Am I a minority?

billwert

Sep 25, 2007
Naylor
Supras are extremely scarce in my area so most people around here do not even know what a supra is MKIII or MKIV. I get asked questions all the time and people look at me like what the hell is that. The most common question I get asked is; "is it FWD?".

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Just to build a little on what people have stated...

I have a "theory" as to why MKIV owners and the other Gen Supra owners don't seem to get along...

And that is that most MKIV owners are NOT Supra guys (Let alone Toyota guys), they're just MKIV guys... Guys that are in NOT just to appreciate what a great car it is, but to down right show off to others their x,xxxWHP numbers...

Most that own a MKIV have "other" brand name cars in the same stable, while most MK3 owners being the good Toyota guys they are as well will own other Toyota vehicles... To most MKIV guys, the link ends with the MKIV... We can thank F&F for that!

Most MK3 guys on the other hand ARE NOT ONLY Supra guys, but also TOYOTA guys as well... and at the same time, they are CHEAP! That embarrasses the usual MKIV owner who is only in for the status... They don't know much about the MK3, and when they do see one, is all broken down and with mismatched parts and homedepot parts!

I think that's where the issues begin... most MKIV owners want to stay away from the (according to them) retarded older brother while the retarded older brother wants to stay close, but eventually gets tired of getting blown away and eventually feels resentment and don't want anything to do with the younger brother ...

Other things affect difference in owner crowd as well, but those are more related to the purpose the cars were built for. For instance... there were 956 meetings to discuss weight reduction ALONE for the MKIV... That completely changes the purpose it was built for from the MK3, which was the opposite...

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
so even though I feel like the MkIV is a fat pig, you're saying the MkIII is really the chubby older brother?

Supraholics;1440624 said:
broken down and with mismatched parts and homedepot parts!

^ thanks for the idea. Next meet I'll bring all my left over kitchen and bathroom plumbing parts and sell them as MkIII intercooler and fuel system parts. :love:

Victor Charlie

Supramania Contributor
Aug 18, 2009
Ann Arbor
Supraholics;1440624 said:
Just to build a little on what people have stated...

I have a "theory" as to why MKIV owners and the other Gen Supra owners don't seem to get along...

Some interesting comparisons between the generations, enough to make me slightly interested in learning about the differences between the two. But I can't believe MKIII and MKIV owners don't get along. Really? Never met an MKIV owner I didn't like. At least on the forums. Never met an MKIV owner in person at all, actually. (I don't get out much.) This whole jealousy thing - seems potentially divisive and overblown. If it's real, I'm happy keeping my head in the sand about it.

Seriously, I wonder what's behind the numbers. I love the boosted 7M so much, I haven't looked at dual turbocharged engines and the relative Pluses/minuses. If there is so much power potential in the 7M, why bother with dual turbo? In general, what are the relative strengths and weaknesses of the MKIII and MKIV? I'm interested in maximizing the potential of my MKIII, not trying to make it something it isn't. Borrowing improvements from the MKIV is helpful, but I don't want to borrow things that will change the basic personality of my car, which is trying to become a raging, snarling beast, as far as I can tell.

The distinct characteristics of each supra model really helps understand the possibilities for planning and executing a project car. Having MKIV and MKIII owners together on this forum is a huge plus for both.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Another MKIV owner here...

I also own an MKIII an an MKI supra, as well as a 2jz swapped mx83 cressida.

I'm not a MKIV guy, I am a toyota guy.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Victor Charlie;1441044 said:
The distinct characteristics of each supra model really helps understand the possibilities for planning and executing a project car. Having MKIV and MKIII owners together on this forum is a huge plus for both.

It's what we've been trying to do here for quite some time. There are a narrow few who can't get over their jealousy or prejudice and fuck it up for everyone. I'd really like to see this community stomp on narrow minded people who insist upon perpetuating this non-existent war...

gixxer750;1441053 said:

I know where you're coming from. If you look in my garage, you'll find nothing but Toyota's. I've owned everything from a 1977 Celica GT to my current love, the MKIV. Theresa drives an MR-S, she had a MKII but gave it to someone who needed it more than we do. We're Toyota people, not MKII, MKII, MKIV people.

mc_h

Apr 1, 2005
Windsor/Detroit
For me, I build my car for what *I* want, not to impress other supra owners whether it be mk4 or other...If somebody wants to have a bad attitude, then fuck em - I have other things to worry about

Most MK4 owners aren't pricks anyways, just an isolated bunch of them

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Supracentral;1441157 said:
I know where you're coming from. If you look in my garage, you'll find nothing but Toyota's. I've owned everything from a 1977 Celica GT to my current love, the MKIV. Theresa drives an MR-S, she had a MKII but gave it to someone who needed it more than we do. We're Toyota people, not MKII, MKII, MKIV people.

77 celicas are awesome, I'd love to have one myself. They are just so hard to find around here. To be honest, I don't think I've ever owned anything that wasn't a toyota. My wife has owned hondas nissans and jeeps...

Here's my list of past vehicles...

1988 Toyota 4X4 truck
1983 Toyota Corolla DLX - 4a-ge swapped
1986 mr2
1988 mr2 SC
1986 supra NA auto
1979 Toyota Supra - 1uz-fe supercharged
1987 Toyota supra turbo
1988 supra turbo
1989 Toyota supra turbo
1990 Supra turbo
1991 Supra turbo
1993.5 Supra NA-T
1985 Corolla GTS
1986 Corolla GTS
1988 Celica alltrac
1991 Celica alltrac
1990 Celica GT - Beams 3S swapped
1991 Cressida - 2jz
1998 Toyota Camry
1992 mr2 turbo
1994 mr2 turbo

I think thats about it... LOL I've had quite a few toyotas in the past.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
crisp;1416546 said:
I've had no issues impressing MOST (even hard core... and in cases, MKIV owners themselves!) peoples with my 7M... and if the more "skeptical" people were to experience SOME of these wonderful MKIII machines in here... I'd dare say they'd be speechless! (...or GIGGLING and SCREAMING... Duane and company come to mind...) so MUCH of the bravado focused on JUST the MKIV is a bit misplaced (GREAT CARS, no mistake...) but truth is, even some MKII builds are truly awesome performers, have clean, aggressive or otherwise impressive build-up character, and ALL warrant a second look and the respect that is often missing by virtue of "unfamiliarity" by the general populace.

It is for THIS reason that we ALL have an obligation to SHARE in our appreciation for the SUPRA as a PLATFORM ALTOGETHER, promoting the qualities and varied faces of this particular machine as a common collective of enthusiasts, unified in a pursuit rather than divided in it's particularities of generational distinction.

Personally, I've had a couple of the III's and a II and ALL have been GREAT to work with and own, and hopefully someday I might play with a IV as well!

Love my Supra.

-crisp

:boink:

shaeff;1416794 said:
A dude I've known for several years (he's an idiot) works at my local Toyota dealer now. He asked how my car is coming along, and proceeds to explain to me why the 2jz is so awesome. I'm like "Dude, I've got a 7M."

He argued with me. "Supras come with the 2jz, or the 1jz for older ones like yours."

Even the mechanics behind him were laughing at him. I just shook my head and told him I'd see him around.

Vid of that would be priceless!!

7thousandpiecesMGTE;1418815 said:
I don't think you can call yourself a true Supra Enthusiast if you cannot appreciate the lineage of the model. The MKIV didn’t just fall out of the sky.... it was built on knowledge and experience from the previous generations. For example the oinker MK3 probably made them rethink how heavy the new model should or shouldn’t be and lead to advances like hollow carpet fibers and wing for weight reduction.

Further more it’s quite ignorant if you cannot appreciate and respect the fact that others have a passion for something different than you. I personally am not fond of the Mini but I am not going to go out of my way to take a shit on the hood of one....

I own a MK3 but get giddy when I spot ANY generation Supra, but that’s just me.

I test drove a new mkIV when they came out, keep in mind this is before big horsepower was made. I didn't see that it drove any better than my mkIII and it did have a rediculous looking wing. Happily drove home in my 89.

gixxer750;1441053 said:
Another MKIV owner here...

I also own an MKIII an an MKI supra, as well as a 2jz swapped mx83 cressida.

:boink: And a great guy who doesn't mind lending a hand.

My grandfather went through a ton of cars. He bought his first Toyota a 1st Gen. supra. He said it was the best car he ever owned.

To the OP I would say all supra owners are a minority. Have to agree with Mike that in every group you'll have a few bad apples.

One other thought is that the mania is in how far people can take their cars, whatever generation it may be.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Personally I've only met 2 mk4 owners and they might as well been ricers driving honda civics with fart cans, under chassis neons etc, Real winners.

I tried explaining what the advantages of opening up the exhaust, bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, 57 - 60 trim turbo....I got about a 2 minute blank stare which is awkward and a very long time when nothing is being said.

And me [long as we're throwing our 0.02 $ out there]
Love the looks of the mk4, and would give up a nut to have one,
But $4-5,000.00 and you can get a very nice 86-92 turbo supra.
Whenever I've looked..Its always been at least 15K+ for the mk4's.
Thats a bit much for the average person, For fun car at least.

MK3's are the "poor" mans race car/sports car/project/weekend cruiser.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
gtsfirefighter;1443913 said:
I think the MKI is the "real" Supra. ;)

I seriously want an MKII to play with.

If it says Supra on the rear, I want it. When I win the lottery I'll have one of each. :biglaugh:

theres a clean white MKII for sale off Lancaster in Ft Worth Ken. didnt see the price, but it looked very nice

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Supracentral;1423490 said:
Some of us do wave. And quite a lot of us were modifying MKIII's while a some of you were still in diapers. There's nothing productive about this little pity party your carrying on here. Get over it. There are assholes and nice guys in every group of car owners. Just ignore the assholes.
I don't know how people are in everybody else's area because there is only a hand full of us around but for the most part every modified supra from my area will wave, honk or nod regaurdless of generation.... or if you run across one you've never seen before you will get that blank stare of...."holy shit..that was another supra". I've even had people follow me to talk. I have met a few who were complete idiots though and you can spot them quite easily, regaurdless of what your into you will run across those people though.