who's not using a metal hg?

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i wanted to see who's using something other than a metal hg and what your using! also if anyone is making some good numbers with the oem head gasket!
im going to be rebuilding my engine before long and wanted to know if i could make decent power using a oem hg?

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I think the most people are running with a composite gasket is about 4-450. The felpro or toyota gasket is not bad. It just cant hang if you get much detonation.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Quit looking for people to back up a bad idea. Sure people can pull it off, but why? If you are doing a proper rebuild, it is not much more expensive and it's the right way to do it.

Build it once, build it right.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
its just the fact that i have 4 kids and im not trying to spend a fortune and i dont have to have a friggin power house... i want something that is going to be fun to drive and have some power. so i guess what im asking is, if i use a composite or graphite hg can i still make the 7mgte a reliable engine, without having to worry about bhg....
and im not trying to get anyone to back up anything. im simply looking for a few answers thats all.

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Man, I feel you 100% on that but I only got 1 kid...but I completely understand that.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
You're doing a full rebuild right? If you are, I'd just go MHG. If you're just changing the HG then go composite. Composite HGs are ok if you're not making tons of power and they're torqued down.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
cruisnhard;958142 said:
I think the most people are running with a composite gasket is about 4-450. The felpro or toyota gasket is not bad. It just cant hang if you get much detonation.

Ask yourself if you really want to hold the head and block together under that heavier detonation.

C

cnewingham

Here is what I was doing on a stock hg @ 13psi on a daily basis for about 9 months. I was in the process of building a motor with mhg and all the other stuff during that 9 months though.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
nice thats what im looking for just something to play around with.
im just changing the head gasket and switching the head from one engine to another.

Ish

SM Pimp
Apr 5, 2005
Socal
I went with an OEM headgasket when I had my engine rebuilt. I retorqued the head to 85 lbs about 6 months after. I'm running stock boost though, and I'm not planning on raising it.

I have an Apexi intake, 3" DP and neck, a catback with 3" piping, and a 57 trim CT26 .

It's been 2 years since the rebuild and I haven't had any problems.

oscar35783

Feb 24, 2006
Jax, FL
I have OEM hg with toyota head bolt torque down to 80lb running 13psi for the past 2 years, No problem at all. I finally ordered cometic hg and arp stud, will be doing the hg next weekend. I just need more assurance plus I'll be running higher boost soon.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
just save the money and get the mhg ..... i have been on the stocker for 2+years and 14psi but i m building another motor with a mhg and forged pistons

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Headgasket wasnt the problem on the 7M, it was the torque spec. I see nothing wrong with running the stock gasket if your power goals aren't high and money is tight as long as you replace the head bolts and torque them properly.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Running the stocker with ARP studs. I was on a severely tight budget when I did my overhaul, with zero budget for block machine work. I didn't have the budget for the head either, but ended up getting it done anyhow, as it really did need it.

The block surface looked good, felt good, and a straightedge said that it wasn't warped.

The head was perfect after machine work. I still feel more confident with the OEM Toyota HG in there rather than a MLS gasket.

So, it's not "done right" -- but I feel that for my power goals, it'll work. If I'm going to up my power goals, I'll be going with a ported and polished head, so that necessitates replacing the head gasket anyway.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dan_Gyoba;959104 said:
Running the stocker with ARP studs. I was on a severely tight budget when I did my overhaul, with zero budget for block machine work. I didn't have the budget for the head either, but ended up getting it done anyhow, as it really did need it.

The block surface looked good, felt good, and a straightedge said that it wasn't warped.

The head was perfect after machine work. I still feel more confident with the OEM Toyota HG in there rather than a MLS gasket.

So, it's not "done right" -- but I feel that for my power goals, it'll work. If I'm going to up my power goals, I'll be going with a ported and polished head, so that necessitates replacing the head gasket anyway.

Dan: Actually it IS done right ;)

Wrong would have been laying an MLS on the block as it was, the Composite has a much better chance of sealing up and you're smart enough to keep it out of detonation!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you have a fuel delivery problem in boost(don't think it will never happen), and something has to give, a compostie gasket is a much better choice than a piston.