wrong part or wrong size?

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
I bought a oil feed line block fitting from hahn racecraft. i ordered a 12x1.25 to -4an fitting. I got the fitting today and tryed to put it on, but the feed line side was too big for the feed line to screw onto. so now i am wondering if -4an is not the size of my feedline or if they sent me the wrong part. How can i measure the an? and while im at it what does an stand for.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
- sizes are 1/16" increments

-10 = 5/8's of an inch or 10/16's

AN I believe is Army/Navy but I could be wrong on this!
<just to confirm> ;)

The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification stemming from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN. However, some documents say the name is really Air Force/Navy.

AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 x 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size.

AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-metal seal. They are similar to other 37° flared fittings, such as JIC fittings, which is their industrial variant. The two are interchangeable in theory, though this is typically not recommended due to the exacting specifications and demands of the aerospace industry. The differences between them relate to thread class (how tight a fit the threads are) and the metals used.

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
so sorry im not good with measurements, what would -4an be? and the wierd part of this is i talked to the guy who i got the lines from and he said he pretty positvie it is -4an and i called the place that i bought the parts and they confirm that they gave me a -4 an. so im stumped on which one is the problem part.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
i have never seen a 12x1.25 to -4 fitting. they are usually 12x1.25 to -6, then you use a -6 to -4 reducer.

actually, i think suprasport waay back in the day had one, but it wasnt earl's or anything like that. was some odd ball thing. and even then, i might be dreaming about that haha.

either way, what im trying to say is most likely thats what you are gonna have to use what you have, then get the -6 to -4 reducer.

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
The fitting we sell for the block is an Earl's 991945. Thats a 12mm x 1.25 pitch that goes to a -6an. I have a -4 to -6 adapter if you need that...I have them both in stock
lmk

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Hahn racecraft says they have a -4an, but that is what i bought and it turns out to not be -4 so im not sure if they actually have it.

SupraSportJack said:
The fitting we sell for the block is an Earl's 991945. Thats a 12mm x 1.25 pitch that goes to a -6an. I have a -4 to -6 adapter if you need that...I have them both in stock
lmk

How much for the reducer? im pretty positive this is a -6an that i have. maybe i will just give this back to them and get my money back and buy both of those from you, so how much for each. and shipping?

89turboguy

May 26, 2006
Denver, Colorado
my line is a -4 an, or at least thats what im told. i got an email from hahn today and they said that they dont even carry a -6an, but only a -4an. so now im just confused. they said they couldnt have sent me anything but a-4 an becasue they dont have any other size. but when i measured the piece, it was well over a 1/4 inch but not quite a 1/2 inch.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
89turboguy said:
my line is a -4 an, or at least thats what im told. i got an email from hahn today and they said that they dont even carry a -6an, but only a -4an. so now im just confused. they said they couldnt have sent me anything but a-4 an becasue they dont have any other size. but when i measured the piece, it was well over a 1/4 inch but not quite a 1/2 inch.

that's odd. the 12x1.25 is actually a carb fitting which is why it is -6. -4 isnt used for fuel generally.

can you take a pic of the fitting? is it an earl's fitting, aluminum fitting, or steel fitting?

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
The -4 is a steel fitting. Earl's is actually for the Deltori card but it is the correct size for the sups

I will see how many I have of the steel ones, I saw them when I was getting ready for silv

dbsupra90 said:
that's odd. the 12x1.25 is actually a carb fitting which is why it is -6. -4 isnt used for fuel generally.

can you take a pic of the fitting? is it an earl's fitting, aluminum fitting, or steel fitting?

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
Uh...The hahn racecraft fitting IS a 12x1.25 to -4an. I got mine for the 88T t4 feed through them. the same fitting is used on DSM's for feed lines.

It IS the correct fitting, so it sounds like your line may be -3an