Wiring question

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I need to steal power from the dimmer switch location for a gauge on my A pillar. What wire would I tap onto for a switched 12 volt source and a good ground? Couldn't find what I needed on the TEWD but that's likely because I am not too familiar with it. This is for an 88 if that makes a difference in wire colour.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Are we talking about illuminating mechanical gauges?

jetjock;1541706 said:
White/black is ground, green is switched +12. If you want to dim it use the white/green.

While these are all needed inputs for gauges, is this an acceptable source for powering the gauges (other than just illumination)?

There would be no problems powering the gauges through the dim circuit?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I assumed he was talking about illumination and already understood if the gage itself is powered from there it won't work unless the tail lights are on. After all, he chose that source. Put another way I was simply answering his question...

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Yup. This is just to light up the bulb.

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

If I wanted a power source to power an actual gauge, where would be the best place to tap? I may eventually put a different gauge in this spot that requires a power source.