AEM Tuning.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
The AEM EMS sometimes takes a bit to "boot up". Most found it's best to key on, wait for the fuel pump prime, then try to start.

After that check your crank inject tables, maybe add or remove fuel and timing at cranking.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
yea i do that all the time, turn key, wait and crank...still get that stumble and crap

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok problem solve using a 0 gauge cable helped out and did some tweaks on the aem.

another question would be...my coolant temperature reading isnt stable...it kinda spikes up really quick. Is there a way to get the reading more stable? my fan doesnt like this heh.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
Hey guys a few questions.

Basically I gathered as many maps as I could prior to getting my AEM and compiled a personal map after tons and tons and tons of reading and research.

So here are the questions:
How do I set the timing table?
I have heard to make runs on the dyno and continue adding timing in the peak torque region until you stop gaining power, is this a good way, and then how do you set the rest of the table? Do I just keep adding timing till I see knock and then back it off a touch?
Along with this I have attached a log file. If someone can please look and see if the knock spikes I get are real knock or maybe exhaust noise or something? They are very temperary and only to as high as 2.2volts but I don't know what real knock looks like lol.

Next is start up. The car seems to start up and stumble a bit upon start up. AF is enriched but until I blip the throttle it never comes up to the desired warn-up RPM. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Seth

Attachments

• 11_06_09 Boost Comp tuning_001.stf
    885 KB · Views: 9

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Bump for this thread since I'm going to be looking at purchacing one of these in the spring.

Do these control the automatics o.k.?
Is there l a problem with these and stock ignitors?
Are other people having starting issues with the AEM?
Will these retard timing if knock is detected?
Thanks.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
suprahero;1477941 said:
Bump for this thread since I'm going to be looking at purchacing one of these in the spring.

Do these control the automatics o.k.?
Is there l a problem with these and stock ignitors?
Are other people having starting issues with the AEM?
Will these retard timing if knock is detected?
Thanks.

I can't answer you auto question.

They run stock ignitors just fine, I just prefer to run late model LS1 coils. This does away with the ignitor, since the LS1 coils each have their own ignitor. I also think the LS1 coils have a better spark, plus they are way more affordable.

No starting issues at all.

Yes, it will retard timing if knock is detected.

Keep in mind though that all my experiences are with the new series 2 box. On a 2jz.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i think the cps can give the aem some problems at about 2800 to 3200 rpm and cause the stumble. I set my cps to a specific spot and the stumble went away. set it so at TDC the pointer is about 1/4 inch before the top right G1 prong and then set the timing with the aem according to the instructions. with the aem you dont use the cps to set timing but the aem program.

i have been told auto control is good but have not done that yet. you do have to cut and wire in a wire to a aem pin for something. not difficult.

i have replaced the stock ignitior with a 3 chanel iginitor and removed the multiplex crap. this is sooo much better than stock. this got rid of the stumble and the timing is better. now the aem controls the timing and not the multilplex ignitor. i have some of these ignitors and harness for the aem to replace the oem ignitior, if you want to PM about them. you have to make some ignition phasing number changes and a few other program changes. because of the aem having 5 channels it is still waste spark. i also have the 2jzge coils on my car.

i also wired in sequential injection for inj 4,5,6. Soooo much better. this will make the 7 m run more like a 2jz. i had to do some fuel map tuning because the injectors fire once per compression and not twice. better control of fuel.

starting issues is in the tune and not aem. you do need to turn on the key and wait 2 seconds then start as this will require less effort of the starter. when my car is cold it cranks right up and when hot it will turnover just alittle more.

the aem does have a learning curve tho.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hal, if I decide to go this route, I will definately send you a pm.
I haven't made up my mind what route I want to go yet. I've read good things about the Suprastick for controlling the automatic transmissions as well. I just dont' know what tranny I want as of yet. I may end up rebuilding my r154 and trying it at least once........if it breaks, then I'll go with something else. Thanks again., Jay

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprahero;1478758 said:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Hal, if I decide to go this route, I will definately send you a pm.
I haven't made up my mind what route I want to go yet. I've read good things about the Suprastick for controlling the automatic transmissions as well. I just dont' know what tranny I want as of yet. I may end up rebuilding my r154 and trying it at least once........if it breaks, then I'll go with something else. Thanks again., Jay

SupraStick = Megasquirt

PCS = MoTeC ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Are you saying you have to have the Megasquirt to make the SS work Ian? I thought it was an independent computer and only worked for the tranny. I guess it's time to reread that page on the SS.