Coolant filter pics

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
where do you hook that thing up to? ive actually been interested in installing one yet its a hard topic to search :):)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I get 'em from fleetfilters.com or filterbarn.com, same places I get most of my filters. They're Donaldson (a premier filter maker not involved in the auto market) but without the supplemental cooling additives. Do not run SCAs in a gas engine.

Napa and Wix also sell equivalents but they can be spendy. Keep in mind such filters have a special stud thread and will require a matching mount. You can get them at trucking places but much better and cheaper is to get a marine fuel/water separator mount from any boat store or ebay. About $20. It's the same thread.

Having said that any oil filter mount and oil filter will work fine. I just happen to like Donaldson quality. Change it once a year or whenever you change coolant.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
hum. Thats pretty neat. God only knows what my cooling system looks like.

So you're saying you can do the same thing with a regular filter mount and any ol' oil filter(like a wix)? Might give this setup a try sometime.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
jetjock;1011451 said:
I get 'em from fleetfilters.com or filterbarn.com, same places I get most of my filters. They're Donaldson (a premier filter maker but uninvolved in the auto market) but without the supplemental cooling additives. Do not run SCAs in a gas engine.

Napa and Wix also sell equivalents but they can be spendy. Keep in mind such filters have a special stud thread and will require a matching mount. You can get them at trucking places but much better and cheaper is to get a marine fuel/water separator mount from any boat store or ebay. About $20. It's the same thread.

Having said that any oil filter mount and oil filter will work fine. I just happen to like Donaldson quality. Change it once a year or whenever you change coolant.
are you running the toyota red coolant?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
so my spare oil relocation should work fine, cool. :) thanks for posting the information

i run toyota red quake:D is there a problem though with them running to a filter?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
how come this has never been mentioned before? hell... i've NEVER even heard of this... lol

but you can use a regular oil filter on the coolant? (makes sense to me)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
It has been mentioned before. Several times. Some people even use a toilet paper filter on their coolant. That would seem not to make sense but in reality it works fine. I prefer this filter for coolant but I do use TP on my oil.

Coolant filters are common in the trucking industry but they typically use SCAs. An oil filter will work fine. Use whatever you use on the engine. That way you'll only have to stock one part and will always have a filter.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
and the only real benefit to this is just keeping the coolant cleaner?

couldnt you like pull the lines up to make it the highest point while you fill through it to bleed all of the air out?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Not a kit but easy to do. SCA means Supplemental Coolant Additives. Time released chemicals stored in the filters used on diesels to make the coolant last a long time. When you have a fleet of trucks with cooling systems measuring in many gallons coolant costs add up.

Rennat: Do you want that stuff circulating around your system? Through your water pump seal, heater core, and radiator? I don't but I confess to being anal about filtration. This and other filters have been on my car 19 years, even before the warranty ran out.

As for Glysantin I've studied coolant and feel it's chemistry is superior to Toyota's, which I haven't used in a long time. Besides, BASF knows a thing or two about chemicals in general and antifreeze in particular. They invented the stuff. Glysantin has a history going back 75 years and has been the factory fill for every Mercedes since day one as well as now being factory installed in all Chryslers and Fords. It's approved for use in every Toyota of this vintage. Don't get me wrong though: Toyota's OAT chemistry without 2-EHA is pretty good. As I said, I'm just anal.

The filter collects crap no matter which coolant I've used. After all it's a tough environment in there. Fwiw the car is only on it's second radiator since new and none of the hoses show OCD. Hell, the lower radiator hose is original. You read that right: 21 years old. Still checks out fine but since I have a new one lying around I really ought to change it one of these days.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Rennat;1011527 said:
and the only real benefit to this is just keeping the coolant cleaner?

couldnt you like pull the lines up to make it the highest point while you fill through it to bleed all of the air out?

It's a significant benefit...as you can see from JJ's pics, that filter caught quite a bit of crap floating around the coolant system. That stuff can accumulate in the radiator, cutting efficiency to the point of blockage over time. Considering all the problems you see on a Mk III cooling system, I call that worthwhile ;)

Edit: Hehe...JJ beat me ;)

BTW - this is on my agenda to do as well. Been talking to JJ of and on for a while about G-05 coolant and doing research myself on it...came to the same conclusion, HOAT chemistry is superior to your std coolant and the Toyota Red. For the filter, I plan on using the line that feeds the TB and ISCV for the filter feed and return to the block hard line the same way....it hardly ever gets cold enough in AZ to affect removal and the TB on the FFIM I'm going to use has no provision for coolant anyway. One thing about changing to HOAT coolant is you want to make sure the old stuff is thoroughly flushed from the system with water. Std coolant and HOAT don't play well together ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1011565 said:
I don't but I confess to being anal

Gotcha. :biglaugh:

And there I was going to ask, "what, no toilet paper?".

A coolant flush is a part of the scheduled services. As often as 15,000 miles from what I remember. It has been 4 years since I had a Toyota shirt on at work. Nice work JJ.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I actually have some dissected radiator core pics around here somewhere from a car I repaired a few months back. I'll post 'em up if I can find them. Not a pretty sight.

Nick: I also have opinions on what's best for flushes. Don't get me started ;)

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
wow, never though about this, but it's a very good idea. i think i'll look into it, as the car is still apart and i need to finish the coolant lines anyways...

out of curiousity, would there be any downside to installing a shutoff valve on the inlet and outlet of the filter, or would you only change the filter when replacing all of the coolant?