Coolant filter pics

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
johnathan1;1011985 said:
What exactly are those whitish flakes that the filter caught? I'm assuming some sort or deposit? :dunno:

Have you ever heard of the "Citrus Flush" that Mercedes uses? That is what the people over on the Mercedes forums seem to recommend...they also mention the use of food grade Citric acid to "flush" the system...just wondering how effective (if at all) that would be...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Jdub: Some of it is from the oxalic acid flush I do every two years, the last of which was last year after making that post. It's hard to completely get all the crap out after using that stuff because it's so effective. It's another reason I use the filter. The next one will have less in it, same as the one from last year.

Edit: For those who asked a pic of my engine can be seen in the thread mentioned above.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Citric is pretty mild stuff. It's fine as long as you start out with a clean system and stay on top of it. Oxalic acid is at the other end of the spectrum. Powerful enough that it requires neutralization after use. You can always cut down the amount used though and that's what I do. Even it won't unplug a radiator too far gone because it can't flow in there to get at the stuff.

Here's an example. This is a center section cut from a radiator I replaced for someone a few months ago. The compliant was temperature rise, but only on the highway after long drives and only when the OAT rose above 65 F or so. He could reduce temp by using the heater. That proved the water pump was OK but the other combination of conditions nearly always indicate radiator problems.

Removal of his t-stat showed zero excess cooling capacity e.g. the temp gage indicated the same as with the stat installed. Coolant looked good until I ran some through a coffee filter: fine rust. The coolant was Toyota and had been in there 2 years.

A scan of the radiator with my IR gun showed the center section to be 90-100 F and the difference between the upper and lower hose was only 20 F when it should have been around 50+ F. The rad looked pretty good with the tanks cut open and as you can see the center section also look decent but opening a couple of channels shows the real story. A new radiator (this one was only 4 years old) solved the problem.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Really enjoy your autopsies JJ...they really tell the tale ;)

That ratio oxalic acid do you use and what do you use to neutralize?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I rarely throw broken things in the trash without tearing into them. I've always felt by doing that I'm throwing away something valuable. It's a curse ;)

Oxalic can be had in Prestone Heavy Duty Cooling System Cleaner. Two part powered stuff in the yellow can. It can be tough to find at times so these days I buy oxalic in bulk for cheap. Ebay is one source.

For a heavy clean three tablespoons. For a minor clean one. Drain coolant and remove T stat. Refill with water and add oxalic. Run for a total of about one hour. Drain, refill with water and neutralize with one tsp soda ash (bicarbonate) for 30 minutes. Drain, fill with water, drain (better is to remove lower hose and back flush), fill with coolant mix.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Has using Oxalic acid caused any adverse effects in your experience? A couple of Mercedes guys who used Citric acid claimed that once they did the flush, that a crusty white substance formed inside the cooling system that caused the heater valve and radiator to clog, and also made the water pump start leaking almost immediately.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
When jetjock says flush with water, that means distilled water. That is the ultimate neutralizer. If you flush with tap water you will do more harm than good. My local tap water is around 7.5-8 pH, and is loaded with sodium, flouride, chlorine, copper, and other heavy metals. That is another source for the junk, using tap water. Yes, you will look like a psycho carrying 12 gallons of distilled water through the supermarket.

DISTILLED WATER ONLY.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
wow.... that filter caught a lot of crap. have you taken the head off since you put the filter on? the reason i ask is that i notice whenever i remove the head, that the coolant channels between the block and head always seem to have some buildup in them. and i always use distilled water and toyota red. ill bet that your coolant channels are clean as a whistle.

BTW.... for the TB and ISCV coolant lines, which line is the outlet, and which is the inlet? im gonna do this setup while my motor is out
thanks
-pete