Why is my engine running so odd now? throwing a code 71 EGR

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Well that damn annoying to replace coolant hose in the front of the engine under the t-stat exploded on me again so i went ahead and changed it out. In the process i disconnected all the connectors in the way, moved the ps reservoir and bracket and took out what i'm assuming is the cps(black covered thing right next to the reservoir). Now that it's all back together it's running really rough. Stays running but barely. Checked the codes and i get a 34 (turbo pressure) which i've had for a while but it hasn't effected drivability. Also got a new code, 71 which has something to do with the EGR system. I really don't think i even touched anything near any EGR stuff so i'm baffled? During the process i cleaned some of the connectors with brake clean but i'm sure they're dry by now? Any ideas?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Your cps may be a tooth off? not sure if the egr code will cause drivability unless it is stuck open for reason? check and make sure your cps is aligned properly. did you ever pull the cover off? if you did not chances are its not in proper

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Me thinks you screwed up putting the CPS in. You know, the part you removed after being unsure of what it was.

The EGR code is because your EGR isn't working.

I won't get into the code 34 thing. Let someone else handle it.

edit: beaten by 89...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
EGR code is because it's not detecting the proper temp, if it's running like shit and the timing is way off from the CPS being installed wrong it's a possibility that the EGR code will go away once it's fixed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OfnaRcR4;1592947 said:
Well crap. I've tried searching and i'm still a bit confused. How do i adjust the CPS after i've installed it correctly?

You don't adust. If it is off a tooth, it is not installed correctly. After you install it correctly, you can check for build up inside the EGR tubes. But maybe you shouldn't.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Tried all that last night but everytime i put the cps in the gear kept moving when i was putting it in. I'll have another go at it in a bit.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Obviously your timing is way off. You need a timing light to do this job properly. It can run very rough even if you are on the right tooth of the CPS if its not adjusted correctly.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Thanks everybody for the feedback! Turns out the TSRM was just confusing me on the whole TDC thing when it said to look for the lobe in the oil cap. Finally pulled the timing cover and got it to TDC and installed the CPS in the same position that it was in before and the car runs fine now. Thanks for all the help!