Coolant filter pics

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I too have always used Coolant filters since I first saw one and it's results on my father in laws 75 blazer I rebuilt in 79, the insides of his engine were like bare spotless metal. no corrosion at all. The semi's use them since a semis radiator can cost thousands to replace, so it's cheap insurance in the long run. I also buy Oxalic acid in bulk from a local chemical company, seems like a lifetime supply. I used it to flush my system before my last coolant change. I used baking soda to flush out the oxalic acid as a neutralizer. Now I need to get a coolant filter on. I use DI water and Sierra in case I spill here at my condo complex, so I don't have to worry about folks calling hazmat out on me. This week I'll be ordering a WIX 24069 thru NAPA that has no chemicals to fit a mounting block I already have and am am mounting on the Supra. I run a 10" SS filter that uses a 10 micron cotton cartridge with a SS core on my van that I bought from McMaster-Carr, but they are too big for the Supra so I'm going with a Wix spinon for the Supra. Tihs would be a great thread to go into the Filtration section since I see most have never heard of coolant filtration.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
JJ could you post some pics of the way you plumbed it like whats in and whats out. I was going plumb mine into the heater core hoses but I like your idea better since you have flow all the time.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
No pics but simple enough. Removed line from outlet of ISCV and ran new hose to filter on fender where igniter used to be (igniter was relocated to bolt on brake proportioning valve). Hose exits filter and runs back to original hose from ISCV using a 5/16" brass barbed coupler. 5/16" heater hose and constant tension clamps all around.

edit: See pic in the older thread Jdub mentioned a few posts back.

A filter will also work fine plumbed across (in parallel) the heater core hoses because there's enough of a pressure drop across the core to drive the filter with the valve open. Course, flow won't be a problem at all with it closed.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
for those not wanting to do the trouble of a filter one thing to do that too many dont

DONT use tap water. USE DISTILLED water. the reaction to the head especially at the water jackets from the aluminum head to iron block will corrode greatly from tap water. hard water is very bad. a lot of that white stuff or yellowish crap you see comes from your tap water. when i stopped using tap the distilled water cleaned off a lot of the mineral deposits on the head and it settled into the bottom of the radiator. when i pulled the rad for a engine pull i rinsed the crap out. some coolant and distilled water keeps a healthy coolant system.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Installed a coolant filter on my Cressida...used a marine fuel/water separator filter head (11/16x16 filter thread), 3/8" Aeroquip socketless hose, and 3/8" NPT barbed fittings. Tapped into the ISCV/TB coolant line in the last leg to the block hard line return and used 3/8" barb to barb splices to mate to the Aeroquip hose. The filter is a Wix 24069...it's a little over an inch shorter than the Donaldson JJ used...I had limited space (as you can see) where the filter head needed to go. Prior to the install, I flushed the coolant system with oxalic acid and switched to G-05 HOAT coolant.

Thanks JJ for the help...this was really easy to do with the info you provided ;)

Cressida Coolant Filter 01.jpg

Cressida Coolant Filter 02.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well i looking for monte that will work for wix coolent filter does any one kow fo any

i have bena thinking on running one for some time

but i runing mine were the trubo coolent lines are since i don't use them no more

dis graud found out si all ready mentioned

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I haven't had mine on long enough to do a fist change but when I do I'll post some cut open pics also. I run a Wix 24069 I get them from NAPA. I recently had my dash removed I went and picked up the heater core and soldered it together no more losing water. This is first time since I got the car in 2001 that I havent had to add water on a regular basis. The original motors BHG I think was eventually caused by this FING oring BS in the hearter core and me not getting the water back in it fast enough. The FING oring is so thin I believe this may lead to most of the BHGs over time cause it I believe it seals under pressure BUT when the engine is in the cool down cycle it can't hold a vacuum and sucks in air. On this jdm motor I've been adding water since day one about two years but as soon as I see the birdcage I get it filled when it get's parked for the night. Now I haven't lost a single drop of water in over two weeks. So I installed the water filter and in one day the water was crystal clear, tomorrow I'll drain everything add new coolant, which I haven't ever had. So get those heater cores soldered up and see if what you though was a BHG was that FING oring BS design. Also I used the no conditioner filter, then Wix with conditioner is 24082. I might as well post all the Wix info below

Part Number: 24069

UPC Number: 765809240698
Principal Application: Cooling System Filter with No Chemicals
All Applications
Style: Coolant Spin-On Filter
Service: Coolant
Height: 4.317
Outer Diameter Top: 3.694
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 11/16-16
Nominal Micron Rating: 27
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part Number: 24082
UPC Number: 765809240827
Principal Application: Extended drain for 24071 applications
All Applications
Height: 5.430
Outer Diameter Top: 3.690
Note: Cooling System Filter with Conditioner
Prinicipal Application
Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Other
Service ESI
Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.860 2.500 0.230

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Part Number: 24083
UPC Number: 765809240834
Principal Application: Extended Drain Coolant (Non Chemical Filter ) All Applications
Height: 4.173
Outer Diameter Top: 3.690
Note: Cooling System Filter with No Chemicals
Prinicipal Application-Cat, Cummins, Detroit, Other
Service-ESI
Gasket Diameters Number O.D. I.D. Thk. Attached 2.850 2.470 0.230
TO CHECK ALL APPLICATIONS PLEASE VISIT:
WWW.WIXFILTERS.COM

Attachments

• Img_2511.jpg
    Img_2511.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 139
  • Img_2512.jpg
    Img_2512.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 141

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
humm after much thought i think going to make this easy on me and just use an oil filter as coolent filter

i herd poeple doing this alot both filter are some what the same

does any one disagree

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nash - you want to use a coolant filter, but if you insist, an oil filter will work.

Here's the proper head unit with 11/16-16 filter threads and 3/8" NPT inlet/outlet:
http://www.marineexpressusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50-20901

This will fit the Wix 24069 and 24070 coolant filters available at NAPA...the 24069 is a bit shorter for tighter fits. I buy mine at www.rockauto.com.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
So I live in a town that is very marine dependent if I went into a parts store and asked about this they would be able help me out . I just dropped some serious coinage on a Fluidyne and I want to keep it clean. Also can you mount the filter underneath the intake mani I like to keep things orderly I have a touch of OCD

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well thansk dude you gave me what i needed to know all see how easy it is to get this filter at my local auto parts store

i just needed to know the thread and i chould not find it any were

jdub;1175794 said:
Nash - you want to use a coolant filter, but if you insist, an oil filter will work.

Here's the proper head unit with 11/16-16 filter threads and 3/8" NPT inlet/outlet:
http://www.marineexpressusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50-20901

This will fit the Wix 24069 and 24070 coolant filters available at NAPA...the 24069 is a bit shorter for tighter fits. I buy mine at www.rockauto.com.

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
Im so glad i found this thread before i put regular old toyota coolant in my rebuilt/cleaned motor and not run a filter. Im starting out with a completly clean block/head , new hoses, and a new radiator. So this mod makes perfect sense to keep everything clean.

And what about this o-ring problem in the heater core?

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Hate to bring this old thread up again, but I/m having trouble finding another filter mounting block with the 11-16" threads to fit the WIX 4069. I looked through WIX and most coolant filters use the 11-16" thread. If Anyone has a link to a good aluminum mounting block with this thread it would be greatly appreciated.
THanks

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
what are teh draw back of runing a oil filter instead of teh coolent filter i know there built alot diffetn but really never cut one apart befor

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I finally received a response from filtercrossreference.com on a Wix coolant filter mounting block that fits the Wix 24069 coolant filter.

Wix P/N 24763 $24.53 FILTER MOUNTING BASE

Think maybe we should move this thread to the Oil, Lubricants, and Filtration category?