Why don't more MK3's Drag race?

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I do it all w/ my car, its a total all around fun car. I like that I can do GT racing stuff on the highway to the track, get some runs in, then drive 3 hrs somewhere, run a road course, then come home. Its not a purpose built drag car like some on here are, but the new setup should hold its own.

I enjoy dragging my car just as much as the next guy, there's must more out there than that though.

cliffs: winter blows :(

Janz99

Jun 6, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
upgradedsupra;1237868 said:
Janz, you might want to build the 2J if you plan on going that fast. ;)

I was hoping to build the 2jz this season, but with everything that needs to go in the car (and to have it ready for summer) the engine build will have to wait untill the following season. Id be happy if i can get a high 9 second slip out of the car next year on the stock bottom end 2jz. I have a spare engine, and plenty of nitrous, so hopefully it will go according to plans!

Ryan

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
i dont know but the first day i got my car it was the speed for sale event and i was going to go in my rx-7 but traded it for my poopra. so i went stright from picking up my car to the track. I ran a 19.182. I blew the top ic pipe off the car clean off as in laying under the hood. the prevous owner thought it would be good idea to replace the stock ic pipes with pvc. that was fun but im renting alabama international dragway this may (pm me if you want in) and i hope to runing low 14s or high 13 in my supra and i want to run 11-12 in my cougar. I love drag racing at a track like steel where any thing goes. i was there a while back and watch a laundry mat truck race a f-250 work truck. the next guy up was a 2500 hp mustang. i love that you cant find that in any other auto sport in world. and despite what some people say drag racing is cheap compared to other forms of racing but hell we all know racing is not cheap but i think i can hit 11-12 sec range in my cougar with 8 grand in car including seats paint and the price of the car and low 14s for a total of $1500 in my supra(im counting the car as free i did not have any money in my rx-7).

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well here are the possible reasons...

-the car is not ready to go to the drag strip
-the car is too nice (matter of oppinion)
-or the owner just doesn't give a shit about drag racing

i most definitely fall into the first category... and to be honest i don't really care too much for drag racing either... circuit racing is MUCH more appealing... IMO... i mean come on... lotus designed independent suspension???.... And, yeh, you could make a hell of a drag racer, but meh...

with all that said, i will most likely drag race my car, even though it's not really my thing

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
I run my car all the time! who cares if its a n/a and its slow its still fun! i drive it 45 min to the track run it at the track and drive it home! I plan on doing some auto-x with it too in the near future. look out body roll city here i come!!!!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
frontierguy25;1237886 said:
I don't think that any car is really built for the drag strip, everyone just brings their car and moddifies it to run good at the track. Quite honestly our cars aren't that much different from Mustangs (yes I said it). Other than our IRS and Tems, but Cobra had IRS too and most people ditch the TEMS. I don't look at a Supra and think Luxury at all. It's more like Wow there is another one running!!

Most Cobra guys serious about drag rip their junk IRS out immediately after it breaks on the third pass with DRs, first with slicks lol. Mustangs are a lot lighter than our cars (ignoring 05+) and being live axle makes a huge difference... Some aftermarket control arms and sub frame connectors (two more advantages Supras don't have... No aftermarket options) and a Mustang with bolt ons is cutting a 1.5x 60ft or lower on a good DR, even lower on slicks. Compare that to Supras putting down over 700hp that can barely go 1.9.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I know a lot of Cobra's with IRS that drag their cars and still going strong, and those cars weigh right at 3850:aigo: that's a lot more than our cars. My friends 03 Mach 1 weighed in at 3628 without the spare and only 1/4 tank of gas. I've gone 1.95-2.0 60' times on street tires, 275/40/17 so it's all up to the driver. I have to drive my car 50 min to the 1/4 mile track and I drive home after running! Now my car only has low 400rwhp and maybe that is why I can launch my car and not break anything. But I'm on the stock rear end, ds, tranny! With my new tires, and a little race gas I'm going for high 11's low 12's this sat!!

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
frontierguy25;1238560 said:
I know a lot of Cobra's with IRS that drag their cars and still going strong, and those cars weigh right at 3850:aigo: that's a lot more than our cars. My friends 03 Mach 1 weighed in at 3628 without the spare and only 1/4 tank of gas. I've gone 1.95-2.0 60' times on street tires, 275/40/17 so it's all up to the driver. I have to drive my car 50 min to the 1/4 mile track and I drive home after running! Now my car only has low 400rwhp and maybe that is why I can launch my car and not break anything. But I'm on the stock rear end, ds, tranny! With my new tires, and a little race gas I'm going for high 11's low 12's this sat!!

keep us posted on how you do this sat!! im very eager to hear about it!... as for the mustang comment..there still a ford :nono: :1zhelp: lol. I'd much rather have my supra :biglaugh:

SlowSupra

Underconstruction
Oct 29, 2006
Maryland
My car is not done yet......I'm gonna set it up for drag racing and street use. Untill it gets done I'm having fun running my camaro.

Matt

SlowSupra

Underconstruction
Oct 29, 2006
Maryland
frontierguy25;1238560 said:

Friend of mine went 10s on stock blower and irs. Yes they are def heavy.

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Ya i cant wait to get back home this spring and run at the 1/8 mile. last summer i ran there alot, but my car was slow, i didn't have alot done to it at the time. There was another kid always there with his camero running 8.7's and he was always running his mouth cause he kept beating me, i was running 9.1's :(.... BUT hes got it coming to him this spring :D hahah I should be in the low 8's to high 7's now.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
suprafanatic;1238614 said:
Ya i cant wait to get back home this spring and run at the 1/8 mile. last summer i ran there alot, but my car was slow, i didn't have alot done to it at the time. There was another kid always there with his camero running 8.7's and he was always running his mouth cause he kept beating me, i was running 9.1's :(.... BUT hes got it coming to him this spring :D hahah I should be in the low 8's to high 7's now.

You will need some tires for sure. I could get some descent 60' times with street tires but you will need to get another set of wheels and put some sticky tires on them! BTW, I have already pm'd you all of my mods before

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
In response to the original topic.

I'm more into road racing and my car couldn't pass inspection (they do have tech here). Currently it needs new PS hoses and a new water pump gasket to stop the leaks and I don't trust the original 20 yo fuel pump to hold up at the track. I'll have all that + the water pump replaced by next month.

Once I get around to doing the exhaust(HKS LET-T16)/downpipe(BIC 3" non-divorced) I'll go to the dyno and strip once or twice per upgrade just to do some tuning and get some numbers. Other than that I'm not into going fast in a straight line.

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
pscorkr and I road race pretty consistently. the cars do really well, especially on race rubber. I have autocrossed this car for 5 years and always been competitive even when i was non turbo