Wiper relay or not?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
1) No wiper action in any position from the switch.
2) when activating the switch, i can hear and feel a click in the relay box in the passenger kick panel (so switch seems okay)
3) verified that wipers work in both hi and low when applying 12v directly to the pins on the wiper motor (so wiper motor seems okay)
4) verified that with the switch on, im getting 12v to the #1 pin where the cable connects to the wiper motor (again, switch seems okay)
5) verified continuity on the wiper relay, pins 1&2, verified no continuity between pins 2&5.
6) same effect with another wiper relay but cannot vouch for that one

Seems like basically i get 12v to the wiper motor but not to the pins that actually activate the movement.
Try another relay or anyone got a different idea?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
I was listening as intently as possible while activating the switch and could hear the light click. Very faint. When I unmounted the relay and pulled it out of the panel to swap in another one (no change) I could hear it a little better. I held onto the relay and worked the wiper switch to confirm by touch that it was the source of the clicking and it was. Both units that i tried made the same sound so might the sound itself indicate the relays are faulty?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Black swan event.

From what I see the wipers should work on low and high even if the relay is disconnected. So, the problem is the fuse, wiring, or switch since the motor has been tested. You checked the fuse I hope.

4) verified that with the switch on, im getting 12v to the #1 pin where the cable connects to the wiper motor (again, switch seems okay)

So you measure 12V on motor lead 1 (red blue)in high speed mode. Then there must be a problem with the motor ground. Try jumpering the motor ground to the chassis.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
3p141592654;2047276 said:
Black swan event.

From what I see the wipers should work on low and high even if the relay is disconnected. So, the problem is the fuse, wiring, or switch since the motor has been tested. You checked the fuse I hope.

So you measure 12V on motor lead 1 (red blue)in high speed mode. Then there must be a problem with the motor ground. Try jumpering the motor ground to the chassis.

Visual check on the fuse, didnt test.
I misspoke earlier. I actually tested for 12v (in low speed mode) on pin 4 of the harness connector that attaches directly to the wiper motor per this post:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?181612-Wiper-Issue

I got 12v from that harness connector which i took to suggest that the fuse and switch must be okay for current to reach it. The switch trips the relay (audible) so i didnt think switch. Also, FWIW, the washer motor and the rear wiper are both responsive from the switch.
I will try the ground jumper for the front motor in the morning.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There is a blue with red stripe, and red with blue stripe that should have B+ when you turn on the switch. That is high and low. I would start with it, and if you have it, look at the grounds as already mentioned.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Ground jump had no effect, also tried both relays in my other car and both are good.
Tried a different combo switch and no change. gave up for today and worked on other stuff. Couple hours later, replaced the radio, powered on to test and the wipers work perfectly.
Chalking it up to a pulled connection. Thanks for the help, all. I know a ton more about the wiper circuit than i did two days ago.