Code 52 doesn’t leave me alone

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
alright i know theres threads of this because I’ve read some before but haven’t really found an answer.

my problem with the car is that code 52 keeps popping up even after i rewired it. I know this code mainly has to do with the wire being damaged but what is the possibility that the problem is strictly the sensor? Or does the knock sensors have their own code?
The car also backfires here and there since its not tuned yet (500cc injectors), will this cause the knock sensors to pick up a 52?

thanks for your help in advanced

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
did you re-wire your knock sensors properly? It's possible for a KS to go bad but I've rarely seen that to be the case (If you to throw money at it I do spare pre-89 sensors) 52 doesn't have to do with back firing or knock it's simply a poor knock signal. I would however not run "500cc" injectors on the stock ECU since you're going to be running pig rich and probably washing oil off your cylinder walls.
How did you ground the shielding wire on your knock sensor and did you replace the connector and wire it into the ecu correctly?

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
atmperformance;2009183 said:
did you re-wire your knock sensors properly? It's possible for a KS to go bad but I've rarely seen that to be the case (If you to throw money at it I do spare pre-89 sensors) 52 doesn't have to do with back firing or knock it's simply a poor knock signal. I would however not run "500cc" injectors on the stock ECU since you're going to be running pig rich and probably washing oil off your cylinder walls.
How did you ground the shielding wire on your knock sensor and did you replace the connector and wire it into the ecu correctly?

we’ll i literally just came back from a test drive. i put a knock sensor i got from a junkyard because they are dam expensive. i only replaced the rear one and after clearing the code i stepped on it a bit to see if it comes back and it didn’t show back up. or at least not yet.

i rewired it straight to the ecu but i didn’t use coax shielded cable so its not grounded. i used regular wire and put some shrink tube on it for a little more protection.
another problem i have is when I’m in boost (usually on third gear) the car feels like it come on and off boost. so third gear pull feels like boooost…boost drop…boost back on!
im guessing boost leak? and i know i shouldn’t use 500s but thats what the motor came with so i have no stock injectors…i need to tune it

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
jony89;2009193 said:
we’ll i literally just came back from a test drive. i put a knock sensor i got from a junkyard because they are dam expensive. i only replaced the rear one and after clearing the code i stepped on it a bit to see if it comes back and it didn’t show back up. or at least not yet.

i rewired it straight to the ecu but i didn’t use coax shielded cable so its not grounded. i used regular wire and put some shrink tube on it for a little more protection.
another problem i have is when I’m in boost (usually on third gear) the car feels like it come on and off boost. so third gear pull feels like boooost…boost drop…boost back on!
im guessing boost leak? and i know i shouldn’t use 500s but thats what the motor came with so i have no stock injectors…i need to tune it

Where to start...

Rewiring with regular wire will do nothing...the whole point of the rewire is to use shielded coax so that you can ground out any noise that might goof up the knock signal.

Hit up Shaeff on here and get one of his plug and play knock sensor kits and do the rewire correctly.

The code 52 requires several checks before it will trigger, so your short test drive might not have been adequate to complete all of the tests.

As for the boost drop...sounds like fuel cut.

Do you have a AFR gauge? proper boost gauge?

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2009258 said:
Where to start...

Rewiring with regular wire will do nothing...the whole point of the rewire is to use shielded coax so that you can ground out any noise that might goof up the knock signal.

Hit up Shaeff on here and get one of his plug and play knock sensor kits and do the rewire correctly.

The code 52 requires several checks before it will trigger, so your short test drive might not have been adequate to complete all of the tests.

As for the boost drop...sounds like fuel cut.

Do you have a AFR gauge? proper boost gauge?

i don’t have a wideband yet and I’m using factory boost gauge for now, i don’t have boost turned up, I’m only on 6psi, can the 500cc inj be hitting fuel cut since its untuned?
but isn’t fuel cut when the maf sensor reads to much air going in..only 6psi tho, correct me if I’m wrong

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jony89;2009503 said:
but isn’t fuel cut when the maf sensor reads to much air going in..only 6psi tho, correct me if I’m wrong

Close enough.

The cut off point is higher on a stock vehicle. There is a defect in the charge cooler/tubing, or a huge compressor you are not telling us about.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
Nick M;2009512 said:
Close enough.

The cut off point is higher on a stock vehicle. There is a defect in the charge cooler/tubing, or a huge compressor you are not telling us about.

well i mentioned a boost leak i might be having (haven't been able to diagnose) but turbo and intercooler are all stock. if there is a defect then i don't know about it yet either lol

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
DeMoN2318;2009739 said:
^^

Wow...stock exhaust, stock intake?

Yes, I plan on getting my downpipe this month and puting the 3in exhaust back on tht I was using before the swap, and IC will go on soon after that.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Hmmm...prob not fuel cut than.

Get the knock sensors rewired correctly first, then the car will be running right so you can better diagnose othing problems.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Why do I have a feeling he's running 550cc and lex afm. Sounds like a dying turbo if it won't hold boost. Normally a boost leak will be laggy but still be close to maintaining the level.

You don't have to tune the car if it's on 550cc and lex afm. They're both 25% bigger than the stock part so the theory is they cancel each other out.

jony89

Oct 20, 2013
LongBeach
well i may be wrong on the injector size but when i took the rail apart the injectors had 500 on the, company is rc injectors. The reason i am not sure is because these were one the car already when i bought it and owner didn’t tell me about them so that is the only reference i have. I tried looking up the part number they have on it but no luck on that.

After looking at my spark plugs they are very black so looks to me that its very rich

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
RC doesnt make 500's so you must have 550's.

What is the P/N? There are two types of 550's so hopefully you have the set up right

The 550 with lex will idle near stock but will run rich through the RPMs (you would know this if you have a AFR meter...cough cough hint hint) which is why people usually pair it with some kind of fuel tuning device...