Wireless help

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm trying to install a wireless network at my new house. I have the cable installed and I am able to access the internet with an ethernet cable. My computer detects the wireless signal with full strength but says "limited or no connectivity". I've tried reseting everything. I have no problems accessing any other wireless network. When I "right click" the connection thingy in the bottom right hand corner and click on "repair" it says that its not able to renew my IP address and to contact my admin. FYI this is with Windows XP on a 5 y/o Dell Inspiron 6000. Thanks for any input. Also I'm a computer tard so keep the answers simple and include pics!

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Start -> Control Panel -> Network settings -> Right click the wireless Connection -> Properties -> TCP/IP (properties button) -> Make sure it is set to "Obtain an IP address Automatically"
Also make sure you have the correct Network key for it.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Ok I tried that. Still not working. I can access the router set-up doodad by typing the IP address type thing in the address bar. Is there anything I can do there?

TomFraser

I'm on a mac computer right now so this is from memory but try setting an IP address manually, this will let you know if the problem is with the DHCP server on the router, or shine light onto other issues.

This is assuming it is a simple network using what most companies use as defaults

Start -> Control Panel -> Network settings -> Right click the wireless Connection -> Properties -> TCP/IP (properties button) ->

Set IP address to 192.168.1.555 (assuming this is your subnet
Set Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Set Gateway to 192.168.1.1 (Your Router's IP)

Set DNS to 192.168.1.1
Set backup DNS to 192.168.1.1

See what happens after that.