Are rising Gas Prices affecting anyone from further modifying your supra?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
foreverpsycotic;1035597 said:
We are not too far behind you, gas in my town is at 4.41 a gal for 87

Let's not start this argument, please. Gas is about the same price, but taxes make up the difference. End of story.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
You want to know the saddest thing in the world?

My turbo supra (as long as I dont wing the boost) gets better gas mileage than all of my other vehicles.

My old GMC 4x4 Jimmy was a given but I have sold it (thanks VA for making me pay personal property taxes on a vehicle I dont have)

My 99 Nissan Altima gets crap for mileage as does my Dodge 4x4 at 18 mpg on a good day downhill.

So far even on Premium I seem to spend less on the Sup. I pull the truck up and feel the Oil Execs in my wallet.... Im done with Nissans this Altima is insane I am getting 230-260 miles out of a tank of gas. I have tried plugs, filters and watching the air in the tires. I even changed the front downpipe thinking I had a leak... Damn thing is Horrible on gas.

So yup the Supra is seeing a lot more road time.

V

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
vdragonmpc;1035606 said:
You want to know the saddest thing in the world?

My turbo supra (as long as I dont wing the boost) gets better gas mileage than all of my other vehicles.

My old GMC 4x4 Jimmy was a given but I have sold it (thanks VA for making me pay personal property taxes on a vehicle I dont have)

My 99 Nissan Altima gets crap for mileage as does my Dodge 4x4 at 18 mpg on a good day downhill.

So far even on Premium I seem to spend less on the Sup. I pull the truck up and feel the Oil Execs in my wallet.... Im done with Nissans this Altima is insane I am getting 230-260 miles out of a tank of gas. I have tried plugs, filters and watching the air in the tires. I even changed the front downpipe thinking I had a leak... Damn thing is Horrible on gas.

So yup the Supra is seeing a lot more road time.

V
Check your o2 sensor. At 10 years old it may be time to check. There's no reason you should be getting such crappy fuel mileage out of a 99 Altima.

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
Nocheez;1035609 said:
Check your o2 sensor. At 10 years old it may be time to check. There's no reason you should be getting such crappy fuel mileage out of a 99 Altima.

The Altima has 2 I have already replaced the one on the header. I checked the rear one when I replaced the downpipe and it was clean (Its not that expensive to replace though)

Thanks for the idea I actually forgot about the back one until your post.. Out of sight out of mind you know.

V

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
10secdream;1035585 said:
Won't make a world of a difference for me as it is my weekend car. In Canada we are already paying 1.28 a liter up where I live and some places even higher. That is about 5 dollars a gallon in the United States.

Regardless of how much gas is we all still rely heavily on transportation. I think people just need to prioritize on the amount of driving that is actually needed.

About 1.37 a liter for premium which I'm sure most people use!

The price won't stop me from modding mine, however it will cut down the amount of time I spend on the road with it. Actually I've already started. Most times I walk to the train station to get to work instead of driving there.

Waiting for the FT-HS! :biglaugh:

Ron

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
In some cars it heps trim the mixture and can even take over the job of the main sensor but on most it's there to monitor catalyst efficiency. Put another way it watches to see if the cat is working and, by default, watches to see if the upstream sensor is working.

Btw, since you own an OBDII car you should invest in a decent scanner/code reader. Makes working on them a lot easier...

vdragonmpc

tireflaminrumpshaker
Apr 11, 2005
Colonial Heights
www.joncjennings.com
jetjock;1035664 said:
In some cars it heps trim the mixture and can even take over the job of the main sensor but on most it's there to monitor catalyst efficiency. Put another way it watches to see if the cat is working and, by default, watches to see if the upstream sensor is working.

Btw, since you own an OBDII car you should invest in a decent scanner/code reader. Makes working on them a lot easier...

I had read the repair manual and it says the same thing you are saying I figured since it monitored the cat it was doing the same thing as the front one.. They are both old so a replacement isnt out of the way.

And its always easy to work on: You just stand next to it and hollar "What the F*** is wrong with you you d***** piece of sh**" Then buy replacement parts...

Unlike the Supra where you stand next to her and talk nice so you dont have to buy expensive parts and hope she doesnt get pissed off and REALLY cost you some bucks....

Bottom line: never cuss the Sup.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Nocheez;1035505 said:
Nope, my Camry is my 30 mpg+ daily driver. The Supra is my sunny day and weekend car.

plus one

This is about the stupidest thing I've heard. It's not feasible for most Americans to have no vehicle, it's simply a necessity. I'll be glad when there's less behemoth 4x4's on the road (for everyone's safety and reduced use of fuel) but $20 a gallon won't stop people from driving. It'll just cripple those who need to get to work but can't afford to feed their family or themselves.

ThirstyMKthrice

Feb 26, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
I doubt most people are really going to pay $20+ per gallon. I can see people just filling up and hauling ass out of the gas station at that point. I remember when $5 was a good amount to give a friend to drive you somewhere... :(

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
jetjock;1035622 said:
Just FYI but the rear one doesn't control fuel...

This is the what I have heard also, yet when the rear O2 went out on my 99 G20, my fuel economy went from 30mpg to ~17-19mpg. I have a friend who is a Master Nissan Tech and he told me that Nissan has used the second sensor for fuel trim on some cars.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
Its up to $90 Canadian to fill up the Supra now with 94 oct pump gas!!!!!! My Supra gets better milage than my DD 4runner but with gas near $1.50 per litre ($5.67 per gallon) for 94 oct, 87 oct is at $1.34 right now ($5.06 per gallon) so there isnt much difference in the end. I wonder how much race gas is now, VP 103 unleaded?.

I am also wondering about how much people are going to be modifying thier cars with the high price of everything, ie fuel, raw materials, shipping etc.., scince I am in the buisiness of modifying cars and turning them in to high octane fuel guzzlers. I guess we will see, hopefully BIC performance wont turn into a general repair shop, or have to close its doors :cry:

Randy
www.bicperformance.com

626na

Banned
Jan 15, 2008
cali
its sad 2 years ago i used to go to my local 76 gas station and they had 100oct for 5.25 and now our cheap ass 87oct is almost the same price. sad:nono:

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
I just dont let the gas prices affect me. If your worried about it right now, just imagine 10 years from now. People will be ripping their hair out at the gas pumps. Another way to look at it, is just make enough money to support your modding habbits. Crackheads and alcoholics can do it why can't the supraholics?

EDIT: thats for enthusiasts of old cars, 10 yrs from now im sure they'll have some other sources of fuel for new cars, hydro, gas, electro. But the hardcore enthusiasts of the older cars will be the ones hurting.

vdragonmpc;1035670 said:
Bottom line: never cuss the Sup.

i dont cuss.......... i hammer. ussually does the trick :biglaugh::biglaugh: Jon(jonoturbo) will tell you.

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
Well, they are effecting me right now :)
First of, after half a year of driving, I saw that filling a supra costs me about 130usd per tank and for fuel I was spending 250-300usd per month, which is a lot to me, so I bought a small car for daily use, which costs 60usd to fill the tank and about 120usd per month. As the prices rose even more, I've started to drive as less as possible, so now I spend about 90usd for fuel with my AYGO.
Also I bought Lexus IS220d just for weekend driving, or then when I need some luxury, like going to play golf and so on :) And I'm happy because of that, I emit less pollution with AYGO, and it's cheaper to drive...

And supra is my toy, I drive no more then 1000miles per whole summer with it, so prices will not effect me :) And I've ordered my architect to build a new garage for supra this summer, with two glass walls, and that's where supra will spend most of its time ;)

Edit: and it's nice to see less big cars on the road, less traffic and also it's great to breathe cleaner air in the old city, where are the most traffic jams.

Last edited: