High Compression in 1 cylinder others fine also smoke issue

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
Heyyy wassup guys im new to the 7mgte real i recently purchased a 1987 turbo targa 5spd with fmic 3inch exhaust and hks bov (waiting on recirc kit)

The car has been sitting for like 6 months due to the owner not knowing how to diagnose a iscv issue and vaccum leak
i get the car and fix the idling problems but now the car smokes hard as hell whitish gray after a hard boost run as soon as you let off throttle
im hoping its the turbo seals regardless,Me being paranoid i compression test it starting from the front they read \
1.150psi
2.155psi
3.205psi
4.155psi
5.150psi
6.150psi

What the hell could be causing that one cylinder to be high
also the car smokes slightly bluish tint smoke when it warms and idles goes under 1000

also when pulling the spark plugs they were soaked in oil both boot side and a lil bit on spark side im guessing its the valve cover gaskets from my research but i dont i am a n00b

when the car is driving fine no smoke hard boost barrels of whitish gray smoke (after letting off)
and when idle dips under 1000 slight blue smoke but goes away after revving slightly

i been doing research and would totally appreciate some insight from some knowledgable peeps

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
how many tests did you do on each cylinder? did you do the same amount of turnovers for each one? how about a wet compression?

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
BryanDyer;1941846 said:
how many tests did you do on each cylinder? did you do the same amount of turnovers for each one? how about a wet compression?

Yes sir I did all cylinders same amount of turnovers and I would like to say the compression test was dry even though I found oil like crazy on the plugs

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
if there is oil in the ic pipes that would explain it
the smoke is greyish becuase the bov isn't recirculated so it runs rich due to lack of air coming in and mixes with the oil making it grey
the smoke on idle would be the turbo also
if there is oil in the ic pipes that would explain your plugs being covered in it which is probably why the one cylinder had high compression becuase it had more oil than he other
that's just muy guess I could be wrong
check for shaft play in the turbo 1-2 mm side to side is fine but make sure it doesn't pull in and out

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
BryanDyer;1942086 said:
if there is oil in the ic pipes that would explain it
the smoke is greyish becuase the bov isn't recirculated so it runs rich due to lack of air coming in and mixes with the oil making it grey
the smoke on idle would be the turbo also
if there is oil in the ic pipes that would explain your plugs being covered in it which is probably why the one cylinder had high compression becuase it had more oil than he other
that's just muy guess I could be wrong
check for shaft play in the turbo 1-2 mm side to side is fine but make sure it doesn't pull in and out

Dude thanks a lot ill deff check all that stuff out tomorrow where on the ic piping should I looke for oil like a piece near the actual intercooler or closer to throttle?

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
it should be in one of the bottom pipes
if a turbo seal is shot on the compressor side there is usually a lot of oil in the bottom of the pipes

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
Just because you run a non recirculated BOV, doesn't mean the car is going to smoke. An otherwise good running car will not smoke if you run a non-recirculated open to atmosphere BOV. I've been running them in Supras since 1999 and have not had a single issue to speak of with that. Don't immediately jump to that conclusion.

If it smokes badly on deceleration and when at idle but not while on the gas, that is tell tale, classic blown turbo seals. Check your turbo for play and movement front to back and if there is any, time for seals and a rebuild.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
you just restated what I told him
I didn't say the bov would cause it to smoke. he didnt specify a tuning device he said the smoke is grey meaning it's unburnt gas and smoke(oil) mixed together I was just taking a guess the unburnt fuel was from the bov not being recirculated
I also didnt just to conclusions
I said that's just my guess and I could be wrong but I've had the same problem as he has

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
BryanDyer;1942113 said:
you just restated what I told him
I didn't say the bov would cause it to smoke. he didnt specify a tuning device he said the smoke is grey meaning it's unburnt gas and smoke(oil) mixed together I was just taking a guess the unburnt fuel was from the bov not being recirculated
I also didnt just to conclusions
I said that's just my guess and I could be wrong but I've had the same problem as he has

Grey smoke being unburnt fuel and oil, interesting..

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Trent;1942110 said:
If it smokes badly on deceleration and when at idle but not while on the gas, that is tell tale, classic blown turbo seals. Check your turbo for play and movement front to back and if there is any, time for seals and a rebuild.

I guess the high vacuum under engine deceleration couldn't pull oil up the cylinder walls passed the rings at all right?

Also, the movement on the shaft itself won't determine bad seals as the seals don't actually touch the shaft itself.

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
well if I remember right black and white make grey
unburnt fuel is black
oil is white(blue tint) so...
someone correct me if I'm wrong

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
IndigoMKII;1942119 said:
Uh god, why even bother. There's so much bad information in this thread already.

Well please man help enlighten me I'm a newbie to the 7mgte world I never owned a boosted vehicle I am mechanic at a dealer for a few years and some what knowledgeable of motors (I'm only 20 ) but I don't have any experience on turbo vehicles

Im going to pull off the ic pipes and check turbo play tomorrow and hopefully recirculate when the kit gets here I see you said that high vaccum ain't pulling enough oil to the head? How is that if you don't mind giving me a explanation please ? Like what will cause that ?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
High vacuum situations can pull oil up the cylinder walls and into the combustion chamber. This is especially easily done if the oil is diluted, by running the engine too rich and gas gets into the oil.

Oil in the intercooler piping doesn't always mean the turbo seals are going bad, you could have a lot of blow-by. The reason I say blow-by is because your valve cover vents to the intake pipe pre turbo.

Blue smoke is oil burnt, black smoke is unburnt fuel and white smoke is normally the sign of starting BHG.

Since you're a mechanic at a dealer, you'll likely have access to a boroscope. Look inside the cylinder with higher compression, check for anything odd. Normally higher compression than possible means there's something in there causing less room for the 'squish'.

Smell the oil, does it smell like oil? Or does it smell more of gas?

The oil on the boot is more than likely leaky valve cover gaskets. The standard phillips head screw always strips so you can't really torque them.

Also, where in Richmond do you live? If you're willing to travel a little, I'm willing to lend a hand. Trying to help over the net is nearly impossible to be accurate. More like a guessing game til someone gets lucky.

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
IndigoMKII;1942134 said:
High vacuum situations can pull oil up the cylinder walls and into the combustion chamber. This is especially easily done if the oil is diluted, by running the engine too rich and gas gets into the oil.

Oil in the intercooler piping doesn't always mean the turbo seals are going bad, you could have a lot of blow-by. The reason I say blow-by is because your valve cover vents to the intake pipe pre turbo.

Blue smoke is oil burnt, black smoke is unburnt fuel and white smoke is normally the sign of starting BHG.

Since you're a mechanic at a dealer, you'll likely have access to a boroscope. Look inside the cylinder with higher compression, check for anything odd. Normally higher compression than possible means there's something in there causing less room for the 'squish'.

Smell the oil, does it smell like oil? Or does it smell more of gas?

The oil on the boot is more than likely leaky valve cover gaskets. The standard phillips head screw always strips so you can't really torque them.

Also, where in Richmond do you live? If you're willing to travel a little, I'm willing to lend a hand. Trying to help over the net is nearly impossible to be accurate. More like a guessing game til someone gets lucky.

Dude thanks a lot bud for the info and I live Southside of Richmond and ill deff would like to link up sometime with other supra owners I think its good to learn from people that been doing it for a while,ill deff pm you once I get this supra running right and can move it and feel safe ....

As for my car the oil did feel kind of thin when I compression tested it and pulled the spark plugs,
The smoke smells like an old weed eater or like diesel sometimes as for the.....the oil does have a non oil smell to it now that you mention it and how would I fix alot of blowby ? Do I just recirculate the bov to stop running rich and get a safc and vent the valve cover to dumb down the blowby?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
dominicanpanda;1942182 said:
Dude thanks a lot bud for the info and I live Southside of Richmond and ill deff would like to link up sometime with other supra owners I think its good to learn from people that been doing it for a while,ill deff pm you once I get this supra running right and can move it and feel safe ....

As for my car the oil did feel kind of thin when I compression tested it and pulled the spark plugs,
The smoke smells like an old weed eater or like diesel sometimes as for the.....the oil does have a non oil smell to it now that you mention it and how would I fix alot of blowby ? Do I just recirculate the bov to stop running rich and get a safc and vent the valve cover to dumb down the blowby?

You don't have to recirc the BOV, mine isn't but every car is different. What are your mods so far on the car? I don't think you'll need an SAFC yet either. For the blow-by into the intake piping, for can always get a catch can. http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-oilcatchcan.php

Your car has good compression so I wouldn't see your blow-by as much at all to be honest. With the car idling, take off the oil filler cap and put your hand over it. Does it feel as if there's pressure inside the valve cover?

What I would of done if I had bought my car from someone if it was running, I would change all the fluids possible. Oil, gas, transmission fluid, radiator fluid, power steering fluid and even differential fluid. While I was doing that I'd change the oil filter, fuel filter and double check over every little thing possible. Make sure that all your hoses under the hood are still flexable, make sure all the vacuum lines go to the right place and that the sensors are properly working and connected.

If I get some free time in my schedule, I could try to come down to the south side of Richmond and give you a hand getting it running properly.

Here are some links that might help you make sure everything is in order.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/catalog.aspx?F=1708&P=5
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/catalog.aspx?F=2211&P=2
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/catalog.aspx?F=1201&P=2

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
IndigoMKII;1942117 said:
I guess the high vacuum under engine deceleration couldn't pull oil up the cylinder walls passed the rings at all right?

Also, the movement on the shaft itself won't determine bad seals as the seals don't actually touch the shaft itself.

I was in no way suggesting that my response would solve his problems. I was suggesting a way for him to rule out the turbo as the issue. Front to back play on a turbo 99% of the time will mean a rebuild is necessary. I was not speaking to the -10inhg of vaccuum he is experiencing.

No need to be rude and condescending about it.

dominicanpanda

May 27, 2013
richond va
Word well Imma deff change oil and valve cover gaskets today and inspect i/c piping and turbo and maybe recirc the bov cause reason being I ordered kit because car stalled after hitting boost when iscv was messed now that I fixxed iscv it doesn't stall though but the oil was thin and smelt akward....hopefully after all this the smoking will cease....and what can I do for that one high compression cylinder and what will checking for valve cover pressure with palm tell me?

Mods:
Frontmount intercooler with all hard pipes
3"downpipe
Hks Ssqv
Boost gauge doesnr work
A/f gauge but no wideband to use it with