Windows 8 opinions?

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

seems that windows wants to get away from keyboard and mouse.

He also keeps mentioning App in this video...which is pretty much what most programs are turning into these days...

I Personally do not like it, This is not suitable for a desktop AT all....

:nono:

wonder what this is gonna do for the gaming industry.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm willing to bet it won't be that big of a change when it's on a desktop... they just keep demoing the tablet side of things because that's what looks the most revolutionary. Nobody wants to demo the same old start button and pull down menus.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
GrimJack;1718882 said:
I'm willing to bet it won't be that big of a change when it's on a desktop... they just keep demoing the tablet side of things because that's what looks the most revolutionary. Nobody wants to demo the same old start button and pull down menus.

This. Tablets are getting big and its just the hot thing right now. Touch screen is the way to go though, it just needs to be developed a WHOLE ton more.

7Matt-GE

Nov 18, 2009
Becker, Minnesota
Yeah i hope you're right. You never know with microsoft sometimes though. they have been thumping that zune GUI for the past couple years now. I definitely can see the the relevance to thumping the tablet GUI for now but if there is some off chance that this GUI is transported to the desktop.

Rage comics will fly and Gentoo will be installed. :p

(of course im kidding about gentoo, eff that hahaha)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
See, I grew up getting smacked if I touched a tv screen, so it's in my nature to *not* touch screens at all. I just don't like them... The old saying that if it isn't broken, don't fix it, very much the mindset I have.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
7Matt-GE;1718900 said:
Yeah i hope you're right. You never know with microsoft sometimes though. they have been thumping that zune GUI for the past couple years now. I definitely can see the the relevance to thumping the tablet GUI for now but if there is some off chance that this GUI is transported to the desktop.

Rage comics will fly and Gentoo will be installed. :p

(of course im kidding about gentoo, eff that hahaha)

Micro$oft is just trying to get on the touch "android" train TBH. They are pretty pissed no one gives their W7 Phones a second look. Apple isn't happy and neither is MS, and google is just laughing all the way to the bank. People for the time being will always want a mouse and keyboard. looking down is annoying and putting the screen up for people to touch won't work. It is going to be very hard to get away from the Keyboard/mouse, It has endured for a long time now and will keep going for a few more decades at least.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I will say this - I bought the Asus EEE Slate tablet, runs windows 7. It's FANTASTIC. I miss the keyboard occasionally - even though it came with a bluetooth keyboard, I rarely carry it around, but I literally never miss the mouse.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
te72;1718930 said:
See, I grew up getting smacked if I touched a tv screen, so it's in my nature to *not* touch screens at all. I just don't like them... The old saying that if it isn't broken, don't fix it, very much the mindset I have.

The main issue is keeping them clean. I hate touchscreens for that exact reason (I get slightly OCD with it)

But Windows 8, seriously? I really doubt there will be a reasn to upgrade for some time...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Poodles;1718972 said:
The main issue is keeping them clean. I hate touchscreens for that exact reason (I get slightly OCD with it)

But Windows 8, seriously? I really doubt there will be a reasn to upgrade for some time...

True, but most screens these days don't get that bad, look at how you use your phone.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
7Matt-GE;1718993 said:
Gorilla glass ftmfw but have you seen the Asus Honeycomb tablet? i needed new pants after touching it.

Transformer? I'm trying to get my boss to buy me one lol