Why oil buildup in hks ssq bov ?

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
last night while taking a quick ride my car started acting really strange.
Idle going up and down , almost stalling when stopped.

Noticed some smoke behind me shen leaving an intersection after being stopped, sounded like the something to do with the bov ,-- air sucking , almost a whistle.

So I headed back home and parked it for the night.

today I removed the bov and took it apart and found a bunch of oily gunk accumuated inside it on the low side.

Cleaned it out but wondering what would cause so much oil/gunk buildup inside the bov .

Its an hks ssq vented to atmosphere.

any ideas ?

kingofyo1

Oct 22, 2008
mountain home ID
easy! oil blow-by!

this is from normal operation of the PCV valve. It allows excess pressure and some oil to be expelled from the crankcase and valve covers into the intake tract. the harder you drive; the more oil you will find in the IC/BOV and intake plenum. You can get oil catch cans for about $50 from several manufacturers.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There is no PCV valve on a 7M ;)
A gumby routed catch can or clogged TB PCV orifice will cause this though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Depends what part of the BOV the oil was in. If it was in tha back part with the diaphram, you're probably not running the filter that's needed (and comes with the BOV)

kingofyo1

Oct 22, 2008
mountain home ID
like i said, i THOUGHT it would be blowby from a pcv from driving too hard, but since there is no pcv on a 7m, then could it still be some sort of blowby or am i misguided

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
There is a PCV system...just no PCV valve ;)
I'd check to be sure the TB orifice isn't clogged up, forcing oil vapor into the accordion hose side of the system.