Code 52 doesn’t leave me alone

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jony89;2016170 said:
well I’m back pretty pissed off sad angry and everything else.
code 52 really really doesn’t want to leave me alone. even after i installed new knock sensors and a harness from shaeff. took the efi fuse of for more then a minute but still that stupid pos code comes back! i don’t get it guys what am i missing?

WOW!! I am pretty shocked about this...and totally bummed for you that you are still dealing with this issue. I was plagued with code 52 for a really long time and the Shaeff rewire fixed it (so far).

I am sure you have, but have you double and tripled checked the connections (sensor and ECU)? is your ground good? (maybe post pics of your ground)

I know Shaeff checks all of his harnesses before he ships them out, but it cant hurt to do a continuity check of the harness.

did you make sure to be super careful with the sensors? only torque them to, I think 13 ft-lb?

I guess the next step would be to test the ECU.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=50
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=122

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2016172 said:
WOW!! I am pretty shocked about this...and totally bummed for you that you are still dealing with this issue. I was plagued with code 52 for a really long time and the Shaeff rewire fixed it (so far).

I am sure you have, but have you double and tripled checked the connections (sensor and ECU)? is your ground good? (maybe post pics of your ground)

I know Shaeff checks all of his harnesses before he ships them out, but it cant hurt to do a continuity check of the harness.

did you make sure to be super careful with the sensors? only torque them to, I think 13 ft-lb?

I guess the next step would be to test the ECU.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=50
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=122

im not blaming shaeff his work looked very good. i can assure you i triple quadruple checked the plugs and i grounded the harness were the dash bar mount nuts are. its is nice and tight. took the efi fuse out then put it bak and went for a drive. it felt really good at first, i was able to pass 4k rpms at 50% throttle without having the car sputter or anything. after driving for around the block it came back on :( this crap is so annoying and eating up my gas! i do a 40 mile trip everyday in that thing!

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Ground sounds to be correct.

Did you pull the intake plenum and stuff when installing the new sensors? or just try to reach down there and feel it?

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2016190 said:
Ground sounds to be correct.

Did you pull the intake plenum and stuff when installing the new sensors? or just try to reach down there and feel it?

i didn’t need to pull it off I’m a skinny dude all i need is to loosen the started and i can get it off easily. haha car misfires a little, your can tell when it idles sometimes and occasionaly threw certain rpms while driving, can i misfire send a knock signal? My car still isn’t tuned yet :/

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jony89;2016199 said:
i didn’t need to pull it off I’m a skinny dude all i need is to loosen the started and i can get it off easily. haha car misfires a little, your can tell when it idles sometimes and occasionaly threw certain rpms while driving, can i misfire send a knock signal? My car still isn’t tuned yet :/

Code 52 doesn't indicate knock or misfire. It just indicates an issue with the knock sensor system/circuit.

My reason for asking whether you took the plenum off is becuase the knock sensors themselves are very sensitive. I wonder if you might have damaged one (or both) when you installed the new sensors.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2016323 said:
Code 52 doesn't indicate knock or misfire. It just indicates an issue with the knock sensor system/circuit.

My reason for asking whether you took the plenum off is becuase the knock sensors themselves are very sensitive. I wonder if you might have damaged one (or both) when you installed the new sensors.

so the ONLY reason code 52 comes up is because 1.both or one knock sensor is messed up. 2. wiring is messed. 3.ecu?
i was sure to be carful when putting in the knock sensors. i hand tighten them at first to be on the safe side and took it for a drive. code came up then tightened it a snug more but still came out! this is depressing..

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jony89;2016338 said:
so the ONLY reason code 52 comes up is because 1.both or one knock sensor is messed up. 2. wiring is messed. 3.ecu?
i was sure to be carful when putting in the knock sensors. i hand tighten them at first to be on the safe side and took it for a drive. code came up then tightened it a snug more but still came out! this is depressing..

That is correct. Code 52 only indicates an issue with the circuit...it will NOT indicate a knock. the ECU adjusts for knock real time all in the background.

I dont know what to tell you other than try a different ECU. you replaced the KS wiring, AND the KS sensors themselves...only other thing in the circuit is the ECU.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2016343 said:
That is correct. Code 52 only indicates an issue with the circuit...it will NOT indicate a knock. the ECU adjusts for knock real time all in the background.

I dont know what to tell you other than try a different ECU. you replaced the KS wiring, AND the KS sensors themselves...only other thing in the circuit is the ECU.

Dam well if anyone has one i can borrow local to Anaheim CA ill give you some money haha i don’t know any other supra owner but myself haha i have a n/a ecu laying around but that wouldn’t work would it?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jony89;2016352 said:
Dam well if anyone has one i can borrow local to Anaheim CA ill give you some money haha i don’t know any other supra owner but myself haha i have a n/a ecu laying around but that wouldn’t work would it?

No that wont work.

Post a want add on here...I am sure you will get some input

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yellow plug or gray plug?

I think i have a yellow plug at my house. Turbo. Also have na yellow.

In fullerton. Pm me.

Also might want to try a different point for ground and see if it makes a difference.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
hvyman;2016360 said:
Yellow plug or gray plug?

I think i have a yellow plug at my house. Turbo. Also have na yellow.

In fullerton. Pm me.

Also might want to try a different point for ground and see if it makes a difference.

I will try relocating the ground if no good illl pm u, thanks alot

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Been doing some searching and the torque for the sensor is 52 in-lb...over tightening can mess up the signal and cause a code 52

Mod please correct posts #61 and #62 to reflect the correct knock sensor torque of 52 in-lbs

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2016426 said:
If it makes you feel better...my Code 52 came back today on my drive to work...

yess makes me feel a lot better hahah just kidding! that really sucks man today I’m going to find another ground before i go to work if that don’t work hvyman will hopefully let me try out his ecu and well go from there

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
demon2318;2016452 said:
been doing some searching and the torque for the sensor is 52 in-lb...over tightening can mess up the signal and cause a code 52

mod please correct posts #61 and #62 to reflect the correct knock sensor torque of 52 in-lbs

where did you get this number?

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
99% of the time it's because your wiring job has been done poorly, this includes a new connector they are like $4 or $10-15 pre-made. .999% bad sensor and .0001% a faulty ECU that probably became bad because of a bad wiring job.
Do you have pictures of your wiring job?

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
atmperformance;2016487 said:
99% of the time it's because your wiring job has been done poorly, this includes a new connector they are like $4 or $10-15 pre-made. .999% bad sensor and .0001% a faulty ECU that probably became bad because of a bad wiring job.
Do you have pictures of your wiring job?

as i said before i got my harness from shaeff so all i did was a plug and play literally. His harness comes with brand new connectors, shielded wire and ground all in loom. soo all i had to do was plug the knock sensor clips, run the wire to the harness connecting to ecu and ground it. theres no difficulty in that so I’m 150% sure wiring isn’t the fault. Ill get pictures up on sunday, my day off finally