5.0 supra its a comin

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Put whatever you want, just do it right and dont hack it. A clean install will make or break the swap. Some have flamed me for the Chevy tranny and Ford 9" rear swap, but its all good. Its cool to be different.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
PynkEye said:
Lol that engine is sick ugly, anyways..the 5.0 litre etc..writting is sideways...real nice lol Stock 7m will beat ur ass silly..they will probably think you have a 7m with blownheadgasket. Dude it will cost you way less to rebuilt a engine...with all the info on this site, and will be bulletproof.ç

Anways...u seem to be stuck on that stupid bigger is bettermentality..so ..its another mk3 loss..might as well scrap the car

the writing is sideways and it looks sick. Very good reasons there. Look at the wiriting on an n/a valve cover please. How old are you 16, maybe 18? Own a few of these cars "done right" making over 300 hp on stock internals and tell me how reliable they are. Im not saying the 7m is a POS(Im building another), but it is nowhere near gods gift to engineering.

Last edited:

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Good luck with the project. Sounds like you just want to do something different.

Nothing wrong with that at all. If your end goal is to have a fast Supra you will get more bang for your buck with the built 7M or 2JZ. The fabrication and wiring for your idea will probably be a nightmare and then folks will still ask "what year probe is that".

Best of luck.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
at least my post is staying on the 1st page ha ha. well its like this i am not planning a straight swap the engine is going to be built and boosted when the smoke clears we shall see. keep the feed back coming cause the more i am told no the more i am going to do

Bigdough666

Picture Me Rollin
Apr 4, 2005
Corpus Christi, TX
Slow66 said:
Put whatever you want, just do it right and dont hack it. A clean install will make or break the swap. Some have flamed me for the Chevy tranny and Ford 9" rear swap, but its all good. Its cool to be different.

This guy has the right attitude.

Do you guys realize that the 5.0 has the 2nd largest aftermarket of any engine? You could mod a 5.0 for WAY less than you could a 7M, 1JZ, 2JZ, or whatever. I say do it, then let the car do the talkin later. Goodluck with the swap, make sure to take pics along the way.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
Bigdough666 said:
This guy has the right attitude.

Do you guys realize that the 5.0 has the 2nd largest aftermarket of any engine? You could mod a 5.0 for WAY less than you could a 7M, 1JZ, 2JZ, or whatever. I say do it, then let the car do the talkin later. Goodluck with the swap, make sure to take pics along the way.

Thanks man i will take pics of all the parts and will dyno and have times from a local 1/8 track we have here. the hardest part of this is ordering the bellhouse so i can use the w58 with the 302

Ne0z

Apr 2, 2005
Burnsville, Minnesota, United States
okay... umm.. im hoping this will be a track only car cause making the A/C or Powersteering stay working is going to own you, your also off-setting the supra's allready front heavy weight ratio... the supra was built to be a GT car, Grand Touring... not made for drag racing, otherwise they'd make it weigh under 3400lb's

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I dont know if I'd trust a w58 with the power that a 302 has/can have. And for my indiviual input, as long as its clean and actually works I'd say your good.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
Ne0z said:
okay... umm.. im hoping this will be a track only car cause making the A/C or Powersteering stay working is going to own you, your also off-setting the supra's allready front heavy weight ratio... the supra was built to be a GT car, Grand Touring... not made for drag racing, otherwise they'd make it weigh under 3400lb's

nope. You can easily make ps work. You can just buy the lines and fittings for both the car and the pump you use. Fragola, earls, and many other companies sell both lines and fittings. As far as a/c, same situation, lines can be made. The sbc car on sds's site retained both. As far as weight distro. SBF is one of the lightest iron v8s, with aluminum heads the weight difference between it and a 7m is marginal at most. Plus the weight is further back as you have 2 less cyls in front of the front wheel line.

mcpcola

7M's = Peoples Champ
Jul 4, 2005
Greater Gulf Coast
Ne0z said:

how many 87 cars do you think have no PS or AC cause of their age i image its more than you care to count but i will have both working

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Most of the neigh sayers are riding around in 500 dollar rusted out 3rd blown head gasket pos MK3s. The folks talking about “pos” domestic engine, don’t even wash their car. This is, unfortunately, the de facto for the MK3 crowd. The same with all the kiddies talking about build your 7M or why not go 2JZ. This thread is a prime example of why I don’t come to this forum much anymore. The sub 15 second crowd puts their worthless two cents in. The two cents obviously having come from their ass.

Have fun with the 5.0 swap. It will be much cheaper and easier to build for power. I hope all goes well for you.

abustiffy

Apr 13, 2005
in a house
outofstep said:
Most of the neigh sayers are riding around in 500 dollar rusted out 3rd blown head gasket pos MK3s. The folks talking about “pos” domestic engine, don’t even wash their car. This is, unfortunately, the de facto for the MK3 crowd. The same with all the kiddies talking about build your 7M or why not go 2JZ. This thread is a prime example of why I don’t come to this forum much anymore. The sub 15 second crowd puts their worthless two cents in. The two cents obviously having come from their ass.

Have fun with the 5.0 swap. It will be much cheaper and easier to build for power. I hope all goes well for you.

Hi, I like kittens and long walks on the beach, wanna make out?

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
mcpcola do what ever you feel like. It's your time and money. Don't take anyone here seriously cause of their negative input. People here love their Supras like I do but I would not hold you of your desire to be different. More power to you. Tell us later of the outcome of your project with a possitive attitude.

Best of luck.

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
my .02 cents (which is coming from my ass I guess???) Unless you're rebuilding the w58, I don't think it's gonna hold the power from a turbo 5.0 engine. Do some research and find out how much it actually can hold reliably, and then figure out how much power you're expecting to get from that engine. The last thing you want is to get the w58 all fabbed in there and tear it to shreds on your first run.

ShowLetter

21_12_sb.JPG

I don't like the idea of a v8 supra, but you'll get everybody's respect (including mine) when you get it done and lay down some big power.