Bad so far with Setheron71.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
I was ordering a manifold from Setheron, after about 10 days I had to pull out because of financial problems that are setting me back completely now. I gave him a deposit of $150 to start the manifold. He returned 80 of that back to me but I feel it is unfair as I am left with NOTHING except negative. I want the rest of my money and after several PM's to seth he has not returned any of them. I filed a paypal dispute last night for the other half of the money and he finally spoke up threatening me on SF.

I warn ALL buyers that Seth is not a good guy and is NOT looking out for his sellers, he will take your money at ANY chance.

This is a quote from one of the pm's I received.

So go ahead I will show proof of the deal we had and then I will in return send a dispute against you for the $75 I returned to you as that is rightfully mine as well. I hope you are not needing that $75.

You have opened something you may not have wanted too. I am respected on the forums here and at SM and people will know how you operate. Trust me doing something this ridiculous and rash will cost you more in the end, maybe not money but if you plan to stay around the forums.

Seth

I feel this is out of hand and I will keep this thread open until I get my money back. No business should threaten the Buyers reputation aswell as steal their money.

He said to me that he was using the $150 for cost of materials, but in the end I am left with nothing. That isn't how business works. I know seth will turn around and sell the manifold for FULL cost to another buyer, obviously if he is this cruel he would take any thing he can get.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Hate to say it, but that's what deposits are for. Just incase someone backs out. I would say getting half the money back was generous. I wouldn't of even expected anything back. Hope all works out for you though.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
He never once said that it was a Non refundable deposit. I atleast deserve the Materials he bought with the money as either the $75 is rightfully mine or any thing he bought with it!

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
So do you want $75 in welding sticks and argon gas? When you are having something custom made, and the work has already begun, and you pull out before the completion, Im sorry to tell you, some companies wouldnt give you anything back... If Seth already started welding up a FFI for you, how can you equate a value on that? Its not so much the materials he bought, but the time and labor he put into your piece, that you decided you didnt want, for whatever reason...

I'll let you two hash this out, keep it clean... But in my opinion, I think hime giving you half your money back is more than fair... Try ordering a custom made door or window from Home Depot or Lowes and after the door/window is in the process of being made cancel the order and see what they tell you... You wont get ANY of your deposit back, trust me on that, I know...

PowerTrip Performance

Custom Fabrication
Dec 5, 2005
Oregon
www.myspace.com
I am gonna have to side with Seth on this one as well. Deposits are for this reason. I used to do make manifolds without requiring a deposit, but after being burnt one or twice because of "money troubles", or "I blew up my motor", or "I wrecked my car", or "I decided to sell my car", or "I had to take my girlfriend to dinner" , and so on, I now will not touch a project without having a 50% deposit up front. I ask for 50% because it lets me know the buyer is serious about the project, and will more than likely not be so easy to flake out. I understand that money gets tight sometimes, but this is not Wal-Mart and there is no lay-away programs in custom fabrication. Seth is a stand up guy in my book for giving anything back.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know Seth, but he does seem to be fair. I also agree that he could probably sell the manifold he's started building to someone else, but apparently he doesn't look at it that way. I'd say be happy or content with the refund you got and make sure that your fully committed next time before you order something to be built.............just my two cents worth, Jay

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
You're saying that its OKAY for him to counter-dispute to get the money he ALREADY gave to me?! I doubt he already finished the manifold and if he bought welding sticks and metal, then I believe that they are MY parts. Am I SO wrong for saying that?

Or are you trying to say that he's dont $150 in labor already?! I doubt it.

PowerTrip Performance

Custom Fabrication
Dec 5, 2005
Oregon
www.myspace.com
JoeC said:
You're saying that its OKAY for him to counter-dispute to get the money he ALREADY gave to me?! I doubt he already finished the manifold and if he bought welding sticks and metal, then I believe that they are MY parts. Am I SO wrong for saying that?

Or are you trying to say that he's dont $150 in labor already?! I doubt it.

Material costs and labor, he could easily be in the thing $150 with only an hour or two worth of work. The only place I know of locally that can tig aluminum charges $40 for every six inches of weld. Not to mention, the runner core and cleaning/bead blasting it. Anytime at all that he was working on your manifold that was not going to be paid for, he could have been building someone elses who is going to pay.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
The deposit is there to protect the laborer, what if he didnt take any money and then you back out, well then he's negative. I understand your point of veiw but i believe in most custom work its safe to say that a deposit would be "non-refundable." On a side note if the manifold is complete and setron wants to get rid of it shoot me a pm, ill pick up the slack ;)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I'm not so sympathetic on this one either. I have had people more then a few times have me go out of my way to make something custom or get parts shipped out extra fast only to have them say they had some financial problem and want to send everything back or cancel the whole deal. If you were in his position you would understand. He could have said that the deposit was enough to cover the work he did so far, and you don't have to pay the full amount until you have the rest of the money available, and just kept the whole deposit. The whole reason for a deposit is to keep people from doing what you just did.

Last edited:

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
you guys bring up great points, but im sidding with joe,

there's no proff any work was done! no pictures, just his word that materials were boughten, who says these things weren't at his place of fabrication arleady?

i know how deposites work. but i also know the turn around time on this mani wasn't going to be very fast.. paypal takes 3-4 days for the money to clear in usualy right? atleast when i make transfers..maybe thats just from the bank to a paypal member through pp, either way, in a week at most all the work he has done, could be noted, and used for the very next customer, i doubt that the work completed so far is very different from most manifolds.

the the runner's to length and weld a plate to it and begin to port for velocity stacks... the plenuim design can be made out to many different designs, i imagine they dont start at the tb first. and work backwards..

in my eye's, he's attempting to charge joe for the parts that he'll charge another customer for, and make 2 fold the amount on labor and material.
you guys cant tell me im wrong there. i know the next cat in line isn't getting a price break cause some one backed out.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I would have given him the money back, but I can see why he would choose not to. :dunno: The reason I would is because if you piss someone off they usually tell many people that they had a bad experience (like in this thread).

Here are some customer service statistics:

It can cost up to five times as much to attract a new customer than to retain an existing one.

The average business never hears from 96% of its unhappy customers.

For every complaint received, the average company in fact has 26 customers with problems, 6 of which are serious in nature.

Surprisingly, of the people who have problems, complainers are more likely than non-complainers to do business again with a company that upset them, even if the problem isn't satisfactorily resolved.

Of customers who register a complaint, between 54% and 70% will do business again with the organization if their complaint is resolved. That figure goes up to an impressive 95% if the customer feels that the complaint was resolved quickly.

The average customer who has a problem with an organization tells 9 or 10 people about it. Thirteen percent of the people who have a problem with an organization recount the incident to more than 20 people.

Customers who have complained to an organization and had their complaints satisfactorily resolved tell an average of 5 people about the treatment they receive.

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
Well its nice to hear the seller is trying to protect his investments, But as well as he. So am I. I understand what you guys are saying but look at it from my point of view. I lost $75. Would you be happy? No.. I am sure most of you would be doing the same thing. Unless $75 is stripper change to most of you.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Consider your 75 dollars payment for wasting his time. Time that could have been spent doing work for someone else who won't back out expecting full refund of a deposit and then post some libel online.

Feel lucky you got anything back. Most people or shops would probably tell you to kick rocks for asking for a deposit refund for a custom part that was already started.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
JoeC why not just resolve this by selling the complete item he is making for you?
It is not his fault you need the money now more then the part. He is already 10 days into this project he is making for you.

If not i am sure even he could give you back your money and sell it to someone else but if this manifold is so custom that he would have to keep your 75$ 1/2 what you paid just so he could sell the finished thing for say only $20(if it would be only worth that hypotheticaly) + your $75 for him to break even with what he put into this. now thats just saying he could only get 20$ for it and that he put a good 95$ worth of work into your custom project.

So either drop this and get the item he made for you and figure your financial issue by going around this deal you made prior to your personal problems.

Or if this is a good item let him sell it for you and let him pay you for what he could sell it for.

Was there any terms to this agreement before sending him the money? like was it non rufundable when he started ?

If there was no terms its not fair that he or you should pay for the mistake and you bash each other in the forum comunitys for your personal issues. Take him to court or let him take you in.

How as a forum could we help this situation get better for you? It sounds almost like a personal problem and if you would just keep your item and he kept your money like you originaly agreed to there wouldnt even be an issue here.

In fact if so the only issue would be if he sends you a crappy item or nothing at all and kept all of your money.

blackgamer16

Supra Driver
Apr 27, 2005
Sooner Country
I know seth, is not here to screw anybody over and just like somebody mentioned before his FFIM customers are very valueable to him. So i doubt he would ruin that over a 150 dollars.

I think your lucky as hell getting 75 back, he shouldnt of given you anything.

The thing that puzzles me so much. Is if there is a so called waiting list, why wouldn't you just trade your FFIM for a person next on the list and have them send you the 150...?

Done deal! Easy as pie

Blackgamer

Status
Not open for further replies.