Are rising Gas Prices affecting anyone from further modifying your supra?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
ImpulseDrive;1035375 said:
Just wondering if the rise of gas prices effected any owners here with thier plans on the mk3. I know I for sure am one, I daily drive my mk3 to work and have to do many errands in it and although I drive it with sense I still find myself saying, well I can't afford X or Y mod again for another stretch of time.

Just wondering if I'm alone on this one.

Mine isn't a daily driver, so no. I only drive it in warmer weather. I cruise in the Yukon and its 13 mph city rating.

surferofthesnow

Feb 14, 2008
Ketchum, ID
It's not holding me back too much. I'm just happy and sad when I do anything new to my car. Will a 300+ horse 1jz compared to my 7mge decrease my mileage or increase it? JK. I KNOW it will increase it!

cruzian7m

virgin islands native
Jul 31, 2005
phila,pa
My baby is a weekend toy with a standalone that's tuned for pump gas, so as long as i stay in vacuum in the city i'm ok, plus with an .81 a/r on the hot side lag is my friend. It's down for a rebuild right now, and some upgrades. My 99 1/2 pathfinder actually drinks more fuel thank my supra, i'm thinking about going back to a sedan as a dd, oh well.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
3p141592654;1037068 said:
Supply and (world) demand, nothing else.

No...wrong.

There's a lot more to it than that.

In short:
OPEC prices a barrel of oil in American dollars and when you have a weakened dollar the price of everything goes up, especially imported good for which the dollar now exchanges at a lower value. Combine that with a volatile stockmarket that investors are afraid to put their money in, and you create a situation in which finite commodities (gold, silver, oil, etc.) become more attractive to big investors afraid of losing their money on the dow or other traditional markets.

If the stock market is volatile enough (and it is), the value of these commodities are artificially inflated by what is refered to as a "investor driven market" . Also, oil companies will see this as an opportunity to gouge the consumer even though the oil that is on the market today will not be refined and in your local gas station for as long as year. Even longer depending on market reserves. And those are just a few of the factors.

I don't have time here to give you a degree in global economics, but trust me...it's not as simple as supply and demand or gas would still be a dollar a gallon.

NeedsAPorsche

Muscle Milk
May 23, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
i'm going to have to agree with the post above me, things aren't always as simple as we'd like them to be in order to obtain lower gas prices...unfortunately there's just a lot going on causing ups, and more ups...from what i hear, it's only going to get worse, :3d_frown:

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
No need to patronize SB, I know more than I am posting. Many analysts believe 85mbd is the limit for world production. They are betting on this with their long term investments. Demand is projected to exceed 85mbd by 2012 or sooner.

While your comments on the USD are valid, oil now is being sold in euros in some markets for that reason.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
suprabad;1037286 said:
No...wrong.

There's a lot more to it than that.

In short:
OPEC prices a barrel of oil in American dollars and when you have a weakened dollar the price of everything goes up, especially imported good for which the dollar now exchanges at a lower value. Combine that with a volatile stockmarket that investors are afraid to put their money in, and you create a situation in which finite commodities (gold, silver, oil, etc.) become more attractive to big investors afraid of losing their money on the dow or other traditional markets.

If the stock market is volatile enough (and it is), the value of these commodities are artificially inflated by what is refered to as a "investor driven market" . Also, oil companies will see this as an opportunity to gouge the consumer even though the oil that is on the market today will not be refined and in your local gas station for as long as year. Even longer depending on market reserves. And those are just a few of the factors.

I don't have time here to give you a degree in global economics, but trust me...it's not as simple as supply and demand or gas would still be a dollar a gallon.

I have listened to people whine and moan about gas prices and try to come up with their own excuse. This piece of writing is by far the most few educated lines of text on the subject i have ever read.

However this rises another question, and im not educated on the subject but why has the dollar gone down in price on the market, I trully have no idea so im not trying to be ignorant. Would just like to hear and educated explonation.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Yeah 87 Supra turbo is my daily... so I'm really planning where Im going and taking it easy until the weekend. Its not preventing me from any modifications, just the frequency of my cruises:nono:

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
i purchased a beater civic to drive my 100 miles to and from work everyday.. the civic blows.. nothing but stupid maintenance problems right now

ImpulseDrive

Apr 23, 2007
Brooklyn
Got a lot of replies in a night, thanks guys.

As for the gas prices affecting me and my life, no it isn't thankfully. I drive a lot less, I just have to wait longer amounts of time to make mod purchases, if any from now on.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
UkiSash;1037423 said:
However this rises another question, and im not educated on the
subject but why has the dollar gone down in price on the market, I trully have no idea so im
not trying to be ignorant. Would just like to hear and educated explonation.

I'm happy to answer your question Ukisash. The complete answer would take many pages but I'll try to explain the basics:

In short, there is a dollar crisis in the world economy due to the absurdly high level of debt of the U.S.A. The U.S A. is the largest debtor in history, owing between $70-$100 trillion: our debt is so high that no-one really knows exactly how much we owe (it's like looking at a sand dune and trying to count the granules ).
The Federal Reserve Bank, creates money out of thin air, no kidding. If they need money they just print it up. But since our money is not backed by gold or silver or any other "real" collateral its only "real" value is our ability to pay it back (our credit rating).

Unfortunately for us, the rest of the world does not have the faith in our country that we do, so when the Federal Reserve Bank orders more money to be printed, and since (as I mentioned) our money is not backed by any "real" collateral, it lowers the value of existing dollars. Example- If a dollar is worth a dollar and the Fed prints up and circulates 10% more money then that dollar is now worth 90 cents.

It gets worse. The Federal Reserve Bank also sets the prime-rate which is the interest rate that the Federal Reserve Bank lends money to other banks, which they in turn add some interest to and lend you. When the economy slows, as it does from time to time, the government doesn’t collect as many revenues as it normally would (taxes) so it will print more money to pay its foreign and domestic debt and lower the prime rate as well to supposedly encourage investment. So now they’ve created a situation where not only have they lowered the value of the dollar (by printing more money), they are also compounding the problem by lending money out at a lower interest rate, which is viewed by foreign nations and all banks (including our own) as putting less value on our own currency because the fed is “selling” our currency in the form of loans and charging less for it (prime rate). This has ended up starting a worldwide trend of having less faith in the U.S dollar and continues the trend of the dollar’s donward spiral. The governments answer? Print more money and lower the prime rate.

You get the picture? Hope this helps you understand.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
3p141592654;1037415 said:
While your comments on the USD are valid, oil now is being sold in euros in some markets for that reason.

Not it is not. There are no markets where crude oil is sold in euros.
There's only Iranian Oil Bourse, they tried to make a euro based market for oil, but received a lot of threats from US, also their internet cables in the bottom of the Mediterranean sea, have been cut on their opening day. So that market is in euros, but they sell oil just for various plastic use and not crude.

If they would also sell crude oil in euros, then weak dollar would fell even more, because dollar is very dependent on oil and a lot of usd's are floating in crude oil's market. So because of that US central bank is trying hardest it can to keep control of oil market in USD hands ;) It's just plain economics.

Gas prices in europe are forecasted to go up by 50% by the next spring. But I dont know about situation in US

improved

Running!
Apr 4, 2005
California
suprabad;1037843 said:
I'm happy to answer your question Ukisash. The complete answer would take many pages but I'll try to explain the basics:

In short, there is a dollar crisis in the world economy due to the absurdly high level of debt of the U.S.A. The U.S A. is the largest debtor in history, owing between $70-$100 trillion: our debt is so high that no-one really knows exactly how much we owe (it's like looking at a sand dune and trying to count the granules ).
The Federal Reserve Bank, creates money out of thin air, no kidding. If they need money they just print it up. But since our money is not backed by gold or silver or any other "real" collateral its only "real" value is our ability to pay it back (our credit rating).

Unfortunately for us, the rest of the world does not have the faith in our country that we do, so when the Federal Reserve Bank orders more money to be printed, and since (as I mentioned) our money is not backed by any "real" collateral, it lowers the value of existing dollars. Example- If a dollar is worth a dollar and the Fed prints up and circulates 10% more money then that dollar is now worth 90 cents.

It gets worse. The Federal Reserve Bank also sets the prime-rate which is the interest rate that the Federal Reserve Bank lends money to other banks, which they in turn add some interest to and lend you. When the economy slows, as it does from time to time, the government doesn’t collect as many revenues as it normally would (taxes) so it will print more money to pay...

Not to go too far off topic, because there is a place for it, this is the point where I stopped reading. America does not, I repeat not, just make money. It is a far more complicated process, that is based on the GDP/NDP with other intracacies that go beyond my explanation.

As a side note there is probably handful of countries(small,) whose currency is backed by gold and silver, this type of backing greatly limits growth.

Matt-

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Although it is off topic it's nice to see what is REALLY going on with gas. All I knew is that it had to do with investors, and now I see a more informed explanation :)

But try not to stray too off topic guys.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
charlesshen;1036347 said:
ya less money for parts all goes to gas

Dido, same here. More $$ to fill up the V and no extra $$ to finish the Supra:cry:, and it's so close. O-well atleast with Bush's check it will get me really close to the finish line.:biglaugh:

Hell It even crossed my mind to sell it to pay for bills but that only lasted for a min. since i have way to much into the 7m, and wouldn't get the right $$$$ as for what i have into it

Last edited:

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
swaq;1036414 said:
I have more important things to spend my extra cash on than parts at the moment. A down payment on a house comes to mind...

i just bought a house and thats affecting the supra more than gas prices.
everyday my wife finds something else we need to buy for it.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
I'm throwing a little under 10k at a completely custom built twin turbo 7M within the next year and it will still be my daily driver/drift car:naughty:...gas prices are gonna affect me, but the fact that I'm moving within 5-10 miles to work should compensate for the increasing gas prices...My advice to people that are currently building high HP motors to most certainly run EMS so if your drive to work is 20-30-50+ miles, you can just switch to a more "economical" fuel map...not that it will help drastically, but its something.