Are rising Gas Prices affecting anyone from further modifying your supra?

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
nah, too expensive, supra has a downtime of 95% :D And I just drive it during summer months, it also would cost a lot to invest in it to drive it normally, taking into account all the darn "old car" taxes, insurance, road and so on. Supra is also a bit off my daily/weekend needs by space and parking abilities...
Lex is not exactly the weekend car, more of a second car of the family.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Not at all. The car hasn't moved in nearly 2 years anyway. If anything, having it off the road is making me modify it MORE. :)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
$4.15 super where I live, and yes it pisses me off, but I'm not going to buy some shit-box, no style, no fun hybrid for $30k.

$30k buys a lot of gas (and still have money leftover for mods).

:icon_razz

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've barely driven my Supra in the last month. Partly gas prices and partly overheating with the A/C running. I have more important things to spend my extra cash on than parts at the moment. A down payment on a house comes to mind...

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
swaq;1036414 said:
I've barely driven my Supra in the last month. Partly gas prices and partly overheating with the A/C running. I have more important things to spend my extra cash on than parts at the moment. A down payment on a house comes to mind...

Your priorities are all wrong. You can sleep in the Supra but you can't drive a house. :biglaugh:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
ive driven my supra 330 miles in the past year. its not a daily driver.

ive been riding my bike wherever i need to, its free and its a good workout! once i move into my new house i am going to tear into the car again :)

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
My supra has been my daily driver for allmost a year now but with gas prices the way they are i have been working on a new project lol Its a 1988 volkswagon jetta that i have so lovingly named project MPG. The only down side to the "new" project car is that i hate the way the car looks,drives,handles,stops, and shifts but it does get 30+mpg and it was free with four good tires. I have my eye on a aw11 mr2 that needs a motor so hopfully project mpg will only be a short term project car

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
No. I'm still replacing worn out parts with new, modified OEM parts, like a ceramic coated OEM exhaust manifold, and giving new life to an old 21 y/o.
Next, rust removal and a respray in Super White, w/late model trim. Van

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
During the week leading up to the Memorial Day holiday, the traditional start of vacation season, Americans pumped 5.5 percent less gasoline than a year ago.

Americans have pumped about 1.7 percent less gasoline than in the same period a year ago.

U.S. Department of Energy data showed highway miles driven in March fell 4.3 percent from a year earlier, the first March decline since the last major oil shock in 1979.

Last edited:

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
As long as investors keep on hedging funds with oil futures and over inflating oil prices and the eco-idiots preventing any new refineries and/or drilling and the oil companies not doing anything we will see the cost of gas continue to rise.

Investment firms are buying the option to buy oil at one price and then selling that option to buy at a higher prices when it comes close to the time to buy the oil. And every time oil makes the news the brokers buy up more options. Only thing that does is over inflate the price of oil. Neither the oil companies or the brokers are going to do something about the over inflated price because they are making too much money.

The problem with over inflating prices is when the price hits critical mass and the bottom drops out. Brokers who bought the options at an over inflated price are now stuck with worthless options to buy. If this sounds familiar it should. It happen once before. We called it "The Great Depression"

And another reason prices are so high is because the tax rate on gas is not a flat tax but a percentage tax. State, federal, county, and city all tax gas. It would not surprise me if 1/3 of the price of gas is from taxes levied. And each time gas prices go up so does the amount of tax levied.

Taxation with representation isn't such a great idea either....