Won't Stay Running

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
wiseco7mgt;1340320 said:
Sounds like your afm to me, check connection to that and do the test as suggested in the tsrm.

The AFM has nothing to do with idle. You could unplug it, and it would still idle fine.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
rayall01;1340400 said:
The AFM has nothing to do with idle. You could unplug it, and it would still idle fine.

it will stay idling, but it wont idle properly, and will die sometimes. if the AFM is dirty, plug messed up, or that lil stupid gasket in the plug is missing, it could cause the car to die out.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
kotu100;1340413 said:
it will stay idling, but it wont idle properly, and will die sometimes. if the AFM is dirty, plug messed up, or that lil stupid gasket in the plug is missing, it could cause the car to die out.

Gotta bust you on that. It had to be something else contributing to it. The TCCS doesn't even use AFM input at idle, IIRC, and you can even drive the car with it malfunctioning or disconnected.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
jetjock;1340600 said:
^ On that note (and because I'm bored today) here's a little demonstration of the TCCS in action. Engine was stone cold and every rpm change is me manipulating the throttle. If your car won't do this there's something wrong with it...

http://tinyurl.com/mmsw3n

But, there's no AFM....LOL :D

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
jetjock;1340672 said:
^ Looks close but isn't. They don't reach.

Dub: Yeah, lots of stuff missing ;)

Rayall: The ECU does use the AFM at idle but doesn't for starting.

How come the car idled in the vid then?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I meant it normally uses it. In the vid it's operating in fail safe mode. When the AFM signal is missing the ECU looks at the status of STA and IDL, combines those with the NE signal, and falls back on two fail safe maps to start and run the engine. Under those conditions the main limitation is no operation over 3K rpm and, in this example, no boost of course. More about fail safe here:

http://www.mkiiitech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=843

Edit: Apologies to Carter for the thread jack. My guess is a faulty ISC system or an induction leak...

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
OK, in the strictest sense, I'm wrong, but overall I'm right about it not being the cause of his issue. His AFM is not the cause of his problem.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yes, of course. I never said you were wrong. In fact you're right. The vid was mainly directed at those who are always claiming the engine won't start or run with the AFM unplugged. You and I know better. Here's hoping everyone does now...as long as they don't have a 7MGE of course.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
jetjock;1340768 said:
Yes, of course. I never said you were wrong. In fact you're right. The vid was mainly directed at those who are always claiming the engine won't start or run with the AFM unplugged. You and I know better. Here's hoping everyone does now...as long as they don't have a 7MGE of course.

I was just admitting my mistake about it not bring used for idle at all. I see that I was wrong about that particular tidbit of info. Not saying anything about your correction. No harm, no foul.