AEM Tuning.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Didn't see a thread directly involved with tuning. I'll be the first to say that I'm not a professional and i shouldn't be attempting to tune, especially under boost. But i have a small understanding of whats going on. So my question is, the car is pretty much tuned to idle and its able to rev pretty smoothly but i am wondering how can i make it drivable enough to take to a shop to get tuned? Should i use the auto map feature or should i just use the follow ecu option to add or remove fuel at certain points?

Anyway if you have any useful information or if i should have posted this in a diff. thread/forums please let me know.

Thanks
-emp.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
You can post pretty much whatever you want here regarding standalone ECUs. :)

As to your question...short of finding a shop that has a map for a setup that's identical to yours (and is willing to part with it), IMO, you would be best off to tune it as much as you can -- driveability-wise -- before you take it to a dyno.

Just do it the old-fashioned way...drive it around and add or subtract fuel from the cells you're in at a given time until you find the rich and lean drop off points(stumbles from being too rich or too lean). For part-throttle and tip-in throttle, just go up from the lean stumble until you get smooth and crisp throttle.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
a bit of advice.

The cells should be smooth from one cell to the next. If you look at your fuel inj in a 3d graph, it should be smooth. No jagged teeth/edges.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
^^ yea i remember reading the same but thanks for the tip.

Anyone using the EMS/boost solenoid combo to control boost? I have a AC Delco boost solenoid and will be trying to use it to control boost. Except to me it looks a bit confusing. But then again i havent read up much on the topic. If anything should i just got back to the TruBoost? Actually what i want to do is start with spring pressure and go from there.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
I'd say skip the EMS boost control unless you can't fit tires that hook under your car and have to use VSS based boost.

As for the driveability tuning, just take it one step at a time. If it revs clean sitting still, it shouldn't take too much work to make it driveable. Automapping can be more confusing than the old fashioned way.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ah...ems boost control is that bad huh...might hafta go back to the good ol' truboost which i did love heh

it does rev pretty clean so i might just cruise and tune the old fashion way...

Thanks for the tip brian.

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
hey i was just wondering for those using the aem ems, the communication cable that connects from the engine management system to the laptop mine doesnt fit into my laptop is there an adapter or something i can buy to have the cable connect to my laptop i know it sounds stupid but i tried it on another laptop and it was the same situation???

rcboricua07

7M powered
May 20, 2007
Massachusetts
empera;1007219 said:
or u can get a PCMCIA serial card :) which works for me and i have my usb ports free.

wat exactly is that? and how does it work..also i heard that you may sometimes lose information when using an adapter i believe i was told sometimes it doesnt transfer over idk

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Hey i have a Tial 44mm wastegate and AC Delco/GM Boost solenoid, how should i hook up the vacuum lines?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok new problem :-/
So the car was idling a bit lean and i tried to correct that so i started playing with the warm up enrichment table and the fuel map table. After i tried to start the car it would start and idle for a few seconds, go lean and stall out. Fuel pressure would go up and then drop to 0, seems like the fuel pump was cutting off. I then connected the fuel pump directly to 12 volts and worked. I tried starting the car this way. Idled fine again. So what could be causing this problem?

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
On the box for the 87-88 Supra 30-1110 pin 7C or ls#1 is the fuel pump relay enable and 21C or ls#11 is for the circuit opening relay/ fuel pump control. Make sure that none of the parameters have been changed on these low side outputs. Go to Options and then Configure outputs and make sure that they are active. This is assuming that you have not changed any of the factory wiring. Mine I use the circuit opening relay and this triggers a relay I have in the trunk where my battery is to run bigger feed wires to my Aeromotive pump.

Sean

empera;1009856 said:
ok new problem :-/
So the car was idling a bit lean and i tried to correct that so i started playing with the warm up enrichment table and the fuel map table. After i tried to start the car it would start and idle for a few seconds, go lean and stall out. Fuel pressure would go up and then drop to 0, seems like the fuel pump was cutting off. I then connected the fuel pump directly to 12 volts and worked. I tried starting the car this way. Idled fine again. So what could be causing this problem?

husaman

Nov 13, 2007
Bangkok
rcboricua07;1007640 said:
wat exactly is that? and how does it work..also i heard that you may sometimes lose information when using an adapter i believe i was told sometimes it doesnt transfer over idk

I have an AEM and found that neither PCMCIA card and or adaptor DO NOT work ....I had to go out an buy an OLDER style laptop with the 2 row 9 pin Serial port .....thats the only way i could get my ECU to connect with the Laptop...funnt thing was when I went to the used computer shop to ask for a laptop with this style port ...they said ..."oh ..you must be tuning a car" Seems to be common and VERY common with AEMs. All works fine now ...cost me a new/OLD laptop

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
It's the adapters...

Some USB adapters work with some ECUs and some don't. I would contact AEM and ask them which adapters have been tested to work.

OTOH, you can buy a suitable used laptop with a serial port for 100-200 bucks. I bought one a while back (for the dyno) from Craig's list. Dynojet says "No USB adapters" right in the manual.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i logged a quick drive around to see how everything is behaving but its not logging my engine load?? any ideas why this might happen?

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
turbo joe;1018921 said:
It's the adapters...

Some USB adapters work with some ECUs and some don't. I would contact AEM and ask them which adapters have been tested to work.

OTOH, you can buy a suitable used laptop with a serial port for 100-200 bucks. I bought one a while back (for the dyno) from Craig's list. Dynojet says "No USB adapters" right in the manual.

I got my USB to work with AEM, but then I get memory dump and fatal errors when connected sometimes. Never had a problem with the older stuff. Do you suggest any specific laptop? ie: Dell, hp, or mac?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
empera;1031981 said:
i logged a quick drive around to see how everything is behaving but its not logging my engine load?? any ideas why this might happen?

Anyone??

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
empera;1036275 said:

As long as you are unlocking the parameter box and making sure engine load is in the parameter box/section you unlock it should log. I go under ignition parameters and unlock this just because it is pretty much setup for parameters you would want to watch anyways. I had a problem once that it wouldn't log anything but it just wouldn't start logging when I pressed F6 or sometimes it wouldn't stop logging again when F6 was pressed. I rebooted my laptop and it was fine.

Sean