Why do most of the MKIII owners not buy hood struts?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Compton74;1837494 said:
don't forget the time the wind blows back and cracks your windshield. ask me how i know
You know, I went the other route with mine (or, it came like this), and have a normal hood prop. However, when the wind blows hard enough, and picks your hood up just enough to let the prop drop, and your hood slams... that's no fun. Fortunately my struts are blown (painter didn't bother taping them off, I guess it blew the seals a little due to the overspray), so they'll work nicely with the CF hood. :)

YakuzaKirby;1837455 said:
if you go on google images and search "supra stick" the first two things you see-

now i wanna see somebody spend the money for one of those supra sticks to hold theyre hood up lol :biglaugh:
I think this is where the term came from originally. ;)

Give me a couple days, I'll see if I can upload some pictures of the 46, you guys will love my solution for holding the trunk open while I cleaned it out...

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
The hood struts on my Lexus SC400 are getting weak. Will only hold the hood up when its warm.

Oh...wait a tick. I rarely have to open the hood on my SC. 1UZ ftw!:evil2:

The supe...well...the hood is open everyday just about, but with good struts!

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
supra1008;1837404 said:
I forget who it was that made a foldable hood prop out of a golfclub. Looked good! Was it rodel? I don't remember.

that was Brad, tekadeus or however its spelt. I think I got it right actually. Ummm I remember there being a small flaw with that, what it was I cant remember for the life of me. But I do recall seeing some minor damage caused by it in some way or another

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
working on the supra is almost always upsetting, when the hood hits you on the head it just lets you know it break time.

and you feel like you did something important because your hurt and maybe bleeding.

how else do you know you have been working hard?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Hood struts are fine till it hits zero degrees, then all bets are off.

I used the hole from the right side strut to mount my breather can.

The dead left strut is still there, and I hold my hood up with this when I want it open.

41t6aXA%2BU7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got it for $12 from the snap-on guy back when I got tired of replacing the hatch struts on my DSM every other year.

The red adds at least 10hp when the hood is open, too.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I still prefer the thought of having something attached to both the hood and the body, due to the [strike]occasionally[/strike] frequently high winds around here. Poodles, I wish those pictures were a little bigger on Jegs, the idea seems alright, kind of like tent poles...

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
I have something @ work design just for this application. A lot of our Guard doors are made of 5/16" lexan and they intend to get heavy. So we installed shocks with safety lock. Once its lift the cylinder lock it self and to unlock the cylinder you simply pull the knob (locking-pin).

phatbimmer

Toyota Technician
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
www.funpedia.org
I never had the hood fall on me, my hood shocks were great. I've seen it all super windy summer chicago days and nothing it stood like a champ. I love hood shocks and the best part is popping them off to have the hood open wider (completely agree its great when working on the car) is super easy. I'll never go stupid stick ever :icon_razz

T3rril79

Dec 10, 2010
Huntsville Alabama
phatbimmer;1837921 said:
I never had the hood fall on me, my hood shocks were great. I've seen it all super windy summer chicago days and nothing it stood like a champ. I love hood shocks and the best part is popping them off to have the hood open wider (completely agree its great when working on the car) is super easy. I'll never go stupid stick ever :icon_razz

agreed, I just find props (sticks, bats,etc.) to be very cumbersome and they just portray a message of cheap imo.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
phatbimmer;1837921 said:
I never had the hood fall on me, my hood shocks were great.
I meant if you didn't have the hood shocks, you have only a hood prop holding up your hood, and the wind blows... picks up your hood, prop goes whichever way, hood slams... not pretty. :nono:

benchwarmer;1838085 said:
The hood falling on you is not so bad. My hatch closed on me once, I thought it broke my spine.
Same here man, I learned not to stand in the center of the hatch after the catch fell right in the middle of my back. That was NOT pleasant.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Wow. 6 pages about this..

Out of 5+ years of supra ownership I have had hood struts for 2 years. And it was the best ~$50 I spent on the car. It was always one of those items on my to do list, it was one of those things I never really remembered or cared about until I did it.