Zankoku Coilovers - Info/Specs

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hey all,

I'm looking for info on Zankoku Coilovers. I picked up a 91 Hardtop Turbo (Build thread coming soon...) and it's got these coilovers. They are SUPER low as is and need to be raised up so I don't rip off the whole damn bumper. I scrape on my driveway - which is pretty flat - even at 45 degrees and about 0.25 mph. It's ridiculous. The lip has already been damaged and I've driven a total of about 15 miles on the thing.

Anyways... I just got new suspension on my other mk3 and I'm trying to decide which setup to keep. My other car has Koni sport shocks and Tanabe Springs. The ride feels a little better on the Zankoku car, but I'm not sure how much of that is the shocks/springs or just the chassis.

So... Who knows anything about these things? Is there a page somewhere with info? I can't find anything. Are they rebuildable? I hear spring rate is 10-14k.

Thanks!

-Andy

IMG_20160804_202940236_HDR.jpgIMG_20160804_202923321.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
SupraDrew;2079338 said:
Watch this video and you should be able to adjust the height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozz7HLIhaEI

Thanks, that's a great tutorial on adjustment. However, I'm more after the build specs of the Zankoku system in particular.

That video shows about an inch of exposed case height... I probably have 5-8 inches right now and I can't imagine there's much left to adjust out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Build specs as far as what?

Standard they came with 14/10 but you could order different spring rates if you wanted. I had them on my old car but I ordered 16/12.

They were pretty decent for being a small name low production coil over.

I'd pick coil overs over spring and shock anyway personally.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
hvyman;2079364 said:
Build specs as far as what?

Standard they came with 14/10 but you could order different spring rates if you wanted. I had them on my old car but I ordered 16/12.

They were pretty decent for being a small name low production coil over.

I'd pick coil overs over spring and shock anyway personally.

I guess my main concern is shock replacement. Are the shock cores/cartridges generally replaceable? The coilovers are less appealing if the whole thing is toast once a shock is blown.