Why does my MKIII shimmy when going over small bumps in the road??

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Pretty much what the title states. When I'm going over little bumps in the road (or even big ones), my car shimmys. Like it shakes in the rear, and it pulls to the right. It's a terrible feeling, and there's a lot of road noise.

Mine is a 88 Targa top, with 1uz and solid mounts, I want to suspect subframe bushings in the rear, but I haven't had a chance to inspect it yet. I just wanted to know if anyone else had this same ordeal.

Also, it doesn't feel any worse with the targa off.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd start by retorquing your bolts on your subframe/suspension. That gets overlooked by a lot of people. If you've got a grinding noise may want to check wheel bearings.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
it's definitely not a wheel bearing, I guess one of these days when I get a chance I'll put the car on the lift. I've been slowly falling in love with my Supra again. I've been driving my S2000 for a few months, and then decided to change the starter (shiver) in the supra, and have been driving her, and slowly liking it again, I just want the car to be good again.

Does anyone have any experience with subframe bushings/collars/solid units?

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
look at your tires too, lots of things can happen with old tires that make that kind of symptom

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Tires are new, I haven't had a chance to put it on the lift, but I'm going to retorque the suspension first. I know this is asking for some spoon feeding, but does anyone have a "how to" on it?

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
Thanks Poodles, you are a lifesaver! I'm going to do this Saturday, and I'll report back

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Fronts on mine were VERY loose, and the backs are a royal pain to do because of the high torque (hard to put your weight into something when you're on your back :rofl:)

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
ha ha, so I couldn't stand the shimmy any more and got one of the guys to free up a lift for me....you guys are never going to believe this, the FRONT sway bar had lost all four bolts, and was only held in by the end links! Put new bolts in and it, and now the rear shimmy is gone!

Hmm weird lol

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Falken;1696750 said:
ya my car shakes bad when i take the targa off... the car feels like its going to break in half. :(

That's pretty normal for the MKIII, MKIV is a little bit stiffer.

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
I was wrong, drove it over and still the same shimmy. All the subframe bolts are torqued...any other suggestions? I'm going to put it back on the rack tomorrow and see if I notice something

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Anything is possible.

Honestly though, rear shimmy sounds like a bushing issue. If the tire changes toe from bumps it could make the rear end do very weird things.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I had 2 bad bushings in my rear suspension and it caused me some shimmy! I went out and bought a "full" poly urethane bushing kit... it came with every bushing but the bad ones haha. Its ok I just got some new stockers from Toyota.

Now I have all new bushings, no shakes and no squeaks :)

Mine were so bad, I could jack up my rear tires, grab the tire, and move the wheel/hub around!