Gran Turismo 5, anyone?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I played GT3 and GT4, they were fun, but not all that. I have GT5 Prologue, and find it hard to believe that GT5 is all that either. The car list is my biggest bug bear. Sure the physics and gameplay might be fantastic, but its lacking content. There's a huuuuuuge selection of different Skylines and S2000's - where are the Peugeot 106 Rallyes? What happened to the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth? Ford Capri? VW Golf Mk2 GTi?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Couple people added me, but I accidentally deleted the one request. Not sure who it was, but sorry!

Kai;1745480 said:
Have they updated the car list to include something other than 100 skylines? If not, i still won't waste my money on it.

If you want a game that includes a lot of European cars, this is not it; I doubt you'll find many games that do include what you're looking for though. Unfortunate as it is, I figured if you like driving games, you'd still like it. If you just want to have a game where you can collect European cars, I don't know what to suggest.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Moy;1745497 said:
The 1J is slow. I had a 1J MK3 and a Soarer, both modded out. They're both slow. 7M MK3 full mods is around 560hp. Slow. I haven't played in a while, but I'm using some 8.0L S/C'd American special something or another and it absolutely RAPES the competition hahaha
Sounds like the Buick Special, and yes... it rapes most competition. Look at the weight and tell me that is in any way realistic for an American car of that era though... I think it's something like 2200lbs if I'm not mistaken. One of my favorites though...

mk3_7m;1745684 said:
Gosh i havent played GT5 in a while..... It's hard getting into the cars in the previous version. We always have to look at the used car list to update till we come across the specific car instead of saving up a heap and not to worry about the limited time you have before the list updates :(.
I find that the British Lightweight Championship is a quick way to earn cash. About 3 minutes worth of effort once you get proficient at the London track, and you net something like 20-30k each time? Quite the money maker...

Kai;1745700 said:
...where are the Peugeot 106 Rallyes? What happened to the Ford Sierra RS Cosworth? Ford Capri? VW Golf Mk2 GTi?
In the dirt, where they belong.

Were any of those cars actually in any GT game though? Ford Capri, you're likely on your own as far as a following goes, I doubt you'll see that one in the game, but the others have a good possibility of being in there at some point. :)

As for a game with a bigger Euro collection, I would suggest the TOCA series. Keep a hat on though, or you'll end up bald from frustration eventually. ;)

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
I'm still playing, anyone else? Toyota 86 just released today! Now waiting for the eventual Subaru BRZ :evil2:

p1786649_1.jpg

p1786649_2.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I still play on occasion. Only things I have left are... 3 extreme series B-spec races, the entire Enduro class of b-spec races, and 4 or 5 more a-spec enduro races. Allow me to say that 4 of 5 hours in the same rather uncomfortable chair behind the wheel in that game makes you sore. :nono:

Not sure I even want to do the 24 hour races, would take a couple weeks at a couple hours a night, about my limit on a drive in my setup. Need to get a Supra seat to put on that frame...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I got a seat from a miata and it works perfect in my setup. Super light.

What I really need is a router for my game room. For the last few months I've had to choose what gets a connection. Either cpu or ps3. So far its always been cpu.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprarx7nut;1786861 said:
I got a seat from a miata and it works perfect in my setup. Super light.

What I really need is a router for my game room. For the last few months I've had to choose what gets a connection. Either cpu or ps3. So far its always been cpu.
I'm not terribly worried about the weight, I was just getting sore from the long races. I have one of those Playseat setups, and while the frame itself isn't bad, the seat... leaves room for desire. I would change a few things of the frame too, but lacking a welder or the knowledge of welding, not to mention the relative infrequent uses of the seat, I don't think that will happen.

I know what you mean about the pc/ps3 thing though, a friend recommended getting a simple 4-port switch. Apparently they're cheap, and work well for applications like ours.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I always liked the seasonal drift challenges, they've been getting relatively difficult though... Is there any way to upload replays to Youtube or something like that? I have a few videos I wouldn't mind sharing.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Just did the 24h Nurburgring Endurance Race yesterday/today. It's significantly more challenging than it was in GT4. A genuinely fun time was had.

Still, the winnings from the event were a bit weak, and the recent tire wear update (2.02) made it a bit less fun than it really should have been. Having to pit-in after 2 laps on Racing Hard tires is a bit lame.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
NashMan;1787376 said:
ya use phone point at tv and record hahahah

and frs is kinda well really to good??????? sales pitch any one
My phone is a "dumb" phone, so I wouldn't be doing that haha... as for the FR-S/86, that is EXACTLY what it is. Smart, isn't it? I tossed it around a bit, the thing has to be thrown around a bit to have much fun, but if this thing handles as well as it does in real life, they're going to sell them by the boatload I would think...

Jeff Lange;1788117 said:
Just did the 24h Nurburgring Endurance Race yesterday/today. It's significantly more challenging than it was in GT4. A genuinely fun time was had.

Still, the winnings from the event were a bit weak, and the recent tire wear update (2.02) made it a bit less fun than it really should have been. Having to pit-in after 2 laps on Racing Hard tires is a bit lame.

Jeff
Wow... hope you were in a more comfortable chair than me. I haven't looked into the tire wear change, but read a bit on it in the news section. How does it change how it was before?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
SuprA70;1788300 said:
Congrats!

How long on average were each session (I'm assuming you did the race in sections)? The longest I've gone straight was the 4hr Roadster race. I can't imagine lasting longer than that.

I don't know about you, but by the end of that Roadster race, I was trying to see how quick I could roast a set of rear tires... the NC drifts pretty well once you get it figured out. ;)

Oh, and just to throw it out there, if anyone is looking for a particular car, PM me or just post up in this thread, and I can possibly add it to my shared list. I do have a pretty healthy selection, most of them interesting and/or stupidly quick. :)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
te72;1788296 said:
Wow... hope you were in a more comfortable chair than me. I haven't looked into the tire wear change, but read a bit on it in the news section. How does it change how it was before?

It's an AE86 GT-S seat. It's not bad.

As for tire wear, we used to be able to do 4 laps on a set of soft, now we can do 1. We had to change hard tires every 2 laps. I didn't like the wear before (not enough difference between harness choices), but they went too far the other way now.

SuprA70;1788300 said:
Congrats!

How long on average were each session (I'm assuming you did the race in sections)? The longest I've gone straight was the 4hr Roadster race. I can't imagine lasting longer than that.

I don't think I've ever done more than 4h at a time. For the 24h race, we had 3 people doing the race, changing out at pit stops every 1 or 2h, depending on how we were feeling. I didn't do a double shift, but the others did.

Jeff

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jeff Lange;1793197 said:
I don't think I've ever done more than 4h at a time. For the 24h race, we had 3 people doing the race, changing out at pit stops every 1 or 2h, depending on how we were feeling. I didn't do a double shift, but the others did.

Jeff
Like a real crew, that's pretty badass... or geeky, not sure which. :p

Anyone manage to complete the b-spec race on Cirque de la Sarthe (Le Mans track) on the recent B-spec seasonal events? I couldn't get around to doing that one more than once. By all accounts and numbers, my guy should have destroyed the competition, but ended up getting lapped... a lot.

SuprA70

SF.com 'Grounded' Champ
te72;1793389 said:
Anyone manage to complete the b-spec race on Cirque de la Sarthe (Le Mans track) on the recent B-spec seasonal events? I couldn't get around to doing that one more than once. By all accounts and numbers, my guy should have destroyed the competition, but ended up getting lapped... a lot.

Are you on GTPlanet also? I haven't tried any of the tips in this thread yet, but it seems some have found success with them.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=237563

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I am not on there, but I only ran it the one time. B-spec bores me for the most part. I usually read while doing them, but it's decent money farming. :)