Aaron's turbo & maft pro upgrades

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's coming together finally. The 50 trim ct26 was pretty much maxed out at 370whp, I could have possibly got a little more out of it but the pressure had to be way too high to make power. The new setup is going to be a Turbonetics 62-1 turbo and a maft pro. I just got my maft pro from Dr Jones today, thanks Dr. J! The turbo compressor housing is pretty big so I needed 1.25" of spacers to clear the manifold. I ordered some t4 flanges off of ebay so I could mock up my manifold and turbo on a old engine. The Turbonetics 7m manifold must have been originally designed with a smaller turbo in mind but it looks like it will flow much better then stock and I like cast manifolds for the durability. I ordered my oil line kit from Jon at MDC Motorsports. (Jon is a real cool guy to talk to and order parts from btw.) He is going to make the oil lines custom length for my setup, but he has all the adapters for the block and turbo in a kit with the lines. I need a v-band setup for the turbo still, but I don't have a good source for those, anyone have any recommendations? There is a Zeitronics wideband and 550cc injectors in the car already so that combined with the maft pro in speed density mode should be the hot setup. I would like to see 425whp at 16psi, but we will see soon. A few other items to go in will be a brand new early-'89 engine wiring harness and a '89+ ecu.

Last edited:

splitzhail89

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Jan 11, 2006
Nampa, Id
Sounds like it is going to be a good setup, and on the parts, with 16psi, you should have well over your goal of 425 horse. Keep up the good work.
-Adam

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
splitzhail89 said:
Sounds like it is going to be a good setup, and on the parts, with 16psi, you should have well over your goal of 425 horse. Keep up the good work.
-Adam

I figure if I keep my expectations low I will he happily surprised rather then disappointed. :icon_bigg
Otherwise as far as the engine is concerned, head is stock with nice rebuild and I got Ross pistons with stock rods. Everything was fully balanced and blueprinted. ARP everything too. The goal is good useable horsepower at medium boost for the street. I am not going to push it to the limit on the dyno. These were my build pics from a while back so you can see what went into the engine. I have about 20k miles on it now.

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Aaron, it's lookin good... I love seein all these builds goin on! Its SO f'n nice to see you guys takin care of these awesome cars! Congrats bro!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
good luck Aaron on the rebuild. I was expecting about 260 on my dyno and got 317 so your right about keeping your expectations low.
Thanks again for the intercooler. It looks and works great. 100% satisfied.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
suprahero said:
good luck Aaron on the rebuild. I was expecting about 260 on my dyno and got 317 so your right about keeping your expectations low.
Thanks again for the intercooler. It looks and works great. 100% satisfied.

Thank you for all the comments guys! I edited in that the engine build pics are from a while back, just to show what went into the engine.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
You'll need to be well tuned to run 425rwhp on only 16Psi, I will be very impressed if the MAFT-pro gets you there, keep us updated :bigthumb:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
UPDATE!

I had to order a bunch of parts but I amlost have everything now! I got a oil line kit from MDC motorsports, a 3" bend for my downpipe, and a v-band and flange. I went today to get a 45* adaptor to make the oil return hose fit a little better. The turbo has a big compressor on it so it would not go on without a spacer to clear the cast Turbonetics manifold.
I ordered three 3/8" t4 flanges and welded them together to make a 1.25" spacer.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Allan_MA70 said:
so why ya trying to sell me JE??????

I'm not all that happy with my Ross pistons. I got them several years ago, before I knew much about the difference between the brands of forged pistons. I have built several engines since with JE and they were a lot quieter and the pistons were less expensive. I am not trying to sell you JE. Buy JE from HPF!

Last edited:

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
I can't wait to see how this setup performs! I happen to have an almost identical set up sitting here collecting dust (no place to put it all together over the winter...and now buying house soon so all spending is on hold). I have the same manifold and I too had to have a 1 inch spacer made so my PT61 could clear the runners. The next issue is gonna be finding an adapter for to mount the HKS 50mm racegate. Let me know how the oil lines work out for ya (I need some too).

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supralover2000 said:
I can't wait to see how this setup performs! I happen to have an almost identical set up sitting here collecting dust (no place to put it all together over the winter...and now buying house soon so all spending is on hold). I have the same manifold and I too had to have a 1 inch spacer made so my PT61 could clear the runners. The next issue is gonna be finding an adapter for to mount the HKS 50mm racegate. Let me know how the oil lines work out for ya (I need some too).

haha, I know very well how just buying a house can be a LOT of work, and then comes the remodeling, i'm getting tired and broke just thinking about it!

The adaptor you mentioned, do you mean for the downpipe? I noticed that the bolts with the wastegate are a little too long but otherwise it has the right pattern for the manifold.

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Well, my HkS wastegate has the square flange http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=764 (this is mine)
and as you know, the manifold was designed for the HKS standard wasgate which has the rectangular flange. I saw an adapter flange that HKS sells but they want something like $100+ for the damn thing. I've already spent tons on the getting the block prepped for the .040 overbore JE's, along with rebiulding the head and getting all new pumps and stuff. then not to mention the MAFTPRO and the LC1 wideband that are sitting here too. So unfortunately the Supra is gonna have to wait until June (for its new garage) when I can get her ready. For now, I would love to know and hear your testimony on how the whole setup is working out for ya. I'd like to see if my calculations were correct. Ironically, I too am planning for mid 400whp at somewhere between 16-18 psi. Having looked at every compressor map available, and knowing that I want to have realiable power/performance, I decide on this set up. I want a setup that won't rely solely on race fuel in order to be mean on the street, but will accept it happily if I decide to pump some in and demand more! Please keep me posted on your progress and be generous with the pics? Good luck with everything.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
supralover2000 said:
Well, my HkS wastegate has the square flange http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=764 (this is mine)
and as you know, the manifold was designed for the HKS standard wasgate which has the rectangular flange. I saw an adapter flange that HKS sells but they want something like $100+ for the damn thing. I've already spent tons on the getting the block prepped for the .040 overbore JE's, along with rebiulding the head and getting all new pumps and stuff. then not to mention the MAFTPRO and the LC1 wideband that are sitting here too. So unfortunately the Supra is gonna have to wait until June (for its new garage) when I can get her ready. For now, I would love to know and hear your testimony on how the whole setup is working out for ya. I'd like to see if my calculations were correct. Ironically, I too am planning for mid 400whp at somewhere between 16-18 psi. Having looked at every compressor map available, and knowing that I want to have realiable power/performance, I decide on this set up. I want a setup that won't rely solely on race fuel in order to be mean on the street, but will accept it happily if I decide to pump some in and demand more! Please keep me posted on your progress and be generous with the pics? Good luck with everything.

It's nice to hear when someone else has similar goals and ideas because kinda validates your reasoning and your decision making process.
So it seems like I am on the right track.

My manifold has the rectangular flange, and my wastegate (which is supposed to be an exact copy of a HKS racing wg) fits it. The racing wg has the rectangular flange, but the SS racing wg has square.