AEM Tuning.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
suprawalt;1042321 said:
i was just curious.can you pull codes with the aem ems?thanks walter

You generally don't "pull codes" with a standalone, but they all have some sort of rudimentary diagnostic function. The difference is that you can see what's going on directly on your laptop.

Some may have a check engine light function to alert you of a problem or fault, but you access all the information via the same means that you tune it (serial or USB connection).

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm in the middle of having an experienced tuner tune my AEM. He has tried so many things and can't get rid of the misfire symtems at light throttle. It's happening anywhere from idle to about 3k RPM, but goes away when you give it more gas.

It looks like this was covered on the AEM forum a while back.http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,8345.0.html.
So I was wondering if there was any one answer to this problem?
Thanks.

Matt

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
MRSUPRA;1063540 said:
I'm in the middle of having an experienced tuner tune my AEM. He has tried so many things and can't get rid of the misfire symtems at light throttle. It's happening anywhere from idle to about 3k RPM, but goes away when you give it more gas.

It looks like this was covered on the AEM forum a while back.http://forum.aempower.com/forum/index.php/topic,8345.0.html.
So I was wondering if there was any one answer to this problem?
Thanks.

Matt

Pretty much...if it happens at light load, it's not gonna be an ignition problem. In my experience, they don't really disappear when you add load, they get worse.

If you have a solid tach reading, it's not likely the crank trigger either. If I had to guess...it's a tuning deal. People chasing some air/fuel ratio, instead of just tuning the dang thing. LOL

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
MRSUPRA;1064119 said:
What is going on?? I started a new thread and it was moved here. But it's not here.

We already have an AEM tuning thread...and several other AEM-related threads, so I moved it to the most relevant one.

It's right above where you posted...or at least for me it is. :D Let me try approving it and see if it shows up. I didn't think I had to do that if I merged it. I'm sorry for any confusion.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Just an update on my light load/low rpm misfire issues. I had X-man give me some helpful info. It seems that my issues are very common on some 7m's with AEM. I adjusted my crank and cam sensitivity and it definantly helped, although not completly yet.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
For the USB cables.. I have a belkin, and it seems to not work but the prolific cheap 10$ brand one works same with some other PLxxx brand one... so cheaper brand FTW the belkin was well over 60$

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
so where should my timing be at full boost 13psi ( i think it spiked to that ), 5400rpm (terribly high), afr at 10.8:1 (needs to be a bit leaner). ATM the ign. timing is showing 16.40 right there.
I should really read up on this but just trying to see what you guys say.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
sounds fine to me... sounds like you could have more timing. I know my map is way more timing at 13 PSI i think at 15 PSI i'm in the 22 Degree range at 4000 RPM.

but i'm not sure if 22 is a good or bad thing, I'm waiting for John Reed to tune my car on the 9th of oct.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
im gonna hafta get someone to look at my logs and tell me wat i can do to fix my lag issue

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
empera;1138501 said:
im gonna hafta get someone to look at my logs and tell me wat i can do to fix my lag issue

Post up the logs and your map in a zipped folder. I should still have the software on my laptop.

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
Hi folks,i have found the thread i needed,im not very computer literate,sorry in advance.

anyway, i have an aem,and as my rebuilt engine,is nearly run in,i was looking to have it fitted and mapped,but was told by someone i approached,that there has been a number of problems with the aem losing its timing map,and causing damage to people,s engine,s as a result., has anyone heard of such problems ?, cheers, terry

Terry steward

Oct 18, 2007
benfleet essex
figgie;1140091 said:
Terry

the issue is that reported problems really reported problems or user induced problems?

Kind of hard to filter the noise of which is which.

oh i see,well,it was just a tuner had,had these problems,and was reluctant to deal with the job,because of his experiences with the aem,and i was just wondering if anyone on the forum,had experienced the same,or heard of anyone having such trouble,im not sure if the manufacturers would volunteer or admit there has been such problems. it was just that the states is a bigger country than the uk,and the chances of getting some info or feedback, would be greater on this rather than the uk forum,there is probably a lot more people running the aem your side of the pond than my side.

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
manfacture? Just look at the AEMpower forums... plenty of help there. Again remember. The more of one product the more likely there will be more issues reported as it is available to more people.