1981 KP61 Starlet 2JZGTE build

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
LOL Cool!! I think there will be a ton more interest now that there is a motor in the picture. I think before the motor was in it was just a "Im putting a turbo on my cavalier" dream thread that few people took seriously.LOL

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Firewall V2.0 LOL The anticipated 4 inch recess I did was not enough...unless I wanted the waterpump to double as a bumper. This is form fitting to the motor with clearances for servicing the engine while in the car. Albeit very stealth fighterish I am pretty happy with the results. Its all steel with a layer of fiberglas mat on the inside and ultimately the outside as well to sandwich the steel for a bit of sound deadening as well as sealing the inside from water. As you can see from the pics, I built a frame to actually bee the structure and then just sheeted it. the frame is the actual rigidity of the firewall, the sheeting is just there to seal up the bay, hence the sheeting being spot welded in.

p1506038_1.jpg

p1506038_2.jpg

Oh and excuse the mess of papers in the floor. I learned a long time ago that the easiest way to make templates for sheet metal work is to use metal flashing/duct tape because it sticks where you put it, it will only bend the way sheet metal will bend, and it sticks to your sheet metal to make it easy to trace your templates. Only downside is the huge mess of backing paper, lol

Last edited:

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
I am not going to built the cage until the interior is back in so I can assess the least intrusive way to run the pipes. I am however going to make a set up weld in subframe connectors that will be an H shape that double as a trans mount. That alone should make the car rigid enough but Im still caging it so I dont die.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Motor was installed, wired , and ran for a few short seconds. Pulled it again and Im now scrubbing it and powdercoating the valve covers and all that stuff as well as painting the engine bay. Getting close!

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Engine bay will remain black. Seems to be a trend and I am lazy so..... plus its easy to touch up.

p1508469_1.jpg

p1508469_2.jpg

p1508469_3.jpg

Oh yeah and that oversprayed up mastercylinder......Its going in the nearest dumpster, I am putting a new one in so the plastic will be clear again and I can actually read the level.

Last edited:

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Thanks for all the support guys!! Also a HUGE THANK YOU to aphxero who got me out of a mental block on the wiring and even took time out of his day to help me figure it out. Awesome guy!

Car should be in the body shop for paint within 2 weeks, after that its just a rear end swap, finish subframe reinforcement, and ultimately a cage after the interior is mocked back up to see how to run the pipes as to make them the least intrusive. I will be driving this car not just racing it so I want it to be comfortable. When I was 20 it was cool to have jungle gym in my car....not too much anymore.