Why can't they ever take a cab?

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
http://www.wset.com/news/stories/0310/713964.html
Campbell Co., VA - A fatal accident Sunday night in Campbell County claimed the life of a teacher at Rustburg Middle and High schools.

Police say 62-year old Hermione Stickel-Wommack was killed after a driver tried to pass another vehicle on a double line on Leesville Road and ran head-on into Wommack's car.

Counselors have been at the middle school Monday trying to console those who knew her. The principal of Rustburg Middle, Richard Burge, says it has been a difficult day there.

Since the day she started, co-workers say Wommack's love of teaching and life had a way of bringing out the best in students and staff.

The class where Hermione Stickle-Wommack once taught is empty and quiet. It's like void her friends and co-workers are feeling with the news of her death.

“It was shock! It's a great loss to all of us," Amy Sangson teacher Rustburg Middle said.

Faculty began learning the news before school began. Then they had the difficult task of explaining it to students.

“Some have been very quiet, some didn't want to come into her room. At this age trying to understand grief, some of them don't know how," Sangson said.

Principal Richard Burge says since Wommack started teaching Spanish at the school in 2007, the program flourished, they even had to add more classes.

"We've loved having her and the students enjoyed having her as a teacher."

Faculty members say Wommack was an avid traveler; she went on missions trips, and taught English lessons in China.

She even brought back chopsticks for Burge as gift from her last visit.

"She was very witty, had a good sense of humor. She even corrected my Spanish frequently when I would try to speak Spanish. She was a very loving person."

"Hermione was a wonderful person. She was the kind of person you wanted to be friends with," Sangson said.

State Police say 34-year-old Mark Elliott of Lynch Station was driving the car that hit her and that alcohol and speed were factors in the crash.

Elliott is in critical condition at Lynchburg General Hospital, and police say charges are pending.
You've all seen it a thousand times I'm sure. Mrs. Wommack was my best friend's stepmother, my doctor's mother, and my 8th grade Spanish teacher. Needless to say I knew her well.

I know there's not much the Supramania community can do, but maybe it'll serve to discourage a couple more people from drinking and driving.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
drunk drivers will keep doing what they are doing until something happens that personally effects them..
they think "oh well im careful, im not so drunk.. nothins gonna happen"

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Kevin;1527525 said:
drunk drivers will keep doing what they are doing until something happens that personally effects them..
they think "oh well im careful, im not so drunk.. nothins gonna happen"

Agreed, however, if you are driving intoxicated.. please don't try to pass anyone on a two lane road.

@Ret: Sorry for your loss, I've personally lost a cousin and a teacher thru car accidents, hopefully it encourages people not to drive like such assholes sometimes.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
whitemike;1527561 said:
Agreed, however, if you are driving intoxicated.. please don't try to pass anyone on a two lane road.

Therein lies the problem. something you'd never consider sober becomes a good idea with a couple of drinks in you. The defense of the driver who drives drunk is always something along the lines of "i wasn't drunk, i could function just fine"...sure, but if you are in the frame of mind to think driving is a good idea, can you trust your instincts to guide you correctly behind the wheel?

To the OP, news like this is never good, and sorry it had to happen to someone close to you (sorry it has to happen to anyone, but knowing them makes it worse).

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I'm real sorry to hear about this. Having known a few guys who always drove when they had been drinking back when I was in school, and I don't normally associate with people that do things like that, but it was school, they usually seem to think that they actually drive better when they've got a few in them. With such evidence to back up their claims like "I parked my car better in the driveway when I was drunk". Personally I think its total BS, but thats what fuels the few drunk drivers I've met.