Aaron's turbo & maft pro upgrades

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Aaron,
you might want to go over to the FullThrottleSpeed site to get more info on how to best set the unit up. Most of the folks overthere have been using the unit for a while, and have the experience. From what I have read and seen on that site, the AFR Tracking works really well for them. Also feel free to send me a log of your BIN settings (include the number of the software version you are running on the pro), aswell as a log of your runs. I'll look at them and see if anything jumps out that shouldn't. Bob from FTS is away this week, but he says he will check in from time to time. He can definitely help you with the settings. Congrats on getting the car on the road!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
polobai said:
Aaron, what did you do with all your injector resistor packs and such that go on both sides of the engine bay by the strut towers? I like the clean look and want to do that with mine, but dont we need all that stuff? I was planning on moving them around and "hiding" them, but if they can be removed altogether, that would be even better.

I bought high impedance 550cc injectors so a resistor pack is not needed. I just made a little jumper harness with .250" male spade terminals to bypass the resistor pack and I got a rubber cap to fit over the end of the plug and the jumper. The fuel pump resistor is hidden down between the abs unit and the fender.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supralover2000 said:
Aaron,
you might want to go over to the FullThrottleSpeed site to get more info on how to best set the unit up. Most of the folks overthere have been using the unit for a while, and have the experience. From what I have read and seen on that site, the AFR Tracking works really well for them. Also feel free to send me a log of your BIN settings (include the number of the software version you are running on the pro), aswell as a log of your runs. I'll look at them and see if anything jumps out that shouldn't. Bob from FTS is away this week, but he says he will check in from time to time. He can definitely help you with the settings. Congrats on getting the car on the road!

I was a little bit frusterated when I posted that last night but I did some more reading and I realized I only set the 2000R setting for afr tracking! No wonder it was not functioning. I also have not plugged in my laptop yet but sometime this week I will. I do want to say that I am very impressed with the Maft Pro, I think it is a awesome unit. The small issues I am having are just from lack of experience tuning with it but that just takes time to learn.

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Hey Aaron,
I got your PM a few days ago and I sent you a reply. When you get a chance, please read it and respond. We have been tuning jojo's car (sp67 bolt-on, delphi 580cc) and it looks like we will have to adjust the fuel pressure a little. So far, everything that we have done with the MAFTPRO and the LC1 wideband combo has yeilded good results. And those of you with the Maftpro that are not using the Tunerpro software, you are really missing out on a cool combo and an easier way of tuning. With the realtime logging and feedback that we get using Tunerpro, we are able to tune on the fly and see results instantly.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supralover2000 said:
Hey Aaron,
I got your PM a few days ago and I sent you a reply. When you get a chance, please read it and respond. We have been tuning jojo's car (sp67 bolt-on, delphi 580cc) and it looks like we will have to adjust the fuel pressure a little. So far, everything that we have done with the MAFTPRO and the LC1 wideband combo has yeilded good results. And those of you with the Maftpro that are not using the Tunerpro software, you are really missing out on a cool combo and an easier way of tuning. With the realtime logging and feedback that we get using Tunerpro, we are able to tune on the fly and see results instantly.

I got the pm, but we have been busy working on customers cars and I have not been able to work on my own. Maybe by the end of this week.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I would like to share some info with you, I have the Maft Pro installed, runs great, still working some bugs, A/F correction from the wideband is sweet. I will post up tuning info when i get it all straight, similar setup to yours 62-1, but i have more fuel. Still working on throttle response and fine tuning boost control.

- JE PISTONS, .020 OVER
- FILE FITTED JE RINGS
- SHOT PEENED RODS
- OVERHAULED BLOCK AND OIL PUMP
- BALANCED
- FULLY PORTED AND POLISHED HEAD
- NEW VALVE SEATS
- 1MM O/S STAINLESS VALVES (ENGNBLDR)
- STOCK CAMS
- ALL ARP HARDWARE EXCEPT MAINS
- UNORTHODOX RACING UNDERDRIVE PULLEY SET
- TURBONETICS 62-1 TURBO
- HKS LONG RUNNER T-4 MANIFOLD
- TURBONETICS EVOLUTION WASTEGATE
- FULL 3" EXHAUST
- HKS SUPER DRAGGER CATBACK
- MAFT PRO W/SPEED DENSITY/ BOOST CONTROL.....BYE BYE AFM
- DUAL WALBRO FUEL PUMPS W 12 VOLT MOD
- -8 FUEL LINES
- 680CC INJECTORS
- AEROMOTIVE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR
- DYNOJET WIDEBAND COMMANDER
- TIAL 60MM BOV
- SPEARCO INTERCOOLER
- 2.5 INTERCOOLER PIPES
- BUILT AUTO TRANS W/ RAYBESTOS BLUE PLATE CLUTCHES, EXTRA CLUTCHES
- 3200 STALL CONVERTER
- IMPORT PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS MODIFIED VALVE BODY
- DUAL FLEX A LITE ELECTRIC FANS
- RELOCATED OPTIMA BATTERY
- GREDDY EGT GAUGE
- BFG DRAG RADIALS
- 3.90 GEARS
- GREDDY CATCH CAN

Attachments

• Engine 028.jpg
    Engine 028.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 67

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
tookwik4u89 said:
I would like to share some info with you, I have the Maft Pro installed, runs great, still working some bugs, A/F correction from the wideband is sweet. I will post up tuning info when i get it all straight, similar setup to yours 62-1, but i have more fuel. Still working on throttle response and fine tuning boost control.

That is very cool! We need to talk :icon_wink
I was thinking I might need bigger injectors but I have it way leaned out on the maft (about -10% total) and it can still hit 10.5/1 at 20psi, and I am still on the stock fpr and a walbro. I would love to see what works for you on the response settings. I have been messing with that myself. The only issue I have is that the numbers are hard to understand. If you set it at -.50 for a particular setting, it is then -.50 what? Percent? AFR? Volts? And is that where it starts or stops? The instructions don't really clarify what each setting's units are in.
I have also had a little trouble getting the software working on my car pc. I know there is a learning curve so I am just reading and learning as I go. I got the boost control dialed in so nice now. As long as the rpm is 4k or more it spools to 17psi pretty damn fast. I'm waiting to go higher on the dyno with some race gas, but it hit 20psi a few times and the only problem was the rev limiter! The first time I drove it after the boost was dialed I went fulll throttle and it started to miss and I was like wtf? Then I remembered I now have a 89+ ecu and the miss was the rev limiter at 6200! :biglaugh: It hits the rev limiter so fast now I have to relearn the sound and feel of the engine when it is time to shift. I cant always keep an eye on the tach now because the road comes up much faster.

Last edited:

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
tookwik4u89 said:

You may want to get a larger radius 90' if you must have one on your upper intake pipe!

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Allan_MA70 said:
You may want to get a larger radius 90' if you must have one on your upper intake pipe!
It stays til FFI goes on, just temporary, not having flow problems, but thanks, i dont like it either, but i dont want it rubbing on turbo until I convert to FFI.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
bigaaron said:
That is very cool! We need to talk :icon_wink
I was thinking I might need bigger injectors but I have it way leaned out on the maft (about -10% total) and it can still hit 10.5/1 at 20psi, and I am still on the stock fpr and a walbro. I would love to see what works for you on the response settings. I have been messing with that myself. The only issue I have is that the numbers are hard to understand. If you set it at -.50 for a particular setting, it is then -.50 what? Percent? AFR? Volts? And is that where it starts or stops? The instructions don't really clarify what each setting's units are in.
I have also had a little trouble getting the software working on my car pc. I know there is a learning curve so I am just reading and learning as I go. I got the boost control dialed in so nice now. As long as the rpm is 4k or more it spools to 17psi pretty damn fast. I'm waiting to go higher on the dyno with some race gas, but it hit 20psi a few times and the only problem was the rev limiter! The first time I drove it after the boost was dialed I went fulll throttle and it started to miss and I was like wtf? Then I remembered I now have a 89+ ecu and the miss was the rev limiter at 6200! :biglaugh: It hits the rev limiter so fast now I have to relearn the sound and feel of the engine when it is time to shift. I cant always keep an eye on the tach now because the road comes up much faster.
Nothing seems to change response much, MAP/TPS enrich, Map tps decay, tb size, tried it all maxed both ways, read that mid load settings at 800 and 1200 rpms will effect so going to try that. -15% mainscale @32 psi fuel right now got me pretty close, it was big rich b4. It feels worst at light throttle from a stop. had some surge so working on that too.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
UPDATE

I had codes 21, 24 and 51 from the beginning.

I knew the 21 was from me using the 89+ harness and ecu with no o2 sensor and the zt-2 simulated output to the ecu. I read through old posts and found that a 1k ohm resistor plugged into the black/red and red/blue pins of the o2 connector would solve the code problem, and it did work fine. 1/4 or 1/2 watt should work fine since the current through the resistor will be very low.

The 24 was from the 2.5v simulated air temp signal from the maft pro. The ecu just does not like it from some reason. I did some more reading and found that I needed to use a 2.2k ohm resistor plugged into E2 and THA (brown to light green) in the air flow meter connector, and cut the brown wire from the maft pro. That got rid of the code 24 just fine. I measured the voltage at the THA pin and it is now about 1.75v so I may just get a potentiometer and figure out exactly what resistance will yield 2.5v since having the fixed voltage set half way in the 0-5v scale would probably be a good thing.

The code 51 is a little more complicated. I don't believe it is from the tps in this case. The tps is new and I verified it is working and adjusted correctly. I believe the 51 is from the air conditioning wiring being different in the early 89engine harness and the 88 engine harness. The harness looks like it is plug and play but it is not. There are wires for the ac water temp missing in the late 89 harness. I also found out the hard way that the headlight wiring is different. If you plug the early 89 harness into the 88 body connectors the 12v output from the integration relay to the headlight relay gets shorted to ground through the engine harness and kills a transistor inside the integration relay. That took about a half hour of troubleshooting and a tsrm to figure out. :cry: There are several wires that need to be moved to different locations on the connectors. I'll get it all sorted out soon.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
bigaaron said:
UPDATE

The 24 was from the 2.5v simulated air temp signal from the maft pro. The ecu just does not like it from some reason. I did some more reading and found that I needed to use a 2.2k ohm resistor plugged into E2 and THA (brown to light green) in the air flow meter connector, and cut the brown wire from the maft pro. That got rid of the code 24 just fine. I measured the voltage at the THA pin and it is now about 1.75v so I may just get a potentiometer and figure out exactly what resistance will yield 2.5v since having the fixed voltage set half way in the 0-5v scale would probably be a good thing.

sounds like you are getting everything sorted!

just curious tho, how does the mpro air temp output differ from the maft output? i never had a code w the maft. not sure that i will w/ the mpro or not since it hasnt been fired up yet.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
dbsupra90 said:
sounds like you are getting everything sorted!

just curious tho, how does the mpro air temp output differ from the maft output? i never had a code w the maft. not sure that i will w/ the mpro or not since it hasnt been fired up yet.

I guess the maft pro has a short period of time at startup when it is initializing and there is no 2.5v output, and the ecu looks for the THA signal at startup and throws a code. I think a simple resistor voltage devider would be better then the 2.2k resistor. Something like this:

p227615_1.jpg

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
bigaaron said:
I guess the maft pro has a short period of time at startup when it is initializing and there is no 2.5v output, and the ecu looks for the THA signal at startup and throws a code. I think a simple resistor voltage devider would be better then the 2.2k resistor. Something like this:

p228014_1.jpg
Id like to know how that works out, i got 24 now. Also bad heat soak Memorial wkend...100 out and drove it alot. All maft pro is on hold now until i cure bov problems. will move IAT out of 3000 pipe in the meantime.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
What do you know, I was pretty darn close. I feel a lot more confident in this method then the 2.2k resistor to ground. This is a better way to do it because you are selecting a fixed voltage point using a regulated 5v, rather then running the ecu THA input through a resistor to ground which will basically leave it floating. The ecu is looking for a specific input voltage from the afm, and my way gives it that. It works great and does not store a code.

p228469_1.jpg