Will start assembling my engine in the coming weeks and...

andreasericson

Rebuilding
Jun 5, 2007
Vaxholm
I was wondering if I will get a headache from the following fact:

Since my current turbo had a bit too much shaftplay I figured I would order an upgrade 57-trim from Driftmotion along with all the other stuff I needed.

However I have not yet gone as far as getting a set of 550s and a lexus AFM, figuring this would come later on.

I will be installing a Walbro-pump as well as the Aeromotive AFPR-kit from driftmotion.

Now, I have not built a 3" exhaust yet, but that is in the making this summer, and my question/s is basically:

Will I run into fuelcuts on a stock exhaust and a 57-trim?

Will I run into fuelcuts on a 3" turbo-back exhaust and a 57-trim?

If not, then what pressure can the stock injectors/afm be used to?

The reason I am asking is that i _assume_ that an upgraded turbo will flow more at the same PSI/BAR and thus hit fuelcut at a lower pressure, correct?

P.S. It is all ordered through a workshop that a friend and fellow supraowner runs, so I wont be installing it all on my own :)

Thanks in advance.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
Without a boost controller and a properly functioning wastegate you will not hit FCO with stock exhaust or upgraded exhaust. With that turbo, you'll probably hit FCO in the 9-11psi range, which will be perfectly safe.

andreasericson

Rebuilding
Jun 5, 2007
Vaxholm
Bishop92t;1046611 said:
Without a boost controller and a properly functioning wastegate you will not hit FCO with stock exhaust or upgraded exhaust. With that turbo, you'll probably hit FCO in the 9-11psi range, which will be perfectly safe.

Thank you very much, this eases my mind.

andreasericson

Rebuilding
Jun 5, 2007
Vaxholm
While I am at it...

I think my current stock bypass valve is a bit iffy as it used to sound a bit "OUF-OUf-Ouf-ouf.." when i let off the throttle. Now, the usual way i suppose would be the porsche/bosch/saab route, bute I have read mixed advice on how much these will hold. I dont want to break one or have to replace it too soon.

I am not one for "form" before function so I would not go looking at BOVs for the extra sound or something equally silly, but I am still wondering... how much trouble would these cause with an mk3 running a MAF?

Should i stick to BPV until i someday decide to go speed density?

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Ive been running a BOV vented to atmosphere for years, time to time the engine sputters and stalls after a heavy blow off, but a light tap of the throttle when it comes around 1krpm at the drop or just letting out of the clutch while in gear will keep it from crapping out. SAFC neo also has a function for deceleration air to keep an electronics setup like ours from stalling after an open air blow off :)