wtf valve cover wont stop leaking!!!

supraian

Jan 2, 2006
san diego
i've replaced the gaskets twice this thing is still leaking!! always the passenger side. i have the hex bolts, i dont think i overtightend at all do you think i should losen them up? any way valve covers could be warped?

supraian

Jan 2, 2006
san diego
theres a lot of oil in there, someone was telling me that this shouldn't be a problem and my rings may be bad. guess its time for a compression check. any other causes of excess blow by?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
supraian said:
theres a lot of oil in there, someone was telling me that this shouldn't be a problem and my rings may be bad. guess its time for a compression check. any other causes of excess blow by?

bad rings.....

supraian

Jan 2, 2006
san diego
dry test:

wet

motor was not warmed up though dont know if that will effect the results, but the numbers did jump a bit after the oil :-(

guess i traded my bhg for bad rings...this car will be the death of me

-Maniac-

They call me Nate.
Aug 25, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Sorry to have to say it, but these cars are pushing the age barrier here. Mine is an 87, so that's 20 years old. Bad rings and valve guides come with the territory. Sorry. But if you like doing engine work, an engine rebuild can make your baby run like new.... just a thought.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Small bead of "the right stuff" layed around the inside of the rubber gaskets and covers will stop most leaks.

Also put short beads along the edge of the front cam caps where they meet the head. (The inside 90 corners, there are 4 of them.) This is a common leak point. You should have layed 4 short beads of this stuff there when you put the front caps on too.... If not, pull the caps, clean up everything, and then put down the beads. If your careful, you might not need to pull the timing cover, sprokets etc. (Don't smash the cam seals or you'll have a leak there after you solve your cam cover leaks.)

Did a great job on one motor, and then was almost out of the "right stuff" on this one, and it's leaking now.. DAMN. Should have bought another can of sealant, but now I get to do it again.. (Sound familliar?)