Aaron's turbo & maft pro upgrades

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Aaron: Your first post mentions the 50 trim ct26 topped out at 370hp?, I think I have the same turbo and I was wondering at what psi did it run out of poop??

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Ok, I finally got started on the wiring for the project. I figured that if I was gonna put on a nice new turbo and a maft pro I might as well fix the other part of the car that really needs it.......the engine wiring harness. When I got the car the harness was in real bad shape but I replaced many of the connectors and loomed/taped the whole harness again. It has been good for several years now but my tps wiring now has a loose connection somewhere in the harness so what more reason do I need to change it out. While I am changing out the harness I figure now is the best time to upgrade to a 89+ ecu. So I ordered a early-89 harness so I get the body connectors for my 88 car, but the ecu connectors for the 89+ ecu. I am hardwiring the maft pro into the new engine harness. I will also be hardwiring the zt-2 wideband. I really don't want a big messy vpc-style adaptor harness hanging off of the ecu, that just adds twice as many possible bad connectors in the future.

The old turbo is coming off the engine in the next few days so I will take some more pics then.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Don't let the Mrs. catch you doing this step:
p202592_1.jpg

The VHT paint needs to be cured to stick properly.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
bigaaron said:
Don't let the Mrs. catch you doing this step:
p202615_1.jpg

The VHT paint needs to be cured to stick properly.
I did this step with my compressor housing and some heat shields. Yea everyone in my house was high as a kite for a few hours. Looks good, Aaron! I like the idea of hardwiring the PRO and ZT-2 into the harness, it'll be super clean!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I give myself the award for the cleanest maft pro and zt-2 wiring job on a brand new engine harness. :naughty:
I also get the award for the most hours of sleep lost while wiring up the cleanest wiring job I was previously self awarded winner of. :icon_conf
Damn, I better go to sleep.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
strange things are afoot at the circle k.
i have the exact hakko soldering iron and fluke 77 meter. good equipment!

harness looks great!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
dbsupra90 said:
strange things are afoot at the circle k.
i have the exact hakko soldering iron and fluke 77 meter. good equipment!

Nice! Close, but I got the Fluke 76 with capacitance, freq counter and 40 ohm scale. :icon_razz haha JK, the Fluke 77 is a nice meter that will live longer then we will. LOL

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
bigaaron said:
Nice! Close, but I got the Fluke 76 with capacitance, freq counter and 40 ohm scale. :icon_razz haha JK, the Fluke 77 is a nice meter that will live longer then we will. LOL

yeah i really like my 77. its the series II w/ the big screen.
the meter and iron are by no means "hobby" equipment. are you a tech of any sorts?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
dbsupra90 said:
yeah i really like my 77. its the series II w/ the big screen.
the meter and iron are by no means "hobby" equipment. are you a tech of any sorts?

Used to be a lead installer for the Good Guys and worked at an electronics store selling test equipment for years. Now I use it mostly to do engine harnesses for all the 1j, 7m and 2j swaps we do. Plus I still do some rc car and plane stuff and other electronics projects.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Well I got a little more done on my maft pro install, it is almost ready to start as soon as I get the turbo stuff all finished up. Here is what I did for the air temp sensor and the map sensor vacuum line fitting:

Polishing my shaft was no problem. :naughty:
You can see I finally got the real HKS yellow spring for the wastegate we sell. I'm going with 10psi spring. The ones that come with our wastegate are supposed to be of so-so reliability and the shaft should be polished with very very fine grit sand paper. I ended up spinning it with a drill.

Turbo manifold is on with my 7/16 stud upgrade. I didn't think about the heat when I origionally was going to run my oil line through the manifold runners. My MDC oil like kit is great other then my mistake on the length I gave John so I just had a longer oil feed hose made and I put high temp covering on it to keep it from getting hot from the exhaust.

I decided a external oil filter and oil cooler would be a good idea too.

Made a cheezy little bracket for the oil dip stick.

My favorive part of the new engine harness!!! The plastic wire cover thingamabob!

Last edited:

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
looking great aaron. how did the mani clear the stock oil filter housing, did you move you filter because of clearance problems or because you wanted to? how much room do you figure will be between the ic pipes and the turbo? yur using the stock intake mani right? what ic are you gonna run? man the wireing harness look sweet.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
looks good!

you might consider running aircraft nuts on the mani studs tho. otherwise you might have a problem w/ them loosening up.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Those won't loosen db. They have the pinch in the end that makes them ovaled so that they apply pressure and stay tight.