Coolant filter pics

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It sure does...got a MotorGuard bypass filter (uses a roll of TP) on my Toyota truck. Filters down to 1 micron ;)
Way over kill for particulates, but that is what it does...the oil is analytically clean and the TP absorbs moisture. JJ has on on his supra as well in the charcoal canister location. All you have to do is move the CC under the wheel well.

LOL...Scott 1000 sheet single ply ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...it does get "looks" :D

Keep in mind this is a bypass filter. You use it in addition to the usual full flow filter.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Gotcha..So a dual filter head would need to be used. I just figured toilet paper would disintegrate in oil.Apparently i would be wrong.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Since JJ posted last, I've been sold on this idea 100% :) Thanks for jogging my memory, as well as sharing the pics. I can only imagine what 90% of the cars here look like if yours had the above debris in it!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jetjock;1011451 said:
Having said that any oil filter mount and oil filter will work fine. I just happen to like Donaldson quality. Change it once a year or whenever you change coolant.

Hmmmmm. Any Reason i shouldn't do this JJ?

Ian told me you had one and i assumed it was a Tefba.

a98e_1.JPG

Edit: Read Through it, Disregard.

Last edited:

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Justin said:
where the hell does that stuff come from??

It comes from the engine block, the water by pass pipes, the radiator, the heater core, the cylinder head, the water pump, basically any metal that comes in contact with coolant.

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
RedEj8;1011755 said:
Gotcha..So a dual filter head would need to be used. I just figured toilet paper would disintegrate in oil. Apparently i would be wrong.

The MotorGuard is a completely separate circuit...you could tap off the turbo feed line (or the unused port forward of the oil pressure sensor) and return to the cooler port on the pan. The MotorGuard uses an orifice...only a small amount is passed through the filter, hence the term "bypass filter". TP actually gets stronger in contact with oil...it holds together very well as a result.

You can use a dual filter head set-up with another bypass filter called a Trasko...complete different design. It does use what is essentially a roll of TP that's cut down to fit the housing...you have to buy the filter elements from Trasko though.

Frank nailed it...you'd be amazed what a coolant filter catches, as shown in JJ's pics ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The Tefba is a full flow filter and filters nowhere near as fine but it's better than nothing. Easy install and very easy to clean.

TP filters are depth filters in that oil is slowly forced through the entire roll in contrast to a full flow surface filter. That's why a depth filter must be used in bypass mode. It could never flow enough to feed the engine. On the other hand it's the depth filtration and slow flow that cleans the fluid being filtered so well.

Mine is sourced off a sandwich adapter and returned through an orifice to one of the hex plugs in the #3 cylinder cover. What's interesting about the set up is *all* the oil my engine receives, other than the tiny amount going through the filter that gets dumped to the head, has to go through a single 1/4 inch hole in the sandwich plate.

Dub: The real looks come when cruising the supermarket TP isle opening packages and measuring rolls. I also prefer Scotts 1000. It's wound tighter than Frank on a bad day (j/k Frank) but institutional stuff is great too.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
What exactly are those whitish flakes that the filter caught? I'm assuming some sort or deposit? :dunno:

Have you ever heard of the "Citrus Flush" that Mercedes uses? That is what the people over on the Mercedes forums seem to recommend...they also mention the use of food grade Citric acid to "flush" the system...just wondering how effective (if at all) that would be...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JJ - I'm still using the air filters that came with the MotorGuard...talk about wound up tight! I've got a few rolls of the Scotts ready to go when these are done ;)