AEM Tuning.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
im having a tough time with really rich decel. Where exactly should my afr's be on decel? atm im around 10....

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
empera;1375229 said:
im having a tough time with really rich decel. Where exactly should my afr's be on decel? atm im around 10....

Decel's should be pretty lean, the computer should be just about shutting the injectors off.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
dslocal;1374416 said:
well it is the stock ignitor(1jz). Which one would you recommend switching it out for? I also realized that when this was happening it was going quite rich like 9.6 to 10.0 and if I stay in it it will keep these afr's but if I back out to say like 90 percent my afr jumps back up to 11.3-11.6 any ideas? I am still learning here.
Thanks

It's misfiring because it's too rich. If you're running a full boost comp map try taking 5-10% out of those columns on your fuel map. Your throttle angle correction table might be off too.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
TheNewRed;1375259 said:
Decel's should be pretty lean, the computer should be just about shutting the injectors off.

DFCO works only if configured properly (defaults are not - may not activate at all and decays quickly when it does). If the cells he is in during decel are rich then it will run rich when DFCO is not active.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Fuel / Decel Fuel / Options and Fuel / Decel Fuel / Advanced Decel / Options

DFCO = Decel Fuel Cut Off - it's a parameter 0 for disabled 1 for enabled

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Decell cut caused huge issues here when I enabled it in my MoTeC, thin race style rings flutter badly on decell when there's 0 fuel burn, I used 1qt of Oil in 600Km's.

Just something to keep in mind.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
hmmm im just getting so much smoke on decal its ridiculous, afrs are around 10, any ideas IJ
?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I just ran mine way lean on decell vacuum, about 18:1 and it was fine.

Have a look where your engine runs at idle on the fuel map then set everything below that lean and see how it behaves.

You need a little fuel in there to burn off any oil and crap that's sucked in when you back off or you get a big ass puff of smoke when you open the throttle.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
hmmm yea i'll try to adjust the map accordingly, thanks ian, will let u know how that goes

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
empera;1375764 said:
lol why cant i seem to find it. is this on v1.19?
maybe im just retarded.

Yes 1.19 in AEM Pro, not Tuner.

By parameter I meant in the parameter window 'DFCO' would give you a result of 0 or 1.

See attached screenshot.

Fuel Off Above RPM - pick an RPM

Fuel Off Below Load - this should be 5-10kpa below where your engine idles at full operating temp but above the increased vacuum from a closed throttle decel condition (car rolling in gear 2500-3000rpms throttle closed)

Fuel Off Below TPS - pick a TPS position slightly above closed.

Fuel Off Coolant Min - 32F is probably on the low side. Didn't realize mine was that low, but it's never exhibited a problem.

To disable DFCO just set one of the parameters such that the condition will never be met - ie RPM to 8000.

Also as IJ suggested, I have my bottom (lowest) load row set to achieve approx 18:1 AFR above 1500rpm. That load breakpoint is below what my car idles at. The second row load breakpoint matches idle. That said, keep the 9 cells around idle at your desired idle afr so that if load does drop at idle (increase in vacuum) it doesn't stall.

Attachments

• dfco.jpg
    dfco.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 23

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
u know wat it was my parameters were locked and didnt have the DFCO listed. hehe

thanks man!

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
In the past I did my own tuning using a SAFC2 and AVC-R boost controller. Very easy to learn and use.

Got my AEM EMS 30-1130 a few weeks ago. Tuned at HPlogic for 18psi pump gas. I was still using the AVC-R for boost.

Last week AVC-R that I've been running for 10 years dies. Now I want AEM EMS to controll my boost.

I installed the MAC solenoid valve (exactly the same as the AEM solenoid) and ran the vacuum lines and verified they are correct. MAC valve is wired to PW2 (avail boost control) and HS#2 (avail +12v switched, 4.5A max). Correct so far?

All I want to do is set the boost exactly what the AVC-R was set at, 18psi. I read the follow link on tuning for boost:

http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,994.0.html

Now I'm lost. Can anyone help me through this. This link confuses the crap out of me.

Here are the options I have currently set up:

Boost W/G Output = check
Boost from Load = check
Boost W/G Invert = check
Boost W/G Frequency = 31Hz
Boost/Idle PW TPS = 10%
Boost Duty Maximum = 99.61%
Boost Duty Minimum = 0.00%
Fuel Cut Load = 343.35 kPa

p1378232_1.gif

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
be sure the hs#2 is set to turn on at 1000 rpm or whatever, and the other parameters are set so it will get power. you can just wire it to any switched 12v and not to the aem.

you can send me your map and i will set up the numbers. too much to post. also set map filter to 6 teeth. it is in setup/sensors/manifold presure sensor/ options map sensor. this will stabalize the map sensor reading so the selanoid can be reliably controlled.

my email is halsupramk3@bellsouth.net

i will send you my phone number so we can get this done correctly.

Last edited:

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
Halsupramk3;1378412 said:
be sure the hs#2 is set to turn on at 1000 rpm or whatever, and the other parameters are set so it will get power. you can just wire it to any switched 12v and not to the aem.

you can send me your map and i will set up the numbers. too much to post. also set map filter to 6 teeth. it is in setup/sensors/manifold presure sensor/ options map sensor. this will stabalize the map sensor reading so the selanoid can be reliably controlled.

my email is halsupamk3@bellsouth.net

i will send you my phone number so we can get this done correctly.

Hal,

Thanks for the respond. I sent you an email. Let me know if you got it. I had trouble with the email address you gave me. Thanks, Dennis

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i corrected the email address.
I believe the HS#2 are +12v sources that you turn on in the options/ configure outputs hs#2. it would provide 12v to the selanoid. DO not run 12v into this pin. at least i think that is correct as i have not used hs pins yet. the LS are switched ground that you would use to trip a relay etc with a ground connection from this pin in the aem.

you can not tune the boost selanoid with the P+I option on. you have to have info for what wg duty % provides what boost and calc the numbers to input there.

please email/provide what engine mods you have. what injectors, size turbo, what wastegate type and size, oem throttle body? , CR etc.

i highly suggest you use boost comp instead of a load map. boost comp is easy and works great. do you have any logs to send me?

survyor2

Jun 19, 2005
I'm back with another AEM EMS question. I took care of all my old issues and things are pretty good. Now, I have an idle issue. Every 3-4 days my idle will decide to change. I set the idle curve were I want it. All its good for awhile. Then all of a sudden the idle will jump up to 1500rpm. So I use the idle curve to bring it back down. All is good for 3-4 more days then it decides to switch back and now my idle is so low it won't run. So I adjust the idle back up and all is good for 3-4 more days. Repeat...

Ideas? Bad IAC?

Dennis

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
im still having an issue getting the car to start up constantly...
sometimes it will turn over quickly and then stumble and other times it cranks slow...
im thinking it might something with the timing? i synced the timing. this is kinda upsetting. anyone have ideas?