AEM Tuning.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but empera, your timing does look a bit on the mild side. That, and there is a giant indent in the timing map, looks like someone took a bite out of an apple. Personally, I would add a little more timing, but I would check with someone a little more experianced than I before you go about doing that.

See if you can log timing as well, I would love to see what it is doing in the log vs engine speed, engine load, o2 and throttle.

BTW, what is your full setup (A/R, cams and whatnot)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
hey man sorry i was pretty drunk last nite. let me know wat if u see anything on that other log that i should correct.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok so today i got everything back together and took the car out for a ride...changes made were, i now have a mechanical boost gauge, welded full 2.75" ic pipes and a Tial 50mm bov...heres my current map which was diff. from the one i posted earlier and 2 logs.
So now i have a new problem...boost is going as high as 20psi!? wtf? it should be runing off the wastegate spring pressure. i check the hose and looked fine. so wat could be causing this?
http://home.comcast.net/~emp00/supra2.rar

Last edited:

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
question guys, is the boost solenoid off the truboost the same as the boost solenoid used with the aem....also could i use a diff. boost solenoid with the truboost? please let me know if any of u do know.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
Hi guys,i had opted for the aem controlling my boost,as the hks evc vi i have fitted at the moment,just seems so bloody complicated,as yet its not set up yet,because ive encountered a problem,ryan from 2bar tuning here in the uk,came over a couple of weeks back,to fit my aem ems,the innovate wideband,and the solenoid etc,he was going to get the car running ok and safely,on the map sensor and ait,then i was to drive to the rolling rd,and map it at high boost and finalise everything,i was looking forward to around 400/450 bhp.

anyway,he had an awful lot of trouble,he got it started easily enough,but it was running pig rich at idle,and when he tried to lean it out,even a tiny bit,it just ran very lumpy,and even cut out,he then tried all sorts to get it running,we tried going back to maf,he checked the wiring etc,and it seemed fine,he then finally tested the injectors,and lo and behold,someone had fitted high impedance,the car has never seemed right,even with the standard ecu.

we checked the mkiiisupranet,and found a mod,which allows high imp to be used,basically,cutting all the 4 wires to the resistor pack,and soldering them all together,he then tried again,running back to map sensor,still wouldnt do the trick,finally back to maf,and crap !!!,we then ran out of time and daylight.

i now have low imp injectors fitted,and have re attached the four wires to the resistor pack,and i am awaiting ryan to have another try,coz although it starts,it wont pull away,even if steadily,it just tries to die !!!,another thing i heard,is that the ait sensor should be between the air filter and the turbo ??,whereas mine has been mounted into my hks 3000 pipe,just b4 the throttle body inlet.im not sure where the map sensor has been tapped into,but i assume the other end of the throttle body.i know there are a number of people well versed in the fitting of the aem on here,just wondering if any of you guys have some advice for me,to pass on to ryan,as this car has been pissing me off for a long time now,and i dont think ryan has done the mkiii install,only the mkiv supras,with gr8 success, cheers guys.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Terry steward;1213254 said:
Hi guys,i had opted for the aem controlling my boost,as the hks evc vi i have fitted at the moment,just seems so bloody complicated,as yet its not set up yet,because ive encountered a problem,ryan from 2bar tuning here in the uk,came over a couple of weeks back,to fit my aem ems,the innovate wideband,and the solenoid etc,he was going to get the car running ok and safely,on the map sensor and ait,then i was to drive to the rolling rd,and map it at high boost and finalise everything,i was looking forward to around 400/450 bhp.

anyway,he had an awful lot of trouble,he got it started easily enough,but it was running pig rich at idle,and when he tried to lean it out,even a tiny bit,it just ran very lumpy,and even cut out,he then tried all sorts to get it running,we tried going back to maf,he checked the wiring etc,and it seemed fine,he then finally tested the injectors,and lo and behold,someone had fitted high impedance,the car has never seemed right,even with the standard ecu.

we checked the mkiiisupranet,and found a mod,which allows high imp to be used,basically,cutting all the 4 wires to the resistor pack,and soldering them all together,he then tried again,running back to map sensor,still wouldnt do the trick,finally back to maf,and crap !!!,we then ran out of time and daylight.

i now have low imp injectors fitted,and have re attached the four wires to the resistor pack,and i am awaiting ryan to have another try,coz although it starts,it wont pull away,even if steadily,it just tries to die !!!,another thing i heard,is that the ait sensor should be between the air filter and the turbo ??,whereas mine has been mounted into my hks 3000 pipe,just b4 the throttle body inlet.im not sure where the map sensor has been tapped into,but i assume the other end of the throttle body.i know there are a number of people well versed in the fitting of the aem on here,just wondering if any of you guys have some advice for me,to pass on to ryan,as this car has been pissing me off for a long time now,and i dont think ryan has done the mkiii install,only the mkiv supras,with gr8 success, cheers guys.

kinda sounds like a similar problem that i had...your ait sensor is fine. Make sure ALL of your sensors are hooked up and working properly, including you coolant temp sensor. If the ecu reads the wrong temps and readings it might dump a bunch of fuel to compensate.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
empera;1213275 said:
kinda sounds like a similar problem that i had...your ait sensor is fine. Make sure ALL of your sensors are hooked up and working properly, including you coolant temp sensor. If the ecu reads the wrong temps and readings it might dump a bunch of fuel to compensate.

Cheers for that,we think the problem was down to the 550,s, being high impedance,and that a re map now there are low impedance injectors,should make all the difference,but with all the aggro i have had in the last year with this car,it has made me very skeptical,i cant believe thats going to be that,and im gonna finally have the elusive 400/450 bhp,done and dusted !!!

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
I need some help with my AEM.
the problem I am having is that for some reason I can't get the tps to configure itself. When I have my laptop hooked up to the aem it says the throttle is at 100% all of the time and for some reason even when I go to configure it (like it goes through the thing, make sure pedal is all the way up, push ok. make sure its fully depressed, push ok)
Even after I do that it will still say that it is 100% open?
Could my tps be bad? I am stumped. I was supposed to bring this to tune it on thursday so I would like to solve this.
Thanks

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
check the TPS wiring, if something isnt connected properly it could read 100%
when mine is disconnect it will read that.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
ok thanks for the quick response, but what would cause it to read fine before and not now?
I'll double check its pluged in though

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
question for the gurus car is having a tough time starting, it starts after a few tries...its really rough, i set the timing, i sync'd it and still having some issues...sometimes it'll start right up other times it'll crank and make wierd noises....any ideas?

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
Ok I am having some problems with bad breakup all over the place in any kind of positive boost from 1 pound to 12 pounds which is wastegate.
I was first blaming it on spark blowout but now it seems more like it could be something else. I am going to try replacing my coils with some higher output ones and see if that helps and possibly even try a HKS DLI? Any input on that?
Just kinda looking for a place to start, I am seeing an even 11.3 to 11.6 for my afr while this is happening to. Kinda stumped

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
well it is the stock ignitor(1jz). Which one would you recommend switching it out for? I also realized that when this was happening it was going quite rich like 9.6 to 10.0 and if I stay in it it will keep these afr's but if I back out to say like 90 percent my afr jumps back up to 11.3-11.6 any ideas? I am still learning here.
Thanks

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
The AEM CDI system operating in waste spark mode and connected to all 6 coils, or the 2JZ-GE igniter with a set of GE waste fire coils would work.

Normally, however, the O2 readings tend to lean out on misfires due to the unburned air in the exhaust. You sure the fuel maps are at least somewhat close?