Why is my wheel squeaking? :(

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
ok, so the other day i raced against my friends s2k from a stop. when i launched the the car spun and fishtailed off the road a tad and the right rear wheel went BOOM BOOM BOOM til it got back on the road. then the next day i heard a squeak squeak squeak as i drove out of my driveway. it went away after some driving tho. i looked under the car and didnt see any obvious breaks or bends.. can anybody point me to some specifics to look for that could be messed up? thanks. btw its an 88 turbo 5 speed.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
crimson88;1370455 said:
ok, so the other day i raced against my friends s2k from a stop. when i launched the the car spun and fishtailed off the road a tad and the right rear wheel went BOOM BOOM BOOM til it got back on the road. then the next day i heard a squeak squeak squeak as i drove out of my driveway. it went away after some driving tho. i looked under the car and didnt see any obvious breaks or bends.. can anybody point me to some specifics to look for that could be messed up? thanks. btw its an 88 turbo 5 speed.

Based on your description, I'm gonna say backing plate. It's real easy to bend a backing plate, especially an old rusty one, and when it rides on the rotor, all sorts of noises are possible. Easy fix if it is, just take the wheel off, and bend it away from the rotor.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Back plate being bent and debris are definitely the first things to check. When you say that it went "BOOM BOOM BOOM" what do you mean? Was the tire bouncing up and down? Did it hit something hard? Wheel bearing noises are typically more grinding than squeaking, but I've heard them squeaking before too. When you jack up that wheel to check it out I'd see if the wheel bearing is tight as well just in case. Easiest way is to get the load of the wheel, grab the top and bottom of the wheel firmly and try to wiggle it in and our (top in bottom out, top out bottom in)

So like this:

<----
W
H
E
E
L
---->

---->
W
H
E
E
L
<----

It should be tight, no movement or play up and down.

crimson88

Apr 26, 2009
Springdale
radiod;1370663 said:
Back plate being bent and debris are definitely the first things to check. When you say that it went "BOOM BOOM BOOM" what do you mean? Was the tire bouncing up and down? Did it hit something hard?

like the edge of the road was REALLY rough, chunks of pavement missing, and i think it made the boom noises when it spun across the rough part.

thanks guys for all your help, ill check everything youve mentioned and get back to you asap.