Am I a minority?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Supracentral;1416143 said:
I've always felt the same way, however there seems to be a never ending supply of assholes who don't.

I truly believe the Fast & Furious is to blame for the bulk of it. It created a whole generation of dumbass kids who think that the only real Supra is the MKIV. Unfortunately it's also created a huge number of MKIII owners with a borderline inferiority complex. I'm not even going to get into the handful of MKII owners that get downright nasty about how much they hate other generations, especially the MKIV.

I've owned over a dozen Supras, mostly MKIII's and a couple of MKIV's. Both cars have their strengths and weaknesses. The Supra community is very small (look at how few of these cars there are compared to Mustangs, F-Bodies and Honda's...) but it's never been able to band together. Maybe this car just attracts a different kind of owner.

I agree with you 100%, although i must say the JSOC (Japan Supra Owners Club) get along a lot better than the Community here in the states. My Japanese pen pals always email me telling me about the meets they have every month. Theres no hate, everyone loves the Supra for what it is, that included MK1s - MK4's. I could never understand why we cant do the same.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
I agree about that one movie, everytime people hear I have a supra theyre eyes open wide and say WOW :D.... Wht year??? I say 90 mk3 Turbo.... And they just go ooh, ok in dissapoinment.... I will never forget when my manager told me, I wouldnt spend any time on your car unless it was the fast and the furious supra. Then added (a true sports car) Must admit kind of did hurt my feelings a bit... Months later I fully rebuilt my 7MGTE, wont stop there either :p....

KORYTOYORTA

Certified
Apr 10, 2008
OXNARD CA
I know cant we all just get along i hate it when i pass a mk4 going the opposite way and they dont even glance over at my mkiii like there emberrassed that they where even related to me. and if im ever a dick to a mk4 owner its because im freakin jealous not that I dont like my car but damn...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Sside;1415824 said:
So mk1 mk2 and mk3 are fake? :nono:

Moy;1415881 said:
Don't know if you're being serious, but either way, those are the types of MK4 owners that I hate with a passion because of their ignorance

LOL, he's totally kidding guys. :) He just picked up a MKIII!

I <3 all Supras, regardless of year. I'm not biased one bit.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I found that hearing a Supra makes people excited at first , and disappointed next when they are told that its a MKIII, and then 1jz or 2jz brings the excitement to an original level, i think most people favor the MKIV because of the jz engine vs. the 7M in US MKIII, not because of the body type. now, i know the whole argument about 7m vs jz , but "7M!!! no shit" is a hard act to pull on a general public.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Pernilongo;1416459 said:
I found that hearing a Supra makes people excited at first , and disappointed next when they are told that its a MKIII, and then 1jz or 2jz brings the excitement to an original level, i think most people favor the MKIV because of the jz engine vs. the 7M in US MKIII, not because of the body type. now, i know the whole argument about 7m vs jz , but "7M!!! no shit" is a hard act to pull on a general public.

Thing is the general public wont know the difference between the 7M and the jz's.... Unless they are tunning enthusiast. Even then those who do not follow the supra but have a clue will not really care whts under the hood but whts been done to it.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
I've had no issues impressing MOST (even hard core... and in cases, MKIV owners themselves!) peoples with my 7M... and if the more "skeptical" people were to experience SOME of these wonderful MKIII machines in here... I'd dare say they'd be speechless! (...or GIGGLING and SCREAMING... Duane and company come to mind...) so MUCH of the bravado focused on JUST the MKIV is a bit misplaced (GREAT CARS, no mistake...) but truth is, even some MKII builds are truly awesome performers, have clean, aggressive or otherwise impressive build-up character, and ALL warrant a second look and the respect that is often missing by virtue of "unfamiliarity" by the general populace.

It is for THIS reason that we ALL have an obligation to SHARE in our appreciation for the SUPRA as a PLATFORM ALTOGETHER, promoting the qualities and varied faces of this particular machine as a common collective of enthusiasts, unified in a pursuit rather than divided in it's particularities of generational distinction.

Personally, I've had a couple of the III's and a II and ALL have been GREAT to work with and own, and hopefully someday I might play with a IV as well!

Love my Supra.

-crisp

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Moy;1416523 said:
I think you'd get the "7M? No shit!" factor if you bought a MK4 shell and put a 7m in it :evil2:

LOL i think i can get away with lawn mower under the hood and get the wow factor with a MKIV.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Pernilongo;1416689 said:
LOL i think i can get away with lawn mower under the hood and get the wow factor with a MKIV.

cut the front wheel of a tricycle off and weld the tricycle to the front crossmember of the mk4, Have a winded monkey under the hood ripping cigs pedaling it. People will still be afraid to race it.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Sside;1416246 said:
I agree about that one movie, everytime people hear I have a supra theyre eyes open wide and say WOW :D.... Wht year??? I say 90 mk3 Turbo.... And they just go ooh, ok in dissapoinment.... I will never forget when my manager told me, I wouldnt spend any time on your car unless it was the fast and the furious supra. Then added (a true sports car) Must admit kind of did hurt my feelings a bit... Months later I fully rebuilt my 7MGTE, wont stop there either :p....

We've all had that bullshit happen at one time or another unfortunately. I bet even the NA mkiv guys get it.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
A dude I've known for several years (he's an idiot) works at my local Toyota dealer now. He asked how my car is coming along, and proceeds to explain to me why the 2jz is so awesome. I'm like "Dude, I've got a 7M."

He argued with me. "Supras come with the 2jz, or the 1jz for older ones like yours."

Even the mechanics behind him were laughing at him. I just shook my head and told him I'd see him around.

shaeff;1416794 said:
A dude I've known for several years (he's an idiot) works at my local Toyota dealer now. He asked how my car is coming along, and proceeds to explain to me why the 2jz is so awesome. I'm like "Dude, I've got a 7M."

He argued with me. "Supras come with the 2jz, or the 1jz for older ones like yours."

Even the mechanics behind him were laughing at him. I just shook my head and told him I'd see him around.

:3d_frown:

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
^ lol I agree.

People just saw the movie, did a quick google during the hype and when they don't have 2jz they don't care. Even if it was a 2jzge they wouldn't know the difference unless they asked if it was twin turbo...yo.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
LOL I was talking to some srt-4 owner a few days ago. And was telling me that Camry's had 2JZ's factory, that they werent inline though. lol

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
redmaro;1417366 said:
LOL I was talking to some srt-4 owner a few days ago. And was telling me that Camry's had 2JZ's factory, that they werent inline though. lol

Did you tell him neons have Srt4 engines factory?

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
I give compliments to all owners that are true enthusiasts. Doesnt matter what it is. I would never consider myself better than anyone else because of the car i have or what they have. It all interests me to see how different each car is done up. I love many hondas as well as miatas and s14's, mustangs, vettes. Does'nt matter to me. Only thing i hate is people who always fuck it up doing burnouts and dumb shit to fuck up a good time.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
shaeff;1416794 said:

I hate it when people argue with you about what u have, expecailly when they've got it all wrong..

i dont have a problem with diffrent model supras i think a supra is a supra. But that dosent mean that they were all created equal.. they were improved more and more as the years passed. I think they all are good cars but i still wouldnt trade my mk3..

I still see supramania as a place for mk3's as were as supraforums is more for mk4 owners. But thats maybe just me