z31 300zx or supra mk 3

blackhyb

Apr 28, 2008
ct
ok guys im new to this forum and i have some extra money and im trying to decide on what to build what ever i do it will be full built. iknow this forum will be bias towards supras but im hoping for some honest replies thanks guys

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Red7m;1012300 said:
Mk3 defianlty without a question. Now if the question was a z32 or a mk3 that is a little harder of a question.

If it was a Z32 I would take the Z, my brother had a 95 Twin Turbo with BPU and it was a blast to drive. However, the mk3 is the superior car over the Z31 without question.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Yeah if it were a Z32 it would be a tough call.

The twin turbo is a ballsy car that pulls like a mule from idle on up and handles great, with a tendency towards oversteer, which is almost unheard of in most cars, which I happen to love.

Years ago we had one in the body shop I worked at and I drove it all the time (we had a lien on it for unpaid bill). We finally ended up selling it like a year later and I hated to see it go.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
z31's are known to catch on fire + are quite slow :( for instance, I beat a modded z31 twin turbo in a 1996 b16a2 civic coupe

and I dislike the z32 just a tad bit less than the z31s.... super cramped engine bay FTL

2_TonedMKIII

Rarety
Jul 28, 2006
Orlando, Fl
Yes I'm bias towards the mkiii however I do like the z31 and if you're talking full build unfortunatly the z's are a little cheaper to mod thanks to the drift/240sx craze. Both have their own cool swaps; mkiii- 1j, 2j and theres always the 7m, whereas the z31 I don't really care for the stock motor however they have potential with swaps like the sr and rb motors including the RS200 z31 that japan got which has a RB20DETT.

To me they both have potential however I have only owned a mkiii.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
z32 only if you like toasting your engine harness....
z31 if you want second bet

supra if you want the best.

ps. this is a dumb question for a SUPRA forum.... over on the z forums you'd get the opposite responses

Phantom

Dec 9, 2005
Los Angeles
It's up to you on selecting the car you want to fully built.

A few things to consider is how supportive are the aftermarket industry to each car (which one has more parts supports out there), what issues does each one have (I don't know what issues Z31 has but the MA70 does have the issue of BHG on the 7M engines, which is not a problem since you plan on doing a full build so you can solve this issue with a metal head gasket on a rebuilt 7M or swap to a 1JZ or 2JZ), and what do you plan to do with the car (show, race, daily driver, a little of each). The MA70 is a heavy car at over 3000lbs. Don't know how the Z31 is compared to that.

Is there a reason why you are not considering a Z32? Do you prefer the Z31 body style instead a Z32? The S13 and S14 are also good cars and has plenty of aftermarket support, but a lot of people has one (cookie-cutter). If you don't mind having a car that many people also owns, these 240SX cars are nice too.

If you do decide on going MA70, this forum is a very valuable resource with members and venders to provide you advice and products.

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
depends on what you want wana go fast for cheap go mkiii with a 1jz single setup lookin at about 5-6grand for around 450hp-700ish reliable depending on who you know or what skills you have or 300z 8-9grand to accomplish about the same and it wont be as reliable or easy to work on but it does look a little better
i go with an mkiii and not cause i own one

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
I had a z32 and yes it is a huge pain to work on but imo very comparable and equal with the supe, I'd do either again