will non turbo head work on turbo engine?

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
i just had my shop do a comression check. everthing is okay but he told me that coolant is leaking from the back of the head causing my car to overheat. im assuming that if i get a head i would need to do new head gasket too. anyway my qestion is, would a non turbo head work on a turbo? can i use the valves and cams from a non turbo. where can i find a good rebuilt head from?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
i heard somewhere that they are the same head, just the intake cam is different? but dont hold me to it lol i dont remember where i heard it.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Yes, a non-turbo head will work. I think one of the cams is slightly different, the rest is the same. It will still work, though. (Although the castings changed over the years, I believe the 91-92's were the "best"). I'm sure someone on here could give you the particulars.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
NeatOman said:
Intake and exhaust are different... so do not put a n/a intake on a turbo, but a exhaust is splendid on a turbo :)

WTF are you talking about?

Like everyone else said, the heads are exactly the same. Just different cams.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yes, the egr cooler. The aftermarket gaskets for them are shit and nothing like the genuine Toyota gasket, get the toyota gasket for it if that is indeed what is leaking back there.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
yeah my egr cooler was leaking it was loud and annoying and could smell gas inside the cabin. i blocked mine off though along with the rest of the egr. i see no difference in anything performance or loss of gas mileage. i still get about 30mpg on the highway.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
zachm611 said:
yeah my egr cooler was leaking it was loud and annoying and could smell gas inside the cabin. i blocked mine off though along with the rest of the egr. i see no difference in anything performance or loss of gas mileage. i still get about 30mpg on the highway.

u get 30mpg on the highway????? damn how i get liek 23 lol

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
okay, i burped my system again and now its running fine. what is going on, i dont see any visible leak and my compression is between 140 and 150 all through 6 cylinders, for the pass few months i have to top off the radiator or resevoir every about once a week. it runs fine until i forget to top it off again. i would beat the hell out of my car at 12psi and the temp gauge wont budge but when i park over night. the next morning it would overheat on the way to work with no boosting(i assuming because of low coolant.) it happen before and i thought it might be the turbo housing cracked but, now i have a new turbo and still the same. why is that? what is the best way to get to the egr gasket? my compression is good and i have a mhg so i really dont want to pull the head. One more thing,, what is the downside to a worn piston ring beside a cloud of smoke on start up? burnigng coolant or gas?mileage, power? i never loss any power since i had the car, its getting faster by the week, seriously.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Head is the same.
Slightly different cams from the Turbo the NA. (Moves the power around, but does not make more IMHO. Some disagree with this, but who really cares? LOL The 7M engine makes more power with more fuel and more boost. Cams are secondary to this unless your trying for ultimate power, and they are very low on the return scale v/s dollar spent. IE: You get more for your money buying a larger turbo and larger injectors and the ability to tune right with those mods than you will with different cams on a stock engine.)

Ok, back on topic. The heads are the same. (Yes, there were some intake port changes, but it makes little difference in the overall performance of the engine.)

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
just to confirm ive measured both heads and did see a small difference with the intake ports on the n/a head but it was bugger all difference(same for the intake cam).I have a theory that the castings for the heads varied according to different years that the heads were produced so that may explain the difference rather than anything intentional on toyotas part.The exhaust ports measured the same on the turbo head, and the exhaust cam had the same duration.Id personally like to dyno with both intake cams (n/a and turbo) and post up results just to confirm once and for all that the n/a cam makes a slightly meatier mid range but loses its advantage up in the higher rev range, its just hardly worth wasting the time and money on the dyno for.lol

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
there is a real big coolant port in the back of the head. maybe thats leaking?? if theres no physical coolant leaks, i think head gasket failure is why ur loosing coolant. is ur resevoir overflowing??

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
IJ. said:
There were many casting revisions....

My new head I bought is a #16 so there's a good chance these are the differences in ports you're seeing not a difference between NA/GTE.

Thanks for the confirmation, IJ:beer: