xx° retard with 2-step or anti-lag?

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
I was curious what standard degrees of ign. retard people use for their 2-step or anti-lag.

I've been experimenting with 3000rpms 4° and got 2psi (GT4088).
Then 4000rpms 9° and got 1psi.

I don't know if I should try larger ign. retard or what. :)

So what's the idea here.

Thanks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Can't remember exactly how much Brent I just kept dialling it in till it couldn't rev then pulled it back 5 degrees and that was as good as it got.

Can't say I was overly impressed then using Launch Control the car would run out of vacuum for the brakes and be impossible to hold on the converter.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
IJ.;1293762 said:
Think I got up around there when it wouldn't rev at all ;)

Do you run an EGT gauge?

No.
Just a wideband.

I never held the 2-step for more than 5 seconds or so.

At this power level now, I believe I'll go stand-alone and log my EGT's as well.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
With the MoTeC I could program it if the EGT went above a defined limit it would shut AL off.

It's a horrible thing to do to the Turbo and components so I think a standalone would be a wise move.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
just that it kills turbos... :) I want some videos though if your going to thrash on it!!! Might as well have proof...

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Brent, since you're not auto, i would give 15-20* a try and see what happens. Adding some more fuel there wouldnt hurt either.

Ian, most auto drag guys advance their timing a lot to get into boost and "on the converter". Completely opposite of the clutch guys :)

Edit - I think the reason why you saw less boost with more retard was the difference in RPM giving you different total timing (ie timing could have been 25* at 3000 rpm minus the 4* = 21* total...and at 4000 rpm it could have been 32* minus the 9* and been 23* total...just a for instance) Keep messing with timing but do it at the same rpm so you can see if its really working...I'd like to see how well it works out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Bryan: I found mine would pull the highest G's on launch just stalling it on the brake so I just settled on that, 3.5:1 Diff and 1820 Kg's it was never going to launch hard with a 3 Litre engine short of spraying it :)

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Well I didn't get a chance to test out that theory, Brian.
It makes perfect sense that with raised RPM my timing could be higher so that x% total ign. retard is less than with lower RPM and timing.

I need to replace my faulty starter motor one weekend, then try again.
(Tired of waiting 10mins before the starter kicks over.)

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
IJ.;1294406 said:
Adding some 6.0L 10.4:1 comp V8 torque should help though ;)
It sure should! You're gonna need a tighter converter with all that torque! ;) I got a turbo v8 build on my hands at the moment too...should have a thread going in the next couple weeks..

MK3Brent;1294411 said:
Well I didn't get a chance to test out that theory, Brian.
It makes perfect sense that with raised RPM my timing could be higher so that x% total ign. retard is less than with lower RPM and timing.

I need to replace my faulty starter motor one weekend, then try again.
(Tired of waiting 10mins before the starter kicks over.)

Sure thing Brent, keep me in the loop when you try again.

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
Yeah let us know how that V8 build progresses. I'M SERIOUS! I'm considering doing one myself in the future...with the original car it came with...hmmm...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Slow66;1294669 said:
It sure should! You're gonna need a tighter converter with all that torque! ;) I got a turbo v8 build on my hands at the moment too...should have a thread going in the next couple weeks..

Sure thing Brent, keep me in the loop when you try again.

Swapped my 1600 in already Bryan ;)