wiring woes

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Ok so I started my 7mgte swap, got the engine in and then took it to our local "supra"(2jz) shop to get it wired up (which have done great work for me before) after it sitting there for 3 months they said the wiring was finished but the cps was throwing the timing off(they jumped it off at the shop and tried to turn over). So I trailered it home finally got the cps to what I think it right and charged the battery and now no power anywhere. I did notice a small plug under the intake manifold that was unplugged. What else could cause me to be getting no power?

Last edited:

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Like I said I Charged the battery, but no I did check all the fuses I could under the hood and the cables and they were good. No power anywhere not even interior lights. I'm just lost I guess because of it having power at the shop(they did have to jump it off though) but no power here.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You're going too have too double check shit with a voltmeter...99% of the time the problem is battery connection related...battery ground...terminals...positive cable...so on....sorry but you're actually gonna have too do some testing and let us know what you find so we can help you pinpoint the problem...

I can almost guarentee it's confined too the area of the battery so test everything that is directly related too it.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
It couldn't be a loose ground or an unplugged plug? But it'll be checked more throughly in the morning before work.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
No..you can completely remove you're engine harness and still have power....the only plugs under an intake mani (turbo car) are "2 knock sensors, 2 bvsv's, cold start injector, starter signal wire, transmision reverse signal wire". Non of which will cause you these problems

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Well I know for sure there is a loose plug there, but after a long night at ups I think I've figured out. I think our battery charger isn't functioning properly. I don't know why I didn't think about it earlier but my grandpa just used it earlier last week and then directly went out and had to buy a new battery for his truck. So I think that maybe it.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
why a :)? btw found out what the problem was after I got to work on the car in broad daylight, turns out somehow one of wires that was on the battery cable connectors got jerked out of...well i don't actually know what you would call it maybe a ground clamp or something idk(in the picture(i didn't notice it in the dark lol)). But I have power again and the car is almost finished just some vaccume hoses to go :).

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    562.6 KB · Views: 16

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
I never, not even once said you weren't right, I was just stating another possible solution that I thought of. Futhermore I was also trying to see if maybe some gracious person could help me figure out what this plug is. All I know about it is that it's running up next to the intake manifold and at 8pm when its pitch black I couldn't find its mate.

Attachments

• 1022091445-00.jpg
    1022091445-00.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 15

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
mk3_chris;1434458 said:
I never, not even once said you weren't right, I was just stating another possible solution that I thought of. Futhermore I was also trying to see if maybe some gracious person could help me figure out what this plug is. All I know about it is that it's running up next to the intake manifold and at 8pm when its pitch black I couldn't find its mate.

I miss read your post....I edited mine..my bad

where does that little plug lead into....it looks too be the plug for the transmission.

mk3_chris

Jul 31, 2007
sc
Honestly I have no idea where it is going it seems to me to be following the intake manifold up close to the fuse box, but I haven't had a chance to get up under the car because of its location. Also I know this is off topic but could you tell me what this piece is actually called and would it be a piece I'd have to obtain from toyota/junkyard/here or would a parts place be able to get it?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 11

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Hey gaboon my bimetallic has been snapped ever since I got my car, I just have bypassed it I had no idea it was important..

Could this be why it takes 2 minutes for my coolant temp gauge to kick in from startup?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Bri7man;1434521 said:
Hey gaboon my bimetallic has been snapped ever since I got my car, I just have bypassed it I had no idea it was important..

Could this be why it takes 2 minutes for my coolant temp gauge to kick in from startup?

No...but what exactly do you mean by "kick in"?

I say no because coolant temps and temp guage have no relation too the bvsv's job...although the bvsv works by using heat from coolant too actuate it (think "temp regulated valve")

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Yeah I knew it had something to do with heat and coolant so I thought I'd ask.

Before my engine was not on a crate in my garage it took 2 mins or so for the temp gauge(stock) to kick in and I mean from 0 to whatever the engine temp is currently at... wherever the temp would be at after running for 2 mins... dunno it's weird.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
It takes awhile for a cold engine too heat the water....what happens when after an hours drive you turn the car off and turn it right back on...does the needle still delay?