Aaron's turbo & maft pro upgrades

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
souprat said:
looking great aaron. how did the mani clear the stock oil filter housing, did you move you filter because of clearance problems or because you wanted to? how much room do you figure will be between the ic pipes and the turbo? yur using the stock intake mani right? what ic are you gonna run? man the wireing harness look sweet.

Thanks! The manifold clears the stock oil filter housing fine but I moved the filter because I am also installing a bigger oil cooler, and a remote filter that will not make me use every cuss word in the book while changing my oil! I also am using a remote oil thermostat so the cooler is bypassed when the engine oil is cold. I am installing a oil catch can in the passenger fender tomorrow.
Here's where it's at right now:

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It's Alive! We put some time into it this week and got it done today. It fired right up with all the basic settings on the maft pro. I have a code for egr but I expected that. I only drove it a little today so I would be sure it would make it to the big TORC car show in Long Beach tomorrow. I am really happy how everything has turned out. I ended up making my own downpipe and modifying the dump tube that came with my wastegate to clear the downpipe. Here are some pics in no particular order, it's late and I have to be up at 7am to go to the show. Ginish is actually buffing my car in the garage right now and it's 12:30 pm lol. Jose really helped me getting it done for the show so thanks Jose! We are putting an upgraded intercooler in his car but we ran out of time this week.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Drove it about 75 miles today still on the basic recommended settings. It is running great. I need to check into the ecu code and the idle is a little high but that is a given before it is tuned correctly. I already realize HOW GOOD SPEED DENSITY REALLY IS! My bov sounds freakin cool now I have the big turbo on there, and the best thing is it never wants to stall!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
johnathan1 said:
what is speed density?

MAP sensor and air temp sensor instead of airflow meter. It measures
[M]anifold [A]bsolute [P]ressure and temperature instead of using a hot wire or karman vortex method to figure out how much air is going into the engine. With the new setup if I was to pop off a ic hose or if I had a vacuum leak the car would still run. It will not stall from the bov either ;)

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
My "IJ style" update :)

I just got home from a little freeway drive and let me tell you when the wastegate opens it sounds real mean! Before the wastegate opens the spool is about 3 times louder then the ct26 was and the bov sounds completely different too. It's hauling some ass too, but it is still way rich. Boost comes on at about 3700rpm and full boost by 4000rpm. Under 3000 is pretty good, feels more powerful then before when not on boost. Tune is way off at anything more then about 20% throttle. My vf is around 2v when cruising around but it goes straight to 0 and <10/1 afr as soon as I give it some gas and changing the main scale adjustment does nothing. The afr tracking is not doing anything to help. I have it set to 11.5/1, I turned the min rpm and min map down, and I have it set to 17% lean and 20% rich but it does not seem to do anything. I am still reading up and learning it but the problem is that the instructions don't give any real world examples or what to change in certain situations, and there are so many posts in all the maft threads that it takes sorting through 100 posts to get one bit of info I may need. I have not spent all that much time on it yet but I am sure it will get there at some point.

Last edited:

polobai

Apr 1, 2005
Orlampa
Aaron, what did you do with all your injector resistor packs and such that go on both sides of the engine bay by the strut towers? I like the clean look and want to do that with mine, but dont we need all that stuff? I was planning on moving them around and "hiding" them, but if they can be removed altogether, that would be even better.