turbo and maybe recirc the bov cause reason being I ordered kit because car stalled after hitting boost when iscv was messed now that I fixxed iscv it doesn't stall though but the oil was thin and smelt akward....hopefully after all this the smoking will cease....and what can I do for that one high compression cylinder and what will checking for valve cover pressure with palm tell me?

Mods:
Frontmount intercooler with all hard pipes
3"downpipe
Hks Ssqv
Boost gauge doesnr work
A/f gauge but no wideband to use it with

narrowbands are practically pointless..if I were you if I'd invest in a wideband for under 200$ it's a deal

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
BryanDyer;1942248 said:
if you'd like to consider the intake a catch can then yes XD
but no it does not come with one
the reason you stall comin off boost is becuase it's looking for the air that's supposed to come back through the intake becuase it was already metered so when vented to the atmosphere it doesn't get that air back and makes it go rich and stall hence the black smoke from your unburnt fuel

Lol I have no black smoke just gray after letting off boost and I guess ill buy a catch can I thought this black can towards the firewall on passenger side (facing motor) with two vac lines was it

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
grey like I said before it's the gas and oil you're burning mixed together
mine does it too becuase my exhaust seal on my turbo has decided to go
no that's not the cath can..that's the charcoal canister
a catch can isn't necessary I just put one on mine to get rid of the blow by going into my intake

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
BryanDyer;1942258 said:
grey like I said before it's the gas and oil you're burning mixed together
mine does it too becuase my exhaust seal on my turbo has decided to go
no that's not the cath can..that's the charcoal canister
a catch can isn't necessary I just put one on mine to get rid of the blow by going into my intake

Ok so if I decide to run catch can I tee together the valve cover hoses into one hose and run that to the can and the other line for the can I place in front of turbo? And I cap off the original vaccum port on the throttle body? I wanna do this car right so all help is really appreciated so far....I can see how blowby can be affecting my vehicle so ill do anything to fix it

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would do nothing until you stabilize your engine ... lol. Don't add things until you fix what's there. Catch can is fine and there is a vendor on these forums that makes a really sweet looking one... but first, figure out what's causing your issues.

I have never seen a cylinder with that compression.. wondering if it has a massive carbon buildup. Interesting to hear what causes that.

now.. stay on topic! :D

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
Grandavi;1942298 said:
I would do nothing until you stabilize your engine ... lol. Don't add things until you fix what's there. Catch can is fine and there is a vendor on these forums that makes a really sweet looking one... but first, figure out what's causing your issues.

I have never seen a cylinder with that compression.. wondering if it has a massive carbon buildup. Interesting to hear what causes that.

well he said the plugs had oil on them so I'm wondering if it has a lot of oil/carbon build up also in it and it just happens to be most in that cylinder

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
Grandavi;1942298 said:

Lol deff man your right I was just wondering that after I check turbo change oil and recirculate bov if it still smokes and I have blow by of the catch can will help ill try and stay on topic I may deadpan car to see if I had build up in ne cylinder with high comp

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
By doing simple math he would need almost a third of his cylinder to be filled with carbo. That's extreme to put it mildly. I have seen 10-20 psi over/under but never 50 over.

Very interested in seeing the "why".

The catchcan is to maintain the engine, it may possibly mask an issue, but that's not what you want.

The only reason I don't ask if you checked the coolant is because 5 cylinders read properly. If it was my engine (even though its extreme), with that one reading I would be pulling the head. Not sure if that's wise, but its what I would do. You already changed the oil I would assume.

When you pull the dipstick, smell it... Gas?

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
Grandavi;1942326 said:
By doing simple math he would need almost a third of his cylinder to be filled with carbo. That's extreme to put it mildly. I have seen 10-20 psi over/under but never 50 over.

Very interested in seeing the "why".

The catchcan is to maintain the engine, it may possibly mask an issue, but that's not what you want.

The only reason I don't ask if you checked the coolant is because 5 cylinders read properly. If it was my engine (even though its extreme), with that one reading I would be pulling the head. Not sure if that's wise, but its what I would do. You already changed the oil I would assume.

When you pull the dipstick, smell it... Gas?

I did not change the oil yet I'm waiting on all my parts to get in today so I do everything in one day ,I shall deff keep you guys updated and you got me worried on the one cylinder now like what the hell could cause it to be that high besides buildup if its packed with oil will that cause itto read high k?or can the blow by be a factor and I'm trying to find a horoscope to borrow today also

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
dominicanpanda;1942332 said:
I did not change the oil yet I'm waiting on all my parts to get in today so I do everything in one day ,I shall deff keep you guys updated and you got me worried on the one cylinder now like what the hell could cause it to be that high besides buildup if its packed with oil will that cause itto read high k?or can the blow by be a factor and I'm trying to find a horoscope to borrow today also

Blow by is normally caused by worn rings. Worn rings will also show on a compression test as low compression because the rings can't hold the pressure, aka blow by. I'd be curious to see the condition of the top of the piston.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
why don't you go back and do a compression 1 more time to be sure
last time I had to do a test one I my cylinders was high hi not that high..I went back retested and then they were all good becuase I wasn't paying attention to the amount of turn overs. I would do like 6 turn overs on each cylinder and test each cylinder 2-3 times
never hurts to double check...

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
BryanDyer;1942348 said:
maybe all he does is brakes or something which would explain it

Lol I'm a c tech at a Honda dealer all I do is recalls,flushes timing belts, water pumps ,done like 2 trannies , I learned everything my self and I knowledgable in some in-depth shit but as you see blow by,oil catch cans ,and diagonising turbo shit is not my forte...besides here they like to throw me into the wolves I gotta read books and bullentins to figure most shit I work on, regardless I do appreciate the info guys no matter if I know my shit or not like I said I'm young and still learning I will do all the fixes when I can and give ya an update!!!